“Stay Away”
Review of Sorrento's Bistro

Sorrento's Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Sorrento's Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 49 Restaurants in Banner Elk
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: This is an upscale bistro with a strong accent for Italian. This family business involves 3 generation of family owned and operated, with the 30 year anniversary approaching. We thank all of our local customers, and look forward to the new ones.
Reviewed September 19, 2011

Dined at Sorrento's on Sep 15, 2011. The owners and their entire family came in for dinner and sat in the dining room, were quite noisy, and were served before paying customers. The young (maybe 8-10 years old) son went straight in the kitchen to fix something to eat (NC Health Board should be interested in that). The owner's wife before sitting down was parading around the restaurant on her phone. How crude is that? These folks care little about first time customers and the image that they portrayed to the customers. Anyone this arrogant doesn't deserve my money.

4  Thank Tom K

Reviewed September 17, 2011

We had a white pie and it was really good. Staff is nice. Would eat here again.

Reviewed August 21, 2011

We made our fourth outing to Sorrento's this year and have been impressed each time. The pizza is very good and prime rib night is an excellent meal deal. Their marinara sauce is good enough to write home about. This trip, I had the trout and it was excellent. Our party of six all enjoyed their meal. In four trips, we had two waiters and both were very friendly and efficient. I highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed August 17, 2011

We were in Banner Elk with friends and decided that a pizza and salad would make a nice dinner. Not knowing where to go, we asked a group of teenagers if they could recommend a pizza place. They immediately suggested Sorrento's as the best place in town for pizza. We were not disappointed. The salad was crisp and fresh and the portions genereous. The 16" pizza reminded me of the pizzas I used to get when I lived in NY. The hostess and waitress were very efficient and pleasant. From the outside, the restaurant is very unassuming but, once you step inside, everything looks clean and comfortable. They also had tables outdoors. My only recommendation is that they post their name on the window of the restaurant in addition to having it on their awning to make it easier for people to locate it.

Reviewed August 6, 2011

Looking for a strong finish to a family weekend in the mountains, we were hopeful that the experience at Sorrento's would live up to it's praise. Unfortunately, it failed miserably. What was worse, the G.M., Diane (very eager to give you her name and title), was defensive and refused to accept blame for the 1 hour wait for mains, 30 minute wait for wine and my having to obtain bar service for my younger sibling's diet coke. I ended the conversation when she blamed the waitress for not telling her that she needed back up (as a leader, you never blame your team). She then blamed the delays on the theater night in town.

I learned from the wait staff that the restaurant opened more tables than it had before in order to take advantage of the additional demand. This proved that Sorrento's has a management problem.

Lastly, I overheard this general manager talking about a medical condition of my sister to another table. This is absolutely unacceptable.

I will not return until a clear change is made.

If you are looking for good food, Sorrento's can deliver. However, you will run the risk of an unprofessional atmosphere and questionable service.

3  Thank butterlovinghusband