“Great vacation”
Review of Blue Ridge Village

Blue Ridge Village
Reviewed September 2, 2008

We stayed here on a time-share trade and after reading some reviews, I was a little unsure of what to expect. We were delighted. Our condo (2BR/2ba) was spacious; loft was wonderful. The upstairs balcony was peaceful and breezy. The staff was nice (especially Christine) and very helpful, offering tips and personal recommendations for various activities and places of interest. New paddle boats were added to the lake during our stay; there was a hotdog and s'mores cookout; and lots of offered activities, on premises, for vacationers, for a small fee. It was beautiful, peaceful and VERY hilly. All of my family, including 13 year old daughter, enjoyed the vacation. We usually go to the beach, so this was quite different for us. Would highly recommend.

Stayed: July 2008
2  Thank drostfamily

Reviewed August 3, 2008

Considering this was supposedly one of only places left on the east coast when I called RCI for a trade I felt I didn't have much of a choice. I requested a 2 BR since that was what my trade allowed me. I was told there were none but it is evident from the parking lot here that is not the truth. The units are in need of upldating. I would guess that the kitchen cabinbets and appliances are about 10 years old. The bedroom furniture is French Provencial and reminds me of mine as a teenager (some 35 years ago!). There are enough dishes and linens for 4 and there are 3 of us. However, we had to immediately hit the supermarket as we figured the roll of toilet tissue on the roll wouldn't last long and there was no more. The metal holding bar broke off the refrigerator door within our 1st hour but maintenance was right on the spot and repaired it immediately. Our bed smells like Ben Gay so I am assuming the previous guests were either elderly or in pain from hiking!! There is a whirlpool tub and washer/dryer in the unit.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank Anne M
Reviewed June 17, 2008

My wife and I just completed a 2 day stay here. From the moment we checked in until our departure, we were most favorably impressed. The place is beautiful. The room was completely and we might even say lavishly equipped not to speak of being clean and comfortable. Bottom line is that not only was the cost unbelievably reasonable but the place just could not have been better. It certainly deserves a 5 star rating.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jwe11647
Reviewed February 25, 2008

Our experience was definitely better than some previous reviews had led me to expect. Check-in was flawless, with lots of information provided. The check-in area is in the “club-house,” which houses a warm indoor pool and whirlpool/sauna. There are also tennis courts, a fishing lake with paddle boats (closed in winter), and a silly little putt-putt course. The facilities are certainly not upscale, but the tropically warm, glass-enclosed pool was a nice break from the cold weather and skiing. There is free high-speed wireless internet access (bring your own computer) in the clubhouse (but not in units), and a DVD rental machine.

Our one-bedroom unit was very large. The bedroom, storage area, and bathroom were vast; the kitchen and living room smaller, but still large enough. The living room had a remote-control gas log fireplace, which was –very- warm. The kitchen was fully stocked with large and small appliances, pots/pans, dishes and silverware. The unit also had a washer & dryer. The bed and pillows were excellent, as were the towels.

The location is very near the entrance to Sugar Mountain Resort, which was active with skiing when we visited. Beech Mountain and Appalachian Ski Resort are also close by.

There is a shopping center practically next door to the facility, with a new Food Lion grocery store. The small town of Banner Elk is nearby, which has some nice restaurants and shops. Boone, which has everything you could need, is about 20 minutes away. The Blue Ridge Parkway is close.

My only complaint was with the maintenance and upkeep. While our unit was nice, it was beginning to show its age (which I would estimate to be around 20-25 years old). Wallpaper was peeling in a few places in the bathroom, and there had been some water leaks around the central heating/cooling ducts. The bathroom fan rattled loudly, and the refrigerator door did not close fully, which led to some leaks. The central heat struggled a bit on cold nights. We understood that the resort had recently been taken over by Festiva (from Wyndham), so maybe maintenance improvements will come.

Overall, it was a very pleasant, relaxing stay. We would go back, especially at the right price.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank radio71
Reviewed February 10, 2008

I stayed at Blue Ridge Village in July 2006 for a week in a large 2 bed room and the whole family loved it. Our unit had a huge den, living, dining area on the first floor ,which was at ground level to the parking lot, so no stairs to climb when coming in with groceries or luggage. The master bed room and bath were in a loft upstairs, and the unit was huge!

The master bed room in the upstairs lof thas a kingsize bed and a jaccuzzi tub that will hold 2 adults. There is a private deck accessed only from the master bedroom through sliding glass doors. There is a fold out couch on the landing upstairs just outside the master bed room.

Downstairs is another deck accessed from the den. There is a gas fireplace and a washer/dryer downstairs along with a full kitchen. You have a dining room table, a bar with bar stools, and another table to play cards or board games on. The couch and chairs in the den are large and comfortable.

The resort has a large indoor pool with great views of Grandfather Mountain while you are swimming. There is also a workout room, tennis courts, fishing lake with paddle boats, 9 hole putt-putt course, and tennis courts.

There are planned activities and hikes every day which were a lot of fun. There is a lot to do in this area in the summer.

I have stayed at Chetola (really nice) and Highlands at Sugar (nice) on previous trips, but i would rather stay here.

My family was spending a week in Gatlinburg in Desember 2007 and the kids wanted to go snow skiing. The slopes in Gatlinburg weren't open (lack of snow) so I called Sugar Mountain and they were open for skiing. Since we enjoyed staying at Blue Ridge Village so much in the summer I called and got rates for 2 weeknights. We got a large 2 bed room, checked in, drove about 3 miles to Sugar Mountain, and skiied from noon till 4pm. We went by the grocery store, got food for a couple of days, cooked supper, and were back at the slopes for 6-10 pm skiing. Skiied the next day til 4 and crashed exhausted at the room. We used the fireplace a lot this time.

We travel a lot and I enjoyed this resort in both summer and fall.
I would reccomend the area to anyone and I will stay at Blue Ridge Village again when our travel plans take us to the area.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank tom4357
Reviewed January 28, 2008

We live in Raleigh and were planning a ski weekend, two nights. After searching LOTS of hotel options in Boone & Banner Elk and surrounding area, this resort seemed to have the best rate - all the hotels double their prices on the weekend. I was a little leary b/c of other reviews, but it was a short trip, so decided to risk it. Plus, I have always had good luck with Expedia in the past.

We were assigned Unit 10-I, and it was a great surprise! We reserved a 1 bedroom, but were given a 2 bedroom - so the extra space was great. Appliances were all new (or close to new), clean, and in working order. Fireplace worked great, view was great, customer service was great. The only complaint we had was the mattress - it wasn't great, but it wasn't horrible either.

Kitchen was well stocked, the pool/hot tub was clean and much enjoyed. Overall - would highly recommend for an afforable weekend or longer.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank max25oliver
Reviewed December 6, 2007

Property is nice. 2 Bedrooms have gas fireplace, loft and jacuzzi tub (long not square which was great), all typical of nice RCI properties. We were situated close enough to clubhouse to use our WiFi in our condo. However, we had two horrible experiences with staff that will prevent us from returning. One front desk attendant sounded irritated and put out when we called about issues with the fireplace. The last night we stayed a security guard locked us into the pool area and then refused to open the main door and instead told us (through the door) that we had to walk outside and around the entire building on an icy deck, in a snow storm to get out. He refused to unlock the door he had just locked so we could exit safely. We expect average customer service when we travel, despite working ourselves at five star customer service organizations, however, this was well below even average customer service.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
Meadowbrook Inn
Meadowbrook Inn
#6 of 16 in Blowing Rock
Hampton Inn & Suites Boone

Been to Blue Ridge Village? Share your experiences!