“Not so great lately. We've stopped going.”

Currituck BBQ Company
Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Barco
Cuisines: Barbecue
currituck NC
“Not so great lately. We've stopped going.”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I recently stopped in with my hubby for supper. I guess the manager was away, because the evening staff was playing. Not attentive to our presence. My husband leaned over the counter and got their attention, it seems we interrupted their fun...and the cashier disinterestedly took our order- barely making eye contact. She took our money, mumbled something incoherent and we dutifully took our seats. The place was empty so we sat quietly and listened to a lot of personal banter. Now, I love this place. I was eating here nearly 2 times a month, maybe 3 if I was lucky, so I know what to expect. After a bit of time, our number was called out, totally unnecessary as again, we were the only people in there at the time. Our portions were unusually small and hushpuppies were overcooked. This was not normal.
I have been in food management, so I thought I should give the owner a call. I explained everything, and he insisted he would look into it immediately, He even offered to send us a voucher for a free meal. Even after confirming our names and address, we still to this day have not received said "voucher". The whole experience left us a little gun shy and we have not been back. Because it's true, the food is on the expensive side...and I don't mind paying for quality, but when portions are cut, and attitudes are careless....I take my hard earned dollars elsewhere. I have given up on Currituck BBQ.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank twilight3380
Paul R, Owner at Currituck BBQ Company, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear Customer,

I am sorry to hear that you no longer choose Currituck BBQ as one of your favorite restaurants. I promise that the voucher was mailed and would love the opportunity to send it again as a jesture so that you may try us again. My personal cell number is 757-692-0481. Please feel free to contact me at anytime so that I may get your feedback. We take your criticism very seriously and will try our best to win you back as a loyal customer. Owning a restaurant has many ups and downs, but it is always our goal to provide the best food and service as possible. I appreciate the feedback you have provided and look forward to earning your business once again. I assure you that our recipes have not changed and that your negative experience has been addressed. Future feedback is always welcomed as we strive to be the best.

Paul Robinson
Owner
Currituck BBQ
757-692-0481

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Real southern BBQ!”
Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

We luckily stopped here on our way home from the outer banks. We followed signs to it. Got there and could tell it was going to be good. I had the 3 meat combo with Mac n cheese and fries. The pulled pork was my favorite. The chicken was really tender and had a great smokey flavore to it. The brisket beef was top notch too. They have about 8-10 sauces that you can add to the meat too. The BBQ was amazing and I am glad we came to this place. Next time we are in the outer banks we will make sure we stop at this place again.

• Visited April 2013
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“NC BBQ”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

You can't miss the hot pink pig sign on the hwy! This place is a guaranteed stop for me when passing through Currituck! The smokey flavor of the pit cooked bbq is just right, throw some collards, fried okra, and hush puppies on the side...doesn't get much more southern than that! I have to add that the commentary of the "pig technicians" is not exactly witty, but it is quite entertaining.

• Visited March 2013
Freehold, New Jersey
“Worth the stop!”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

If you can get past the seemingly sketchy exterior you will be pleasantly surprised. We ordered a variety of items ranging from ribs to fried chicken. Everything we had was great. The hush puppies were well made. The variety of sauces really made eating your food an adventure. I suggest waiting for the fried chicken to be made as its worth the 20+ minute wait. Super fresh and tasty. This place seems to get super busy after church on Sundays. We were glad we got there early in the day.

Baltimore, Maryland
“What you think of, when you think of a BBQ joint!”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

What a pleasant surprise!
We came upon this place when driving down to Hatteras, I had seen it listed as a local business on Yelp, but honestly thought we had already driven by.
So glad we didn't!
It was rainy and cold when we stopped in, and the friendly service and barbeque smells warmed us right up. The menu is very straightforward, only its hard to choose!
Everything we ate was absolutely delicious. I liked the brisket bbq sauce, my boyfriend liked the house bbq, both were great.
We liked this place so much, we stopped for lunch on our way home.
Hush puppies + bbq sauce = crazy delicious
I am both sad and happy that it isn't close by.

• Visited May 2012