“Winery great -- didn't try the B&B”

Banner Elk Winery & Villa
Ranked #4 of 8 Banner Elk B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 9, 2012

We were pretty happy with our stop here. We arrived pretty late in the day, but we got an excellent reception from the winery staff. The wines were very good. We've had our ups and downs with small, local wineries across the southeastern US, but this one was a very pleasant experience. We ended up buying a bottle. We'd have bought more but they were temporarily out of their best wine (in our opinion) -- the Cabernet. If you're making the rounds in northwestern NC, this is a great stop.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Banner Elk Winery & Villa

Reviewed May 6, 2012

My wife and I came for our anniversary and really enjoyed our two night stay. We stayed in the Blueberry room. The room was rather small, but was big enough to enjoy. The bathroom had a great jacuzzi tub and was very spacious. My only complaint about the room was the air conditioning was controlled by a thermostat in the hall that obviously controlled the climate for multiple rooms. The AC stayed on all night and just about froze us outta the room.

It was hard to find a staff member, except for early in the morning or mid afternoon, but this did not effect our stay.

There's a beautiful trout pond out back, however all I saw were frogs and gigantic tadpoles...and the lone snake.

The winery is nice and the staff were very friendly.

I would recommend a stay here

Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed April 28, 2012

Left three messages a week in advance to discuss staying over the weekend..the purpose of this stay was going to be to discuss a possible wedding here..however, I never received a return call even after the first call resulted in a lady asking me to call back and leave a message because she was not at the computer to check reservations..fine..but no calls back. I have never posted a review prior to this but was so disappointed given the future plans for this location..I am however glad to experience this now rather than later at a wedding or reception. Thanks for the letdown.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ashlee O
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Ok, so here's my take on my stay at Banner Elk Winery and Villa:

The good: The house is adorable!! The pictures really do not do the place justice. The furnishings are very warm and upscale. The rooms are all done differently with great/impeccable style - certainly better than any of the other BB's I researched online. I loved that all the doors to the available rooms were open so that I was able to see how adorable and different each room was. Also, the winery is really warm and cozy. There is a large fireplace and would be great place to be with a large group of friends. Dee, the lady who was working in the house while we were there, was really sweet. She couldn't do enough for us and every time we saw her she was asking what we needed. I also loved the bedding. I appreciate a hotel that uses all white sheets, blankets, and duvets. You know they are clean and fresh when you see this!

The bad: I had read in other reports that the Blueberry room was small - but bc I liked it most from the pictures, I decided to go with it anyway. BAD choice. It is VERY small. Too small. The other rooms at the same rate are much larger. I actually don't even think this room should cost the same as the others. We literally had no room for our luggage. The TV in only this room is minuscule (maybe 13 inches??) and the cable box was located IN THE CLOSET (which it took my husband and I a while to figure out how to change the channel). Therefore, to change the channel we had to leave the close open - which took up more space in an already tiny room. Additionally, because they leave the other doors to the rooms open, we saw that there were several of the more expensive rooms available - which I was surprised they didn't upgrade us. I am just used to people doing that at smaller hotels. What annoyed me was that the 3 other couples that were there during our 2 night stay - were there with a GROUPON!! They had MUCH larger rooms and probably paid less then we did. Considering we were the only ones there at the time that paid full price - I was even more surprised that they wouldn't have upgraded us. Another problem - no one came in to clean our room. We were gone for most of the day and expected to come back to a clean room and new fresh towels and this was not the case. Paying $200/night for a tiny room, I would have expected someone to clean our room. Because no one came into our room, we ran out of toilet paper and had to use Kleenex!! Not ok!
Also, the beds are not Tempurpedic - and if they are then its not the kind that you would think when you hear Tempurpedic mattress. I have a Tempurpedic mattress, and you literally sink into it. Once you sleep on one, its hard to sleep on a regular mattress - which is why I was overjoyed when I read that they offered this. The mattress seemed like a nice mattress - but a regular mattress. Perhaps Tempurpedic brand but not the memory foam that you would associate with them. I checked the mattress in another room to see if it was the same as my room, and it appeared to be the same way.
Another problem is the breakfast - while it was good - it was not the "gourmet" breakfast that I was expecting. We had waffles, grits, yogurt, and fruit. I don't know, wasn't gourmet in my opinion. Also, they only offer it at 9:30. That's not really convenient for most people. I think they should offer a window from 7-10 or 7-9 - something other than just one time. We had to be on the road by 8:30 on the day we were leaving, so we had to miss the 9:30 breakfast. I'm sure others who are early risers don't want to wait around until 9:30 to have breakfast.

Overall, the place is charming but I don't feel like we got our money's worth. I think they still have some things to work on. We will not be back as there are many other places to go in the world and something has to be truly special for us to return.

Room Tip: Do not pick the Blueberry room! Too small!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank kristenkiss
Reviewed April 23, 2012

The room was very beautiful and the food was very good. The staff was almost non-existent through the stay which isn't typical of any B and B I've stayed in. We were "encouraged" to hurry through our 2nd morning's breakfast because there was a wedding being held there later that afternoon and they needed the house empty.
We were put in a different room than what our reservation stated and then charged extra which was later removed but not until after the stay. Booking the room was simple and I received a quick reply until the additional charge was added and I called to question it. I left 4 voicemails and sent 2 emails over the course of 2 weeks before I received a response.
Overall the home and property were very well kept and a pleasure. The service was more what I expect from a chain hotel than a privately owned bed and breakfast.

Room Tip: I advise requesting a room on an upper floor since any sound from upstairs is loud though the floor...
Reviewed April 14, 2012

This one a perfect place for a couple's getaway. Mom wife came across this B&B on the website and decided to check it out. We love to visit the NC wineries and it was a must for us to do. Booking it was very easy, the staff was very friendly and explained everything that we need to know about check-in, check-out and morning breakfast.

Once we arrived, we decided to go to the winery first to sample the wines. The staff was very friendly and did a great job with the explaining the difference of each wine. We mentioned we we are staying overnight at the B&B, so the tasting was free - an added bonus. If not, I believe it would have been $6 each which is about normal at other location tastings. We decided to get a glass of wine and realized it would have been better to get a bottle. In my opinion, the glass of wine was on the smaller side than usual, but it was very good, just wish we had more. The scenery is very nice as there is a pond and beautiful mountains in the distance. There is a fireplace, but too warm when we arrived. before we left, we asked about places to eat, the staff member asked what we liked and then gave us some suggestions and even called the restaurants about their food specials - very helpful! Just ask, and they will help any way to make your stay very easy.

The room we chose was called the Blueberry Suite at The Villa. It had a nice view of the mountains and the winery, with a nice sitting area. The bathroom was spacious as it offered a Jacuzzi tub and the closet was plenty big enough for our luggage. The bed was wonderful - it was a Tempur-Pedic which we both enjoyed and had a wonderful night sleep. The only problem I would say about the room was the TV, but we weren't there to watch TV, it was probably a 15 inch or 20 inch TV max. But, it's perfect to watch while falling asleep - not if you plan on watch a movie.

We woke up with the smell of breakfast! It was a full buffet in the kitchen offering coffee, juice, eggs, fresh fruit, biscuits, oatmeal, sausage, veggie quiche, etc. You can sit at the dining table (two available) or sit outside on the deck - we did that and had a wonderful view! We have already discussed coming back up this year! great place to stay and very relaxing!

Room Tip: Room overlooked the winery
1  Thank kevkid33
Reviewed March 12, 2012

The Villa and winery are very professionally staffed and geared toward making your stay as perfect as possible.
We spent a night at the villa for a romantic getaway.
I had made certain requests and had ordered roses wine and dinner in the room.
It was outstanding and it turned out to be everything I had hoped it would be.
The dinner was exceptional and served in a very professional yet friendly way.
I would highly recommend a stay at the villa to everyone.

Room Tip: Go online to choose the room
2  Thank Charles M
#8 of 15 in Blowing Rock
The Lodge at River Run
The Lodge at River Run
#2 of 9 in Banner Elk

Been to Banner Elk Winery & Villa? Share your experiences!