“Goldwingers 2012” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Smokey's Smoke House - CLOSED

Smokey's Smoke House
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
“Goldwingers 2012”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stopped here in the mood for BBQ and were highly pleased that we did! We had 18 people and the wait was only about 20 minutes. They seated us, took our order and we had
our food within 10 minutes. I don't know how they did it but it was awesome. We ordered
a variety of different things on the menu and the food was fabulous. Some of the favorites were the brisket, bbq pork and ribs. Our group really didn't care for the turnip greens but
everything else was great.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

“Delicious food after a fun filled day at Grandfather Mountain!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

Really yummy food. Tremendous amount of food per plate! Will certainly stop here again! The double platter was enough to feed my family of four!

Lenoir, North Carolina
“Loved it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

We were on a road trip around the Boone-Blowing Rock-Banner Elk area and suddenly we realized we were hungry. We pulled in with no expectations but a full stomach and were rewarded with pleasant staff, a friendly bar and a really fun bartender. The food was excellent, the service was fast and the beer was cold.

I'm not sure what happened to the other reviewers, but we have recommended this place several times and will be going back.

• Visited September 2012
Blowing Rock, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“It's no Pappys”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

They don't seem to go out of their way to be super friendly. The waitress seemed rude and pushy. The food was average and over priced, and watching the cooks at work in the kitchen was not impressive. I'd rather wait an hour outside of Woodlands in Blowing Rock than get right in at Frontier. The food and service is better and at a better price.

• Visited October 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank D D
B Rock
“Good food, large portions but otherwise average in every respect...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Frontier BBQ is in the old "Pappy's" location near the 105/221 intersection at the bottom of Grandfather Mountain. Decor seems unchanged from when the place was "Pappy's"....a typical fake rustic with reproductions of old advertising signs on the walls. We were a party of seven for lunch, were seated right away but it took a little while before a server came to our table....restaurant was only about 1/4 full but it was just after noon so it's likely that the other diners had probably arrived within a short time of each other - this can put the wait staff in the hole to start with.

When we finally got a server to our table we ordered our drinks . non alcoholic drinks were brought in good time, but the people that ordered Bloody Marys were told that they would have to wait while someone ran to the store to buy some BLoody Mary Mix. NOT A GOOD SIGN!

Eventually, Bloody Marys did arrive and we were - after about a 10-12 minute wait, able to place our food orders. At this point I was pretty discouraged but it was only a very short wait between ordering and receiving our food.

I had the 1/2 smoked chicken....and it was PERFECT in every respect. An extra large portion of chicken and two very large sides (Fr. fries and Baked Beans). Another of our party also had the chicken and agreed with me that it was excellent. Those who had ordered the chopped pork BBQ were a little disappointed that the texture of the pork was "mushy", but the others in our party were very pleased with their food.

I give the decor and the service a "low 3 star average", I would give my smoked chicken dish a solid 4 star "very good" but perhaps should cut back a half star or so based on the comments my friends had about their pork.

Everyone did agree that the food was "Good" to "Very Good" and the portions large! I would go there again when I am in that area and I would recommend it to others as well. If our service had been better I wouldn't hesitate to bump this place to an overall 4 star "very good{",

• Visited September 2012