“GREAT TIME”

The Jungle Place - Tours
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Chemuyil
More attraction details
Owner description: The Jungle Place is a licensed sanctuary for the endangered Spider Monkey. They rescue and rehabilitate orphaned monkeys who were victims of the illegal pet trade, poaching, habitat destruction and exploitation. All too often these beautiful, highly intelligent primates become victims when humans and nature collide in a natural paradise like The Riviera Maya. The in-person tours they offer to help support the sanctuary are the very definition of sustainable and ecologically responsible tourism.The owners, Heidi and Joel, are a wonderful couple who originally moved to the area to retire but instead devoted their lives to care for these rescued monkeys. They provide them with an incredible amount of love, individual attention, medical care and specialized diets, all within a beautiful and meticulously well-kept habitat right in their native jungle.Visit in-person to meet the owners and the monkeys, view the facilities and habitat, and see first-hand the level of care that your donation helps provide. Be sure to reserve your tour well in advance, as they allow only a very limited number of visits per week.
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“GREAT TIME”
Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

It was our 2nd time visiting the jungle place.. And it won't be the last for sure!!! It's always great to go through this experience and I don't get tired of having monkeys all over me... Heidi and Joel explained to everyone "the rules" before entering the cage.. Remember, you won't play with the monkeys... They will play with you!!!
It was amazing to see Luna again ;) and her strong personality.. To cuddle with Bali and just simply enjoy the moment. Thank you Heidi and Joel.. For taking care of the monkeys and give us the chance to live his unique experience.

2 Thank Luis N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Polish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Highlight of our honeymoon”
Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

First I would like to say Heidi and Joel are amazing and make you feel part of the family. The spider monkeys are fab sitting on your knee maya is so cuddly and Luna doesn't like to be stroked and Heidi and Joel inform you of this but she seemed to like me she sprawled herself on my lap and Joel got me to stroke her tail and she let me it was an amazing experience. I really can't wait to visit again.

3 Thank Emma B
Marietta, Georgia, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Wonderful experience, wonderful people and wonderful monkeys!”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Our family of 6 had the pleasure of interacting with the monkeys and owners of The Jungle Place. It was such a joy to live in their world and get to know the different personalities of each adorable primate. Don't miss this.

1 Thank Patti M
Illinois
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Amazing Experience”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

This was an absolutely amazing experience. The interaction with the monkeys was priceless. If you have never has a monkey fall asleep in your arms ... I just can't explain the experience, no words really. I found the owners to be easy to deal with and very friendly. Remember that the monkeys do come first. Make sure that you do follow their advice when you are with the monkeys. They try to make sure that everyone has a change to interact with the monkeys, but it truly is up to the monkeys. Lady is the most precious monkey and loves to just sit and be petted and groomed. Again, I just can't really describe the experience other than to say, EVERYONE should do this more than once in their life. The only real issue with the entire experience is the road leading to it is horrible. Just drive slow and take it easy. It really isn't difficult to find from HWY 307, very easy in fact. The parking also is a bit of an issue, but any of those difficulties are NOTHING compared to the experience with the monkeys.

1 Thank travel4sushi
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“An absolute MUST if you love animals!”
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I just went to The Jungle Place this morning (8/16/13) and had THE BEST TIME! SO glad we made the trip.

We took a cab from the Iberostar Grand. It was a LONG cab ride that felt even longer once the paved road ended. The cab driver even wanted to call and verify directions since it felt like we could be lost. The funny part was, as he pulled over to ask us for the phone number, my wife saw The Jungle Place sign and driveway out her window.

Heidi and Joel were great hosts and take so many pictures in such a unique situation you would kick yourself for missing it - if you're in the area. We can't wait to go back.

It was raining during our visit and while Ichelle (the baby) was super playful running and dive bombing everyone, Nena and Maya were incredibly cuddly. They didn't want to leave our laps except to wrap their arms around you.

Our 2 hour spider monkey encounter was WELL worth the journey into the jungle and a DEFINITE highlight of our trip.

When they ask for volunteers make sure to raise your hand. The monkey's did seem to like sitting closer to the open edge (no chain link fence behind you). I volunteered to sit on the edge and never felt unsafe. But I did have a lot of monkey interaction.

2 Thank Brian T