“Thursday is Prime rib night”
Review of Sorrento's Bistro

Sorrento's Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Sorrento's Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 50 Restaurants in Banner Elk
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: This is an upscale bistro with a strong accent for Italian. This family business involves 3 generation of family owned and operated, with the 30 year anniversary approaching. We thank all of our local customers, and look forward to the new ones.
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We had finished working when a friend suggest prime rib night at sorrento's. There were 5 of us. Justin was our waiter and he was great, very professional. We also had a young man helping Justin so we never waited for anything. The garlic rolls are great. The prime rib was thick and good. It was served with a mushroom au jus that was excellent. It came with a veggie mix and baked potato. Two people at our table had the salmon special and were happy with it. Justin waited on us just as hard as he did the upper scale tourist or summer people.

We enjoyed ourselves and had good food with good service.

Reviewed June 5, 2011

I have lived in Banner Elk for 2 years, I used to come here for the great food and the great atmosphere that so many restaurants just don't have in the high country. My fiance and myself made it our weekly/bi-weekly treat to head to Sorrento's and blow off steam at the end of the week by sharing a pizza and a bottle of wine. As grad students this was not cheap, but it was a great time and the staff was fantastic. However, sometime around March of this year (2011) their service REALLY declined. Since March, each time we would come in, we would be seated and then greeted 10 minutes later by a waiter or waitress would tell us it was their first night or they were new. This was fine, except after it happened several weeks in a row (with different waiters) we got worried. We were also increasingly disappointed by the service, as the new waiters were not on top of the menu and wines, and they were not very personable.

The service became worse with each visit. On several occasions, our pizza would come out over/undercooked after we sat at a table for an hour, drinking a bottle of wine waiting on it. The dinner rolls (my favorite) would be forgotten to be given to us, and on several occasions it was obvious we received terrible service because we weren't older or weren't a large party. For example, during one visit our waitress was extremely attentive to the retirees, chatting them up and such and getting them to order lots of items, while we sat with no water or wine left and we wanted to order additional items, but couldn't get her attention.

I wanted to believe it was the same great Sorrento's I'd been eating at since 2009, which is why I kept coming back for a while. However, after I took my family there for my grad school graduation this May and we were treated extremely rude for arriving 15 minutes early for our reservation, I will not go back. Now I go elsewhere for my weekly night out, where I feel my money is appreciated and the staff doesn't forget we are still seated.

3  Thank AF00die
Reviewed May 28, 2011

Nice place - Surprised to see such an upscale restaurant in this area. A little pricey but wrll worth it.

Reviewed May 28, 2011

I love this place. We eat here every time we are in the area. The food is great, and I highly recommend it!

1  Thank Dhasek
Reviewed September 26, 2010

This place is great! The sauce on the Veal Marsala was light but bold. The service is impeccable at this place. Locals and tourists mix here and it can be a little loud but the noise is the result of great food and fun. Good wine list and bar. Service is fast and professional. Never felt rushed.