“New Year's Eve”
Review of Jackalope's View

Jackalope's View
Ranked #28 of 49 Restaurants in Banner Elk
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Jackalope's View and The Vault Bar are located halfway up Beech Mountain and Boasts one of the most beautiful views you could have. Downstairs is a culinary treat with upscale and fine dining choices, while upstairs in our Vault Bar provides a casual dining atmosphere and full bar. The Vault is currently open Thursday through Saturday from 5:00p until 2:00 am business permitting. Jackalopes is open Thursday through Monday from 5:00pm until 9:30pm. Reservations are encouraged for Jackalope's. Jackalope's View Is Now Open For Breakfast! 7:30AM to 10:30AM!!
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We made reservations, just in case it was busy being it was a holiday.

It was a festive night...and the restaurant was full. We were seated right away and a waiter appeared promptly and went over the specials.

Our appetizers and entrees were brought out quickly and were delicious!

We will definitely go back!!....highly recommended

Reviewed December 28, 2012

After reading some great reviews we were looking forward to having a nice meal during Christmas week at this restaurant. We called ahead to make reservations and got a recording saying that both lines were busy and if you were calling about a reservation they would call back. No one did however, when we arrived they said they could accomodate us immediately. We were a party of 4 adults and two children ages 6 and 4. They asked if we had a reservation and when my husband said no but had tried to call and no one called back, the host said "sorry, I was fixing the hot water heater" or something of that nature. Reservations were not needed as the restaurant was empty except for a few tables which we found unusual for dinner hour on a Friday night during a holiday period.
We asked for a childrens menu and they said they had none but they could choose any entree with no sharing charge. After looking at the menu we could honestly say there was nothing on there a 6 and 4 year old would eat but we noticed some entrees with pasta. We asked the waitress if we could just get some buttered pasta for the children. She told us no three times in no uncertain terms. She said the chef does not change his dishes for anyone. We told her we were not looking to alter his menu, just get some plain pasta and have him throw some butter on it. Again no. We were all in shock as we have taken these children to some very nice places and no one has ever refused to put together such a simple request. We then asked her to ask the chef please and she said she would. When she finally came back she said the chef would do it but would have to charge us 17.00 for the chicken scallopini dish which had fettucini. We didn't argue as the children needed to eat.
Two people had the Onion soup and that was good.Two of us ordered the trout different ways I ordered it with lemon butter and my daughter in law ordered it nut encrusted. Being from Florida we eat a lot of fish but the first thing I noticed was that it was lumped on top of a bed of mashed potatos and some kind of vegetable. I really didn't want my fish mixed in a lump of different foods. After tasting the fish however both of us realized why they might have done it. The fish was absolutely bland. Even the receipe with the nuts was tasteless and very disappointing. Neither of us could finish the food. My husband and son ordered the rib eye and they enjoyed them so that was a good point. However, when the food arrived one of the entrees was wrong and my husband had to wait for his steak.
We passed on dessert because the children were getting a little tired so we asked for the check. The menu stated that a party of 6 or more had an 18% gratuity automatically added to it which is the norm in most good restaurants or where they get a lot of international travelers. In fact if the food and service is good we usually leave more so that was not an issue. When the bill came we noticed there was a 20% gratuity on it. If we want to leave more, that should be to our discretion, not the restaurants to make that decision. That wasn't right so we told the waitress. She was a little flustered, said she would try to correct it but couldn't change it in the computer. When she came back there was an additional $40. ADDED to the bill, obviously generated by the computer. She didn't comprehend what we were showing her at first and then she said she must have hit a wrong button. My husband was losing patience and tried to explain it to her. She left again and had someone else bring back the corrected bill. We wanted an explanation as to why the gratuity was more than stated so we asked to speak to a manager. We were told by someone else there was none that night. Here it was a Friday night on the busiest week of the year and there is noone in charge? I doubt it. We asked who was in charge and the other waitress said "I can be if you want me too." She made all kinds of excuses for the waitress and no apologies. We also asked why that made such a fuss about not wanting to give the kids pasta with butter. Again, excuses...the chef only maked a certain amount of pasta for his dishes. Please... First the place was anything but full and also, does that mean that the pasta is not cooked fresh? When we last saw our waitress she was in tears and we told her it wasn't her we were upset with but that her manager/owner or whoever was in charge should man up and come out to speak to us instead of letting her take the fall. I wonder how many tourists or international travelers who may not have noticed the discrepancy on the bill Our 250.00 dinner turned out to be a disappointment. If you eat there don't bring your children unless you bring their own food and check your bill. This is the first review I have ever written for any restaurant but we were so upset over this we really would like to hear what the mangement has to say about this experience.

2  Thank lori47
Archers_Mountain_Inn, Manager at Jackalope's View, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

I wanted to take a moment to respond to your review as I am both the manager and the one who had chatted with regarding your experience recently as well. We are both a restaurant and inn and I had stepped away to assist some inn guests.

We have recently added several sandwiches along with crispy chicken wings that we felt would be a good fit to accommodate children, we regret that the children could not find something to their liking.

We also recently changed the gratuity from 20% to 18%. The young lady who was your server has just returned from maternity leave. Please know that hers was an honest mistake, not anything intentionally unethical.

We do hope that you will return. Kindest regards, Michael

Reviewed December 19, 2012

This restaurant was so delicious and the service was so great that we ate here twice on our 3 day vacation. The food, the appetizers, the desserts were all excellent. In addition, we also had the breakfast for two days. The view, the location, the service were all amazing, we will definitely be coming back!

Reviewed November 25, 2012

Beautiful views! Our server acted like he was very bored and wished he was anywhere but where he was. He kinda ho hum sang the thanksgiving menu to us, it didn't sound very appealing. My friend ordered it any way. I ordered a salad and shrimp and grits. After we ordered I noticed the couple at the table next to us had ordered the turkey dinner so I asked, was it good?
Like $22 good? "No, it was ok." Too late to change, our server already has an attitude. It was ok, My salad and shrimp and grits was very good. The next time we ate there we ordered chicken wings and stuffed vidalia onion. We were told you get 15 wings with the order, we got 9, and they were cold. The stuffed vidalia onion had a great taste, but very little onion.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Jackalope's was once our been looking forward to restaurant on Beech Mtn. After being seated a basket of two rolls, four crackers and a small scoop of spreadable cheese was served. 45 minutes later more bread was offered. We were told they were plating our food right then. Fifteen minutes later it was delivered. Country ham encrusted marsala chicken was a breast with a slice of ham on top with sliced mushrooms and sauce. That is definitely not "encrusted". The cowboy ribeye ($33) was cooked perfectly and arrived hot. Risotto (all three small spoonsful) was gummy with no flavor. Five small asparagus (four had no tip which translates to not fresh). Plates were cold, food (except steak) was cold. The restaurant was not full and there were no big groups, but everyone waited for a very long time for their food. The management wants to be made aware of problems instead of seeing them here. However, there was no one to tell and apparently all the reviews have made no difference in their practices. $55 for two entrees and 2 waters plus tip was a lot for what we were served. The past couple of dinners before this one weren't that good, but my husband hoped this time would be really good again. This was our last supper at Jackalope's.

Archers_Mountain_Inn, Owner at Jackalope's View, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. We certainly regret that you did not enjoy your experience. As we are always striving to provide excellent quality and service in a comfortable environment we would greatly appreciate if you could contact us directly with regard to the specific evening so that we may consult with both our front and back of house staff. We would also like to offer you an incentive for a return visit as your business relationship is valuable to us. We look forward to speaking with you.
Thanks, Candi