“Love this place!”

Ranked #9 of 51 Restaurants in Banner Elk
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Description: Open since 2003, The Bayou offers Authentic Cajun and Texas Cuisine served in a casual, comfortable atmosphere. Outdoor, dog-friendly deck dining in the summer, fireplace dining in the winter. Free WiFi, Children's Menu and Wine Amnesty available. Adjacent Bayou General Store offering Beer, Wine, Locally Made Items, Souvenir Mementos and more. Please see the Bayou Smokehouse & Grill, Banner Elk Facebook Page for Specials, Live Music, Events and area information.
Reviewed March 11, 2013

First time visiting banner elk. Loved this place from the moment I walked in. Good food, drinks and service. Chris S. was one of the best bartenders I have had in a while!! I will definitely be making a trip back to banner elk soon and stop by for more good times!!

1  Thank HollyG83

Reviewed March 10, 2013

I was disappointed. The food was average at best. The coleslaw came out of a box not homemade. the smokehouse sampler was ok but not the caliber I was expecting. I would not return because it was not exceptional.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

If you go on Thursday nights make sure you get the rib specials. The ribs were great but did not care for the side dishes.

Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

We took a last minute trip for some tubing at hawks nest and wondered down "into town" for an early lunch. We entered through the general store and we were greeted by two friendly employees. They welcomed us, showed us to the dining area, while telling us all about the area, things to do and menu favorites.

Menu
There is something on it for everyone, although it has many of the Bayou standards: I selected the voodoo pasta, an excellent penne pasta dish with fresh shrimp, blackened chicken, and sausage- in an interesting sauce. My daughter selected the chicken fingers : seasoned well and freshly prepared ( NOT the standard frozen you get at most places). My husband had the sampler with fried okra - the best I've tasted in a very long time -and potatoe salad.

Everything was fresh, well prepared and arrived promptly. Portions are generous- we both needed to go boxes.

Although there wasn't an elaborate cocktail list and beer selection, wait staff made multiple suggestions and even brought out a sample or two.

Location

The restaurant is in a village like setting, surrounded by lots of other unique shops and eating places. It's conveniently located to lots of area attractions and lodging.

Atmosphere/service

The decor is eclectic antique with seating inside and out. Wait staff was friendly and accommodating. The music was the best selection of oldies I've heard in a long time.

I left there belly full and in vacation mode: we will be returning for sure.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We visited this restaurant about 10 years ago and visited again this weekend...we were surprised to find it! The menu is good, there are lots of choices... and they have a kid's menu too! It was busy, but we were there early and got a table. Our server, ERIN, was fantastic! She was super patient and attentive. We had many menu questions and she answered all of them with a smile.