“Excellent stay”
Review of Blue Ridge Village

Blue Ridge Village
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Two-bedroom unit was well equipped, roomy, clean, and very comfortable - sleeper sofa in living room and twin-size sleeper on balcony were extra bonus. Guest services was wonderful when we called for recommendations for a mechanic to help with a car problem. Not only provided the information, but sent security around to make sure everything was OK. Highly recommend this resort!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Blue Ridge Village

Reviewed July 12, 2012

My wife and I along with our daughter, her husband and 2 ½ year old twin girls spent the 4th of July week at Blue Ridge Village in Banner Elk. We exchanged through Interval, though this resort is also affiliated with RCI. We stayed in unit 4A which is a two bedroom unit that has a good view of Sugar Mountain across the road as well as the on-property lake and put-putt golf course. On the 4th, we had quite good views from our deck of fireworks from Grandfather Country Club, Linville Ridge and the town of Handley as well as fireworks on site that were set off over the lake. It is my understanding that some of the units or buildings have been renovated, however ours was not one of them. We did not participate in the optional sales presentation, so I can't say if it was high pressure or not.

Blue Ridge Village is in a great location just outside of Banner Elk and close to Boone and Grandfather Mountain as well as the ski resorts of Sugar and Beech mountains. It is an older resort, I would guess dating from the 1980s and in many ways it shows its age in both good and not-so-good ways. Like other east coast resorts of similar vintage, the units are large – even spacious. Our unit was on two levels with the master bedroom upstairs. The living room has a high vaulted ceiling with (noisy) ceiling fan and gas fireplace. There is a dated, but full sized kitchen, a dining room with large table and another round table and chairs in the living room. Overall, it is well equipped, though this was the first resort we have stayed at that did not have some sort of stereo in the living room. I am an NPR junkie and really missed the radio.

The main level has a nice deck and there is also a smaller deck off of the master bedroom. The downstairs bedroom has twin beds and there is a queen size sofa bed in the living room. There is also a smaller sofa bed on the upstairs loft. The unit is equipped with a stacked washer-dryer. The master bath is large with a huge, two person size whirlpool tub and plenty of counter space on both sides of the single lavatory. Because the bath tub is so large, there was very little room left for a shower or toilet, so a tiny (32” x 28”) fiberglass shower stall and toilet is crammed into the end of the bathroom. The king size bed was comfortable and was fitted with high quality linens. There are small (19”) CRT TVs in each bedroom and the living room. The downstairs bathroom had a standard size tub/shower.

Overall, everything was very clean and generally well maintained. The building is definitely showing its age, though. The paint is peeling from the exterior and the deck boards are quite aged with many loose nails. They have replaced some of the railing boards and as you look around, you see where stairs and deck components have been recently replaced. I reported two minor maintenance issues and each was quickly responded to. If this unit is representative of others, it is of an age that is requiring an increasing level of maintenance and repair. While everything worked, some of the issues I observed were; one burner on the range didn’t work, refrigerator door held together with masking tape, grout broken or missing on bathroom tiles and peeling laminate on the toe kicks of the bathroom cabinets.

There are charcoal grills between the buildings as well as some old and pretty rough natural gas grills near the main building. There is a nice propane grill at the pavilion near the lake (you check out the propane tank at the main desk), there are paddle boats, a nice playground, putt-putt golf, a fitness center in building 4, a nice indoor pool and hot tub in the main building, two very nice tennis courts and a ½ court basketball court. Sporting equipment can be checked out at the activities center, also in building 4.

Overall, the grounds are well maintained and attractive. I may be wrong, but I get the impression that this is a resort that had been allowed to deteriorate for some time, but new management or owners (Festiva Hospitality Group) are making a concerted effort to bring it up to snuff. All of the staff that I encountered were very friendly and helpful. While I could not quite put this on a par with some of the really outstanding resorts we have stayed at, it is a very nice place and we enjoyed our stay. That is why I can't give it a five start rating. I would, however, consider going to Blue Ridge Village again.

Room Tip: As for a room with a view of the lake. Building 4 is where the fitness and activity centers are. If...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Fingerpicker8
Reviewed June 21, 2012

The 2 bedroom villa was spacious and clean. The bed was a little too soft, but overall accommodations were above average. The poorhouse and tennis courts were a great attraction for our family. We also spent some time walking around. The putt-putt course needs a makeover and the lake was a little crowded for fishing and paddle boats, but very nicely situated nonetheless...again...very affordable place for families. We really loved the location...minutes away from local grocery store, restaurants and church. Recommend staying here if you're looking for relaxation in a friendly environment. The people of Banner Elk were very friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for room with view of mountains, so you can enjoy the deck.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Iknowtravel2012
Reviewed June 19, 2012

We just returned from a week here and absolutely loved the accommodations -- very roomy and newly renovated. The only drawbacks were the thin walls others have mentioned and the slow internet. The thin walls were only a problem one night when the guests next door stayed up until 2 AM and were talking/laughing loudly. Fortunately, we were in an end unit and the bedroom walls are outside walls. I was only disturbed because I chose to stay up late reading in the living area. Regarding the internet, we had hoped to stream some movies, but the internet was so slow it was impossible. I realize that this may be beyond BRV's control, but I think it would have been nice to know before coming. Overall, the location of BRV was ideal for us -- just a quarter mile to Food Lion and coffee shop -- and centrally located for all of the activities we enjoyed.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Brudude120
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I've stayed at this place twice. Both times we were in a renovated condo, which is great. There were very few people around the first time so did not notice the noise that much. The last time was much more crowded and not ideal. The walls are paper thin which means you can hear your neighbors sneeze, cough, laugh, talking, walking (or thundering down the halls is more like it), and flushing the toilet.

The grounds are nice and great location in Banner Elk but to me it is not worth the money for poorly insulated walls. It is comparable to being in the same room as your neighbors.

The time share presentation is not ideal and is hard to avoid without being forced to pay additional fees.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank NChotelrater
Reviewed June 8, 2012

I never write reviews but for this one it was a must!!! This is a fantastic resort!! Must stay in superior room as they are absolutely gorgeous with everything you can imagine....even a washer and dryer!! And the staff was just a joy. Really friendly and helpful. We will definitely stay here again when we go back to the mountains for skiing this winter.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I had a terrible experience.

I purchased a 3 day weekend from a sales agent that called me. I paid $200 -- the same price as they were advertising on Groupon at the time (I figured purchasing directly from them would mean they keep more of the money, ie better for the resort).

What a mistake.

After booking they called me and asked me to attend a sales presentation. I said I'd try.

We went hiking that day, got a little lost, and didn't make it back in time for the sales presentation.

The minute I got home, another sales rep called me up and said they were charging my credit card $250 for not attending the presentation! What a scam. I was never made aware of the charge and would never have agreed to it. Unreal. I mean, what if you got sick, or someone in your family got sick, or a family member died, or you had a car accident that day, or even couldn't make it up that weekend (work, weather, for any reason)? Completely unreasonable, especially given that I had paid full market price for the weekend (ie it wasn't free and the money was non-refundable -- I was told that on the phone).

So, buyer beware, Festiva simply isn't trustworthy.

I would strictly avoid giving them your credit card -- buy through groupon, expedia or any online site if you simply have to deal with Festiva.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated condo (they are actually pretty nice inside, but the walls are paper thin -- I c...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Meadowbrook Inn
Meadowbrook Inn
#7 of 15 in Blowing Rock
Hampton Inn & Suites Boone

Been to Blue Ridge Village? Share your experiences!