“Harvey is the best! You must do this tour!”

Beaufort Ghost Walk
Ranked #8 of 21 Tours in Beaufort
More attraction details
Owner description: Take a stroll through over 300 years of haunted history in “America’s Best Small Town”! The Beaufort Ghost Walk is a Guided Walking Tour through the Historic District of Beaufort, North Carolina. Founded in 1709, Beaufort is the 3rd oldest town in NC, and the 12th oldest town in North America. On the Ghost Walk, you will be entertained by your Pirate Guides, as they bring history to life when they regale you with an enjoyable assortment of chilling stories, ghost ships haunted houses and interesting histories of the Beaufort area. In addition, you will hear about some of the amazing unexplainable encounters experienced by both our guests and guides during Ghost Walks of the past. All of the stories you will hear have been extensively researched and well documented and, the folklore and legends have been carefully preserved from generations of local storytellers. Returning guests will hear new stories as well as our research uncovers the treasures of the past! As enjoyable as it is entertaining, the Beaufort Ghost Walk is one of Beaufort’s most popular attractions and one that shouldn’t be missed!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Stroller parking, Lockers / storage, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
NC
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“Harvey is the best! You must do this tour!”
Reviewed June 7, 2011

Let me start this off by saying that I didnt know what to expect when I saw our guide walk across the street dressed up like a pirate but once he arrived and the second he opened his mouth, I didnt stop laughing.He told great stories and made us laugh. If you are expecting paranormal activity then this is not the tour for you, but if you want a good cheap way to spend 90 minutes and learn a little bit about historic beaufort, then this is how to do it. Harvey made all of us feel welcome. He stayed in pirate character for the duration of the tour. This was just a lot of fun and I wouldnt hesitate to go on this ghost walk again...

Visited June 2011

Raleigh, North Carolina
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Shiver me timbers!”
Reviewed June 2, 2011

If you're in Beaufort, do the Ghost Walk. Our "pirate" tour guide was great. The tour is not all that scary but there's a lot of interesting history and humor mixed in with the old tales. You will make a stop near Blackbeard's house and visit the old burying ground. It's a lot of fun BUT please take bug spray. You will need it!

Visited May 2011
3 Thank tarheelgirl715
Vandalia, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Learning about Beauforts spooky history was awesome”
Reviewed November 1, 2010

We had a blast on the Ghost Walk-we were definitely scared, but we thought it was a great adveture. We had four adults and four children ages 6 months to 12 years, and it was fun for all. We have taken a different Ghost Tour in N.C. since then and there is no comparison. The cemetary was truly frightening! We took pictures and have some strange images in them with many orbs...Even if you are not a believer in this type of things the history lesson alone is worth it. I enjoyed that the stories of other people who have had wierd things happen while on the walk, that really added to the spook factor. WIll definitely do it again!

1 Thank jennyfraze
Georgetown, Kentucky
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Aye, me hearties!”
Reviewed July 29, 2010

My husband and I just looked at each other as soon as we saw our guide walk up in her pirate garb (after getting out of the white station wagon that was driven by a shirtless local). BUT...never judge a book by its cover. I'm a pretty tough sell, though, and I must say that this piece of entertainment was everything you think it should be - a lighthearted, historical tour of the town with ghostly yarns spun throughout.

CONS - You WILL NOT view the Hammock House up close and personal. She never really explained why. We only speculate it's due to neighbor's request (as it's right in the middle of other inhabited homes). You WILL NOT be able to take many pictures on the walk other than at the Old Burial Ground (and no flash at that).

PROS - You hear very detailed (and perhaps embellished) tales of Blackbeard including many tales of Hammock House. Our guide was well versed in ghost lore of many of the other homes on our walk, but we never went inside anywhere - it was all on the sidewalk. You do get to talk pictures at the cemetery and hear some of the most haunting tales while there.

NOTE: You can drive by the Hammock House on your own time and take pictures closer up (we did). Also, you can visit the cemetery during the daytime. Kids will especially like this ghost walk. Those seeking true paranormal experiences need to seek elsewhere.

2 Thank alycurry
Beaufort, NC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“We had a blast and will hopefully do the tour again soon.”
Reviewed October 18, 2009

Hi!

I went on the Beaufort Ghost Walk on September 30, 2009 with my mother and 3 of my girl-friends. A couple of us had some weird experiences as we walked through the tour. For instance, we were standing in front of the house where the little boy haunts, and just after our tour guide Carrie told us that the little boy will move items around and such my friend noticed that one of her earrings was missing. She had taken them out of her ears shortly after our guide had mentioned that sometimes the ghost of the sailor would tug on ur ears and stuff like that. She didnt want them to get pulled out or anything like that so she placed them in her pocket and had them in her hands in her pocket. Just after Carrie had mentioned the playfulness of the young boy she noticed her earring was missing. She hadnt taken her hand out of her pocket and it wasnt at her feet, we looked with the flash light. She still hasn't found it we looked several times through all of her stuff even after we returned home. Also in front of the little girls grave at the cemetary I kept feeling dizzy like I was swaying on a boat or on water, and I was pinched or poked in my arm as we were walking back to the car. However, nothing is as strange as one of the photos I found on my camera after I had returned home. I have a few pictures of orbs and such which are not included, but this one photo doesn't make any sense... I know it's blurry, but after looking through not only my photos but my mother's on her camera there is no reason that figure should be there. We tried to debunk it ourselves by blaming it on the tree, but as you will see in the following picture the tree is too far away and there was nothing standing next to the porch of the doctor's house that would make that image possible, as you will see in the well lit photo of the house. This was also the point in the tour when Carrie was talking about the woman who shows up in photos on the tour. If it is a mistake on the camera that is fine I will take your word for it, but I just thought you should see this so that it could possibly be explained. We had a blast and will hopefully do the tour again soon.

Melissa Dunlap