7th September 2017
Today we got to go to the Jungle Place!!
We had no trouble booking with Heidi. She answered all of my emails and questions that I asked, gave directions and a telephone number incase we got lost. If you don't hear back straight away it could be due to the fact that they live in the jungle and the wifi isn't always connected. Just resend email.
We knew we were quite a way from the area as we were staying at the Sensatori hotel. We got a taxi which cost 900 pesos each way which we agreed when we booked. It was about an hour and 20 mins and the driver found it perfectly with Heidi's directions even though it is well hidden. The taxi driver waited for us whilst we were there.
Having read the reviews all good with a minimal amount of bad, we weren't disappointed at all.
It is a great relaxed approach, this is mostly because it is Heidi and Joel's home and the love and passion they have for the monkeys are the most important things to them. They are amazing with the monkeys. They know each ones name and story. They only do the contact sessions to get enough money to feed and care for the monkeys. We did start late but they were very kind to wait for a couple who struggled to get there.
Heidi and Joel were interesting to talk to and told us about their amazing work and how it all started. They are friendly, accommodating and answered questions
The experience was amazing. I read things on Trip advisor about Luna who is a bit of a naughty lady!! Some saying she shouldn't be there because it worried people (she doesn't like to be touched). But she is part of the colony and shouldn't be expected to sit out of the fun. Heidi and Joel wouldn't allow this anyway
Everyone was aware not to touch her before we went in and we all helped each other out in recognising her so as not to upset her. Joel was on hand to point her out too.
Be prepared to be sat on every part of your body. Expect to have monkey bums in your face and to get your head groomed, to be stepped on and cuddled. We were lucky not to have any poo and wee but I expected it.... monkeys aren't proud!!
Be prepared that you may not have a monkey sit on you/cuddle you. They are not trained and it is not a show. Although rescued and have had previous human contact they still have minds of their own!!
1. don't wear any repellent or sun cream. This can be dangerous to the monkeys and make them sick. You will be asked to wash it off if you are wearing it.
2. Don't wear any jewellery or hair clips or flip flops (although you can go in bare foot). No boob tube tops, they will have them down in a flash!
3. The area that you go in is quite small and there are usually up to 12 people so it becomes hot. Keep hydrated before you go in.
4. Be prepared for Heidi and Joel to use your camera. They take loads of pictures! Afterwards we all swapped email addresses and one of the group will set up a flicker account so that we can all download our photos. It's a great idea with no hidden costs.
5. This is not a zoo and is not commercialised so don't expect cafes or shops or anything like that.
6. Take some money though and buy a T Shirt!! It helps to support the sanctuary and you will regret it if you don't!!
7. If you are not an animal lover or can become anxious or nervous about animal contact this probably isn't the place for you, but if you love animal contact and are relaxed about having animals walking over you, you will have the most amazing experience.
8. Book well in advance as they only do 2 sessions a week. It's not the sort of thing that you can book the day before.
Thank you Heidi and Joel. you truly are amazing
Debbie & Nigel Bristol UK
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.