“Zuzda ruined my 40th birthday”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Zuzda - CLOSED

Zuzda
Cuisines: American, Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Hwy 194
Description: Locally sourced ingredients prepared in small plates.
Holly Springs, North Carolina
“Zuzda ruined my 40th birthday”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

My family and I visit the Boone/Banner Elk area several times a year and have eaten at Zuzda before and really enjoyed the food. This year, for my 40th birthday, I chose to return here for dinner with my husband and son. We made a reservation and when we arrived were seated promptly and then it all went downhill. It took over 5 minutes for anyone to even come to the table to greet us. Then once our server finally showed up and took our drink order it took another 10 minutes just to get our drinks delivered. Actually it took 10 minutes to get my drink delivered and my husband was told that the beer he ordered was out of stock. It then took another 5 minutes to get his beer. I spent many years working as both a server and bartender and nothing bothers me more than having to wait to be greeted or get a drink. So now my poor husband has been sitting at the table for 20 minutes with nothing to drink. Despite the inner voice telling me we should just leave, we wait another 5-10 minutes for the server to return to the table to take our order. Because it is small plates we order several items. When the food comes it is tasty and we finish everything and then realize that one dish was never delivered. We waited with dirty plates at the table for about 10 minutes and are ready to get the check when the server appears with our last dish. At that point I was so done with the entire experience that I wasn't even hungry and so I let my husband finish the dish and we left.

As foodies, my huband and I really look for the complete experience in a restaurant. Although the food here is good, the service is TERRIBLE and the atmosphere is lacking (dark and outdated). In an area driven by tourism this restaurant really could have potential, but some serious changes would be required. If the owners of this restaurant care about feedback and improving the customers' experience they would be paying close attention to the reviews on Trip Advisor, as I'm not the first person to complain about these things.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Winegirl921

“Terrific tapas”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

The biggest menu on the mountain...everybody finds something they love. We came early and ate in the bar...great service, friendly staff, terrific drinks (especially the sangria). Try the kale..healthy and fab! Great place for a large group to order and share.

Visited August 2013
banner elk
“Service Poor.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

Good food, but dreary inside and needing a facelift! If you're into bars, then hanging in there for food is best. Service was ridiculous and the teenagers were more interested in mingling with each other behind the hostess stand than they were with servicing customers!

• Visited April 2013
ATLANTA
“Great menu interesting wine list”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

We didn't expect to find such an interesting men u, especially for us vegetarians, in such a small town. The Veggie Tempura was perfect as were the sauteed mushrooms and the stuffed artichoke hearts. My carnivore husband enjoyed the steak dish too. When the kale turned out to be bitter, it was whisked away, and the charge removed from the bill. Loved the pinot gris from Oregon. Nice cosy atmosphere for me, my husband felt a bit claustrophobic. Very comfortable chairs.

• Visited September 2013
Columbia, South Carolina
“Terrific Tapas restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

The owner of the Little Main Street Inn recommended Zuzda's when we inquired about a place for dinner our first night in Banner Elk. We could have gone back every night - it was that good. Since it's a Tapas restaurant, the choices are many. I had the Gorgonzolla stuffed artichoke hearts which were out of this world and nut encrusted trout. My husband enjoyed spring rolls and chicken pot pie (yes, that's an unusual combination). We ran into friends who spent the summer in the area and they said it was their favorite place.

Visited August 2013