“The kids wanted the experience of catching fish & they got it.”

Grandfather Trout Farm
Weston, Florida
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“The kids wanted the experience of catching fish & they got it.”
Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

Our family tried a trout fishing place at Disney before and the kids caught nothing. They were so discouraged. My husband didn't want them turned off of fishing so we came here on our vacation. First our 10 year old son caught a fish and it was like the best moment of his life. Then his little 7-year-old sister caught one and it was a great day for her plus another great moment for him because she was scared and he had to swoop in and help her reel it in and get it with the net. I like the fact that it was not crowded (it was a Tuesday afternoon), I like that it seemed so safe (great for this worry-wart mom. Not once did I feel like the kids would fall in or anything because it's 3 little ponds on flat ground), and I like the fact that you can use as many rods as you like. I opted to take pictures rather than fish but all 7 of us could have fished if we wanted.

The downside was that you have to keep what you catch. This is not ideal for 2 vegetarians and 2 meat-eating-but-non-fish eating people. However, the other 3 people in our party do like fish on occasion so it was worth it to them to pay $6.95 per pund plus 50 cents cleaning fee per fish. I think it came to about $30 but everyone had fun. There was a reviewer that complained about their daughter being scared and the employees laughing about it. I could totally see that happening. They almost laughed at us for not eating fish. And they were amused by me and my daughter not wanting to see the fish cleaned.

I say that if you are looking for a nice experience for your kids in the fishing part, this is a good place. If you think they might be grossed out by the bloody part, don't go near the bucket or the cleaning (like me). I saw some families taking part in the mining and they seemed to like it but we went to Foggy Mountain GemMine for that last year and it was so much better than what it seemed at Grandfather Trout Farm.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Lucy L

Millersburg, Ohio, United States
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Fresh Fish!”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

You can catch trout without the need for a license. Heavily stocked - keep everything you catch - pay $6.95 a pound. Want fresh fish? Stop in, catch them, wait for,them to clean them and pack on ice!

Visited July 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina
72 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“Know what you're getting”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My kids had a blast here. But, this is not for everyone. It is 3 small ponds stocked with trout that bite the minute your line is in the water. Being trout, they splash around a bunch and make you work a little to reel them in. You pay $6.95/pound for everything you catch, so pretty much you're done in 10 minutes, after you catch the first fish. Why did I love this? Because someone else supplied all the gear and bait, helped the kids pull the hook out, cleaned the fish and gave it to us grill-ready. And it was delicious. This is fishing without all the usual hassle and boredom of fishing, with a guaranteed outcome of actually catching a fish. So in other words, not real fishing at all. The kids loved it.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Audrey W
Orlando, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Horrible! Don't waste your money!”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

The idiots that run this trout farm are completely inhumane. Not only did I NOT want to "fish" here. I had good reason. The wranglers that took our trout after we caught them, proceeded to rip the head off one of our trouts in front of our daughter. Blood spewed everywhere. And he threw it back in the bucket. She was scared and ran to the car crying. He laughed at me and shrugged it off. I was very amusing to him. I was shocked at the lack of respect he had for me, but more importantly he cared less about my daughter. I complained, but it went it one ear and out the other. There is no sport in catching canned trout. It was the worst day I ever spent in NC and I have spent 15 summers there. I will NEVER go there again, and I hope they go out of business. Soon!

Visited July 2012
10 Thank RUCirrius
Titusville, Florida
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Fishing at its best.”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Rainy, cloudy, day, and I love to fish. No license needed. Caught a 5 pounder as soon as the worm hit the water. Only drawback, you keep what you catch at $6.95 a pound, before cleaning. I kept 2 to the tune of $52. It's grilled trout tonight and tomorrow night.

Visited June 2013