“We had a blast and will hopefully do the tour again soon.”

Beaufort Ghost Walk
Ranked #9 of 22 Tours in Beaufort
More attraction details
Owner description: Take a stroll through over 300 years of haunted history in “America’s Best Small Town”! The Beaufort Ghost Walk is a Guided Walking Tour through the Historic District of Beaufort, North Carolina. Founded in 1709, Beaufort is the 3rd oldest town in NC, and the 12th oldest town in North America. On the Ghost Walk, you will be entertained by your Pirate Guides, as they bring history to life when they regale you with an enjoyable assortment of chilling stories, ghost ships haunted houses and interesting histories of the Beaufort area. In addition, you will hear about some of the amazing unexplainable encounters experienced by both our guests and guides during Ghost Walks of the past. All of the stories you will hear have been extensively researched and well documented and, the folklore and legends have been carefully preserved from generations of local storytellers. Returning guests will hear new stories as well as our research uncovers the treasures of the past! As enjoyable as it is entertaining, the Beaufort Ghost Walk is one of Beaufort’s most popular attractions and one that shouldn’t be missed!
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Lockers / storage, Stroller parking, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Beaufort, NC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“We had a blast and will hopefully do the tour again soon.”
Reviewed October 18, 2009

Hi!

I went on the Beaufort Ghost Walk on September 30, 2009 with my mother and 3 of my girl-friends. A couple of us had some weird experiences as we walked through the tour. For instance, we were standing in front of the house where the little boy haunts, and just after our tour guide Carrie told us that the little boy will move items around and such my friend noticed that one of her earrings was missing. She had taken them out of her ears shortly after our guide had mentioned that sometimes the ghost of the sailor would tug on ur ears and stuff like that. She didnt want them to get pulled out or anything like that so she placed them in her pocket and had them in her hands in her pocket. Just after Carrie had mentioned the playfulness of the young boy she noticed her earring was missing. She hadnt taken her hand out of her pocket and it wasnt at her feet, we looked with the flash light. She still hasn't found it we looked several times through all of her stuff even after we returned home. Also in front of the little girls grave at the cemetary I kept feeling dizzy like I was swaying on a boat or on water, and I was pinched or poked in my arm as we were walking back to the car. However, nothing is as strange as one of the photos I found on my camera after I had returned home. I have a few pictures of orbs and such which are not included, but this one photo doesn't make any sense... I know it's blurry, but after looking through not only my photos but my mother's on her camera there is no reason that figure should be there. We tried to debunk it ourselves by blaming it on the tree, but as you will see in the following picture the tree is too far away and there was nothing standing next to the porch of the doctor's house that would make that image possible, as you will see in the well lit photo of the house. This was also the point in the tour when Carrie was talking about the woman who shows up in photos on the tour. If it is a mistake on the camera that is fine I will take your word for it, but I just thought you should see this so that it could possibly be explained. We had a blast and will hopefully do the tour again soon.

Melissa Dunlap
Havelock, NC

1 Thank BGW-Customer

NC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Been on the tour many times”
Reviewed May 4, 2009

When I say many, it is probably close to a dozen. We do the tour whenever friends and family come to visit and they have never been disappointed. The tour guides are enthusiastic, love to tell stories, and are very knowledgeable about the Beaufort area.

A comment about one of the reviews: the Port City Pirate's is a totally different attraction that we can't wait to experience this summer and I can't believe you can't tell the difference between Morehead City and Beaufort.

1 Thank saltzp
Dayton
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“FANTASTIC Ghost Walk!!”
Reviewed April 20, 2009

From the moment we made reservations until the end of the tour, the staff was professional, interactive and encouraged fun! We enjoyed the unique sites and enthusiasm of the spectacular tour guides. Great family fun! Excellent tour! We would do it again!!

1 Thank Kerry U
Clemmons, NC
“So Much Potential...but...”
Reviewed October 19, 2008

The Beaufort Ghost Walk was the ONE I really wanted to experience more than any other--especially with The Hammock House and the many pirate references. I have to say, though, that it all works better on paper. Our guide was all decked out in pirate-like attire and she played the part to the hilt. That's where the good part ends. We marched two-by-two for about a quarter mile, stopping along the way for her to spin a few yarns...peeked at what was supposed to be The Hammock House from a distance of a few hundred yards...and then walked for another half hour or so along the streets of Beaufort. Like someone else wrote, our only real stop was the cemetery--which was quite nice, even if we weren't allowed to go in.

The next night, we did the New Bern Ghost Walk (not even the BIG one) and I recommend that one highly.

I think this Ghost Walk is designed for children, as long as the ear-splitting shrieks aren't too much. Add a few necessary stops along the way (and allow photography at more than just the cemetery) and I'll give it another go. ;)

1 Thank ChinbeardXIV
Raleigh, NC
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Arrggh!!”
Reviewed August 8, 2008

My girlfriends and I were vacationing at Pine Knoll Shores and we decided to take the Beaufort Ghost Walk Tour on 5/21/08. We all met on the boardwalk in Beaufort, everyone paid their fees, then we continued to wait over in the Gazebo area and watched the glorious sunset. Our tour guide's name was Harvey, dressed in pirate attire. Harvey had a wonderful personality! He was very knowledgeable about the history of Beaufort, Shackleford Banks, Blackbeard, the historic district, and the Ann St. Methodist Church.

We started our walking tour on the sidewalk near the boardwalk & Harvey started talking to us about the Shackleford Banks Spanish horses.

We then crossed the street and stopped infront of the Hammock House - Beauforts most famous haunted house. Harvey explained to us that before Beaufort was established that the ocean used to come right up to the porch! He also explained more history about the house & Blackbeard's life their.

Continuing with our tour, we walked through the historic district of Beaufort. You wouldn't believe what we learned about the houses with the historic placquards. It was truly fascinating.

After a while, we reached the 300 year old cemetary. Harvey educated us about the people who were buried there. I especially like the tail about the little girl who's buried in the keg of rum.

Overall, you must take this tour if you're visiting Beaufort or the surrounding areas! Harvey was absolutely wonderful & generous!!! This tour is great for young & old of all ages. Don't forget to take your camera!

4 Thank Emily5184