“An experience you will never forget !”

The Jungle Place - Tours
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Chemuyil
More attraction details
Owner description: The Jungle Place is a licensed sanctuary for the endangered Spider Monkey. They rescue and rehabilitate orphaned monkeys who were victims of the illegal pet trade, poaching, habitat destruction and exploitation. All too often these beautiful, highly intelligent primates become victims when humans and nature collide in a natural paradise like The Riviera Maya. The in-person tours they offer to help support the sanctuary are the very definition of sustainable and ecologically responsible tourism.The owners, Heidi and Joel, are a wonderful couple who originally moved to the area to retire but instead devoted their lives to care for these rescued monkeys. They provide them with an incredible amount of love, individual attention, medical care and specialized diets, all within a beautiful and meticulously well-kept habitat right in their native jungle.Visit in-person to meet the owners and the monkeys, view the facilities and habitat, and see first-hand the level of care that your donation helps provide. Be sure to reserve your tour well in advance, as they allow only a very limited number of visits per week.
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Went to Playa del Carmen to relax with no "tours" planned. Found Jungle Place on Tripadvisor and knew we had to meet Heidi and Joel. Our visit far exceeded any of our expectations. Heidi and Joel are the most amazing, caring, human beings I have ever met. Their dedication to rescuing and caring for these wonderful, loving spider monkeys is beyond words. The experience of sitting down and having these monkeys come to you, cuddle with you, sit on you, hold your hands, and look at your with such beautiful faces brought tears to my eyes.

PLEASE BOOK A TOUR, the fee goes totally to the care of the monkeys. People need to know about this sanctuary, visit, donate and help them continue their miracle work.

2  Thank mzmeow2004
in 12 reviews
"via paypal"
"quintana roo"

Reviewed January 22, 2014

We visited The Jungle Place Jan 2014, where we met Heidi and Joel and the greatest little primates ever. I was extremely impressed, as I saw the love and dedication these wonderful people have shown for their friends, the spider monkeys.

Heidi and Joel gave up their dreams of retirement. They gave up holidays, and they gave up anything even resembling a normal life in order to care for these monkeys that no one else would take responsibility for. They have taken in the neglected, the abused, and the starving. They have provided warm, loving, care (round the clock) for the babies who might otherwise, have no hope of survival .

If you read (on their website) the story of how they got "hooked" on spider monkeys, you will understand that they didn't plan this lifestyle, they were only trying to help one little guy that was basically given NO hope to live by their local veterinarian.

It is a huge task that they have accepted and likely somewhat of a hardship as well. It appears they alone are shouldering the cost for the care of these little orphans. There is no government funding, no community support, and no chance of respite that would allow this couple to "get away" for a few days. Not that they would leave. They say the monkeys get anxious if someone else tries to care for them, or if they don't see "their momma and papa" on a daily basis. Heidi and Joel, have named every single monkey on this site. Every monkey has a story, and they can tell the best and sometimes the saddest stories about each and every one.

In order that they can raise enough money to continue the medical treatments, the feeding, and maintain the safety of these little guys in humane and secure enclosures..... they have been offering "tours". We, the "common people" get a chance to get up close and personal with their furry little friends. Never before have I had the chance to touch, let alone "cuddle" with a monkey. Truly it was the thrill of a lifetime for me. I was absolutely overwhelmed by this whole experience.

I HIGHLY recommend you visit this rescue site. In doing so, I hope you will remember that without our contributions, they will not be able to carry on. 100% of your entry fee is put towards caring for their wards. There are other monkeys waiting until Heidi and Joel have the funds to add on to their rescue site. They 'need' public attention and support.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

My family and I have recently visited The Jungle Place and all I have to say is it was amazing. To hear Heidi and Joe tell the story of how most of these primates come to them is so sad. I cannot believe how people could be so cruel. Heidi and Joe came to Mexico 14 years ago and bought a piece of land to retire and instead started a sanctuary to protect these babies from harm. But for them to keep doing what they do they need people like us who care about cruelty to animals to visit their place. They do not get any government funding and without our help these lovely animals would surely perish. So if you get a chance visit their website and better if you are ever in that area stop in and say hello. We are from Canada and I hope to make it back there one day. IT IS AN AWSOME PLACE..... THE JUNGLE PLACE
Thank you Heidi and Joe for your dedication.
I will never forget you
Noella

Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

I can't explain how much this day meant to us! It was everything we hoped for and more! Extremely amazing place, and the people running it are wonderful! Heidi, her husband & the monkeys make it an unforgettable experience for families, kids, and adults! We even got to know some of the monkeys...by name! Lol! If your in the Playa Del Carmen area it's a MUST!!!!!!!

1  Thank ShallaRMT
See more reviews
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Wow, we packed in so many adventures on our Mayan Riviera vacation, and this by far is the top pick of them all! Our children (ages 9 and 12) had begged us to go here when we were researching adventures online prior to our trip, but seeing the expense, we hesitated initially. We decided to surprise them with this being their main Christmas present, and are so happy we did! The whole experience surpassed our expectations and is absolutely worth the investment for such a worthy cause. The bliss of being in the immediate presence of such intelligent, loving wild monkeys is certainly a bucket list experience! Truly priceless. Thank you, Heidi and friends, for all you are doing to help these amazing beings thrive!