“Neat Place”

Old Salt
Ranked #12 of 38 Restaurants in Beaufort
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located directly across from the Historical Society. Previous owners called it the Net House.
“Neat Place”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

The good was great and the service was better than I've had in 5 star restaurants. I really enjoyed the crab cake sandwich and my husband thought the soft shell crab sandwich was excellent. The secret sauce they brought out was amazing! Will definitely eat here on a return trip to Beaufort.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Gigi2eight

North Carolina
“We always return...”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

This was our best visit yet! The meal started off nicely due to our great server, John. First, he actually introduced himself which I think is just a nice touch, in general. A lot of servers we've encountered over the years miss out on this basic manner. He then went over all the specials and explained each one in detail. We started with the crab dip appetizer and it was very tasty. I ordered the Flounder en Papillote and it was delicious. The flounder was tender and full of flavor from the herbs, wine and lemon butter. Better than the last time! My husband ordered steamed shrimp and the shrimp were large and tender. We all shared and enjoyed them. Our son ordered the kid's fried shrimp basket with French fries. He loved every bite and we all nibbled on the fries. I know a lot of people have complained about the fries being limp, etc., but we really love them...they are housemade, as it the ketchup and maybe we're weird but we'll take limp fries over way-too-crispy fries any day! John was such a great server and keep our glasses full and was extremely attentive and pleasant. He was describing desserts to another couple nearby and we couldn't help but overhear. He gave such great descriptions we were already salivating and we hadn't even ordered anything. This couple ordered the butter pound cake. When John brought it out to them, we were sold, hook, line and sinker! We NEVER order dessert because we are usually just too stuffed from dinner, but one look at this cake was all it took! It's simple but wonderful...housemade butter pound cake, a light sugar glaze, a line of white frosting on the back, topped with a strawberry! The taste was amazing and the three of us devoured it quickly! I asked, kind of jokingly, if they had milk and John brought me a glass right out...it was perfect! Barbara, the owner, came over and spoke with us and we told her how much we enjoyed our meal and the service we received. She is a lovely, genuine lady who makes all of the desserts herself and takes great pride in her work and in her restaurant, obviously. She treated us like family and as if she had known us all her life. I hope more people go and visit this wonderful place. There were not nearly enough people in there for a Friday night and we hated that...she has worked hard and I just don't think the word has gotten out enough about what a find this place is! We will go back every time we're in the area because, well, because it's well worth it!

1 Thank supur38
chestnut hill
“wonderful meal, don't be put off by the looks”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

four of us stopped in to Old Salts based on the recommendation of a woman passing by. When we walked in we were suspect to say the least - it was empty and it is far from trendy inside - instead it is rather tired inside. But the food was fabulous. The oysters were amazing, the shrimp tacos were among the best I have ever had, and the crab cakes were delicious. Key lime pie was tart, fresh, and wonderful. Our waiter, Butch, was a delight: attentive, helpful, funny, polite, you name it - he was great. This is definitely a place to try. Delicious.

1 Thank nancy w
Durham, North Carolina
“Good Food and Service”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

A group of 13 of us went to the Old Salt Restaurant and Oyster Bar on July 26, 2013 for dinner. Two of our party had been there previously and recommended it. They had notified the restaurant earlier in the week that a large group would be coming in. As a result, we were given a nice private room that was set up for the group. Our waiter was great! He had a fabulous knowledge about how the food was prepared and what the specials for the evening were. He also made some great drink recommendations. We were also greeted and welcomed by the owner/chef. Several in our group had a special that was a flounder in papillote. I'm not a big flounder fan but I love fried shrimp so I ordered the shrimp burger minus the bun. It came with fries and slaw and there was a great sauce accompanying it. The shrimp were large and luscious and I was pleased with the meal and very pleased with the service. I would definitely be back when in the area.

• Visited July 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Pirate Invasion Weekend”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We went in here two times to have a cold drink and cool off. The waitress was so sweet, we really wanted to get back there for lunch or dinner but didn't make it on this trip. Very nice place.