“An Experience of a Lifetime!”

The Jungle Place - Tours
Ranked #2 of 3 things to do in Chemuyil
More attraction details
Owner description: The Jungle Place is a licensed sanctuary for the endangered Spider Monkey. They rescue and rehabilitate orphaned monkeys who were victims of the illegal pet trade, poaching, habitat destruction and exploitation. All too often these beautiful, highly intelligent primates become victims when humans and nature collide in a natural paradise like The Riviera Maya. The in-person tours they offer to help support the sanctuary are the very definition of sustainable and ecologically responsible tourism.The owners, Heidi and Joel, are a wonderful couple who originally moved to the area to retire but instead devoted their lives to care for these rescued monkeys. They provide them with an incredible amount of love, individual attention, medical care and specialized diets, all within a beautiful and meticulously well-kept habitat right in their native jungle.Visit in-person to meet the owners and the monkeys, view the facilities and habitat, and see first-hand the level of care that your donation helps provide. Be sure to reserve your tour well in advance, as they allow only a very limited number of visits per week.
Reviewed November 8, 2017

My husband and I visited The Jungle Place this month during our honeymoon. I cannot say enough good things about this place and about the owners, Heidi and Joel. You can immediately see how much they love and care for the monkeys--it is their life! I appreciated that this place was not a "zoo" and is truly a sanctuary for these endangered animals to have a chance at life. This experience was one we always remember and we can't wait to return one day. Thank you Heidi and Joel for all you do...and for taking so many awesome photos for us!

Also...for those of you who have heard about Luna. I thought she was a sweetheart :) She cuddled with us most of the time...we just didn't touch her and all was fine.

All reviews
in 10 reviews
"taking pictures"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed October 17, 2017 via mobile

Such an amazing place!! My dream come true for me to interact with monkeys!! The owners are amazing and the work they put in day in and day out shows.

Reviewed October 9, 2017 via mobile

Me and my friend visited back in september and we loved it! Heidi and her family are amazing people and i would highly recomand everyone who wants to help them and the spider monkeys out to go and visit them and get a tour. It was one of the highlights from our trip to Mexico and the monkeys are so cute and fun! ❤️

Reviewed October 7, 2017 via mobile

Booked this as a treat for my mum on her first trip to Mexico. Wasn't sure what to expect. Could never have imagined how fabulous the experience was or how magical the day would be. We sat and cuddled rescued spider monkeys who seem to be absolutely thriving in their environment. All of the monkeys were so affectionate, even Luna as long as you don't touch her. But personally I loved her attitude!! Heidi and her husband were so informative and passionate and all the supporting staff were happy to take photos. You must buy a tshirt afterwards to support the cause. A day I'm sure you'll remember for the rest of your life.