“Fun family stop”

Grandfather Trout Farm
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We are trout fishermen, but wanted a place our wives and children would be guaranteed to catch a fish. This was the place, with 3 large stocked ponds you catch fish until your bank account is empty! The staff will provide a rod, reel, bait, and bucket or you can bring your own rod if you have a favorite! You have to keep what you catch and they will clean the fish and pack it on ice for you to have a fresh trout dinner. Fun place for families or just to stop in and see some big fish being caught!

2  Thank Ben T
There are newer reviews for Grandfather Trout Farm

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We went here last week with 4 adults and 6 kids (3-8) and had a blast. 5 out of 6 kids caught a fish and really enjoyed it - Perhaps they need to make it more clear that you HAVE to keep/pay for what you catch - no excuse for the owner to cuss in front of kids but WE had a marvelous time, found the staff to be helpful and friendly (and yes, kid friendly). We ate the fish that night and 2 days later and they were delicious and even the kids ate all their fish because they knew they had caught them! Porta potties were gross so come with an empty bladder.

3  Thank jcknightma
Reviewed July 29, 2013

The most amateur inexperienced fisherman will experience success. you fish until you catch a trout and pay nothing until you make a catch however, one warning you must keep what you catch and if you catch multiple fish it can get expensive since you pay by the pound it is a fun experience though

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I want to start off by saying this is my 1st review ever and Im not one that would go out of their way to write one but I had to after this past weekends experience at Grandfather Trout Farm. My husband and I took our 3 year old twins to which we knew would be so exciting for them to be able to catch their own fish with little patience that they have and take it home. As soon as we walked up a group had caught their 1st trout and to my knowledge threw it back in which you cannot do. I completely understand as that is how they make their money. You pay for what you catch. But the manager/owner came out and started yelling at the gentleman and there was an quite an encounter. The manager proceeded to use nasty profanity as I started to back my children away so they could no longer witness this. My husband went up to the manager there are little children and women out here and this is a place of business you need to keep your temper under control. Try explaining THAT ONE to your children and why they cant fish here. We told a few people that drove up with their kids we would not recommened taking your children here and they all drove away. A great business to have for tourists but not for children. Even the workers apologized on behalf of their boss. SAD.

15  Thank Tina S
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Our family tried a trout fishing place at Disney before and the kids caught nothing. They were so discouraged. My husband didn't want them turned off of fishing so we came here on our vacation. First our 10 year old son caught a fish and it was like the best moment of his life. Then his little 7-year-old sister caught one and it was a great day for her plus another great moment for him because she was scared and he had to swoop in and help her reel it in and get it with the net. I like the fact that it was not crowded (it was a Tuesday afternoon), I like that it seemed so safe (great for this worry-wart mom. Not once did I feel like the kids would fall in or anything because it's 3 little ponds on flat ground), and I like the fact that you can use as many rods as you like. I opted to take pictures rather than fish but all 7 of us could have fished if we wanted.

The downside was that you have to keep what you catch. This is not ideal for 2 vegetarians and 2 meat-eating-but-non-fish eating people. However, the other 3 people in our party do like fish on occasion so it was worth it to them to pay $6.95 per pund plus 50 cents cleaning fee per fish. I think it came to about $30 but everyone had fun. There was a reviewer that complained about their daughter being scared and the employees laughing about it. I could totally see that happening. They almost laughed at us for not eating fish. And they were amused by me and my daughter not wanting to see the fish cleaned.

I say that if you are looking for a nice experience for your kids in the fishing part, this is a good place. If you think they might be grossed out by the bloody part, don't go near the bucket or the cleaning (like me). I saw some families taking part in the mining and they seemed to like it but we went to Foggy Mountain GemMine for that last year and it was so much better than what it seemed at Grandfather Trout Farm.

2  Thank Lucy L