“Poor service”

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Hwy 194
Description: Locally sourced ingredients prepared in small plates.
south carolina
“Poor service”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Somewhat disappointed after reading some good reviews. What really put a damper on the evening was the lack of good service. I ordered one martini and they were out of the mixer, then ordered a key lime recommended by the waitstaff. It was not made from fresh ingredients that I am accustom to at a really good restaurant. There was a hair on the side of the drink but did not bother the waitress as she was not to be found. Our tapas were good and we all enjoyed sharing various dishes. The place does need a facelift and would like to have seen the outside a bit more tidy. It's as though they do not take pride in their place of business. The waitstaff is in desperate need of professional training.

1 Thank chichiSouthCarolina

“122 chances to find something you like. Absolutely wonderful!”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

This is our favorite place to eat in Banner Elk. We love a variety when we go out to dine and zuzdas has 122 items to choose from. Now that's variety and just about everything I have tried is very tasty. Now if you order something that you don't like. Guess what? You order something else. That's the wonderful thing about tapas. You order multiple dishes thru out the evening. Trying new and exciting flavors to challenge your pallet. It's more of the art of dinning than just going to dinner to fill your belly. Now be careful! Those delicious little portions can boost your bill pretty quickly if you go crazy ordering a lot so I do recommend keeping track of what you order. I will say the restaurant needs a face lift. The décor is a little dated but hey folks, welcome to Banner Elk. We are lucky to have the restaurants we have. I would eat here if the dining room was a screened in porch with folding card tables and lawn furniture.

Avery County NC
“How can this place be so over rated?”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

The chef needs to live up to his vanity tag on his car "4zchef". First we were seated and the water glasses were not clean, smuggy, when you lifted anything off the table it would stick for a minute to the table. We enjoyed the patio of dead plants that was our view out the window.

Now for the food. I ordered a spinach salad. It comes with chopped egg. The wait person came back and said that they did not have any boiled eggs and would I mind waiting 20 minutes for "her'" to boil the eggs. I declined and cancelled the salad. Now it got interesting, the wait person comes back and says, "he said he could have this ready in a minute and half, if you still want it"?

I thought for a minute...now how do you come up with chopped egg in that short a time? o the microwave. I declined.

The veggie kabob was overcooked. The braised ribs were not tender rather on the tough side. The PEI mussels were excellent. O I ordered oysters on the half shell, I had to pry the oyster out of the shell. Seems the chef doesnt do this. That is nothing but lazy on his part.
The olive tapanade was excellent but I think it was not house made. Seems a lot of the menu is convenience foods with high prices. The potato gnocchi was doughy. O the onion soup was good. Served with little scissors to cut the cheese with.

It was overpriced and over rated. Simple as that. Nothing special about the food.

Cape Canaveral, Florida
“Amazing Food and Delicious Atmosphere”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

The food choices are virtually limitless, and the quality is outstanding. We have eaten here numerous times, choosing different dishes each time. Each meal was an amazing experience. We also appreciate the live music.

Visited September 2012
Banner Elk, North Carolina, United States
“Got to be our favorite.”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Why favorite? With a menu of over 100 items, you can have something different every visit (that's my wife's plan). I have the same thing almost everytime: Lobster Biscue, Coquilles St. Jacques, Jerk beef kabob. You can't beat perfection. Chef/Owner Doug will do it right everytime.
Small portions and small prices allow a selection of items every visit.

Visited March 2013