“High life in the High Country”

Artisanal Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Artisanal Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 49 Restaurants in Banner Elk
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Hwy 184
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I am local to the high country and have avoided this place until recently because I was under the assumption it was pricey and unattainable for anyone other than the super rich, however I was mistaken. After living in several major US cities I found the prices to be relatively less than what I have paid many times in the past. Valet parking is always a plus in my book. Dining here was truly a treat that I hope to make a more regular occurrence. The ambiance is that of renovated barn...it is luxurious without being arrogant. The food is immaculately prepared and presented, with wait staff courteous and well informed of the product. The selection of white wines could be better; I thought the amount of Chardonnay offered was a bit over kill. Don't expect big portions because that's not what this place is about; if that's what you're looking for go somewhere else. This is about taste and visual pleasure. I will be going back to enjoy some wine on the back porch, on a comfy couch by the fire pit, watching the creek roll by. Don't shy away from this place...INDULGE yourself, spouse, and special guests:)

1  Thank alilly5
There are newer reviews for Artisanal Restaurant

Reviewed June 28, 2013

This is worth the drive to the mountains. The bucolic setting overlooks pastures and the hills surrounding Banner Elk. There is outdoor seating available. The staff was enthusiastic and attentive with a team spirit and an unfeigned work ethic. They frequently refilled our water glasses, cleared each courses and presented entrees hot and all guests served simultaneously at our table. Our waitress was delightful. The chef trained at CIA in NY and was a chef in other major cities before coming back home where he grew up in Banner Elk. The restaurant was built in 2008, so it is a new building with an old look. The seating is upholstered so sound is absorbed well, and we were able to enjoy intimate conversation without overhearing other guests. My salmon was moist and the spaghetti squash and pickled green tomatoes were a flavorful complement. My mother-in-law enjoyed the duck with warm cherry walnut bread pudding. My husband's bison steak was in his words, "Excellent. Excellent." I wish I could have the recipe for the amazing mac n cheese that came with his steak! We called ahead for a last minute reservation, and they seated us at 8:30 PM, which is late for mountain restaurants. Also, noticed a table near us enjoying a wine tasting after their meal. This place has it all -- mountain charm and gourmet food. We are from Atlanta, and I have never had a better restaurant experience.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

One of the best in the South. Food and service is excellent. Difficult to get reservations at desired times. Expensive, but well worth the cost.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

The building and dinning room have wonderful high ceilings so you are able to talk while you enjoy the very special food. You can see a sample menu on the internet so you can see what a treat is in store.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Artisnal provided another incredible experience for our 29th wedding anniversary. The food, wine and service were all outstanding. The calamari and the fois gras appetizers were superb. The knowledgeable sommelier recommended a Leflaive Macon, which matched well and was a good value.

The adults had two types of pork (both excellent) and my daughters had incredibly tender and flavorful filets. Another great wine suggestion paired well with all dishes (1995 Smith Haut Lafitte), which was drinking beautifully.

Dessert was equally delicious (beignets with lemon curd). This was our sixth visit to Artisnal. It ihas been consistently excellent and is worth a special trip.