“Always a fun afternoon or evening if you check the snow report”

Sugar Mountain Resort
Ranked #13 of 21 things to do in Banner Elk
More attraction details
Owner description: Big-mountain ski resort area featuring a 1,200-foot vertical drop and ski runs of one-and-one-half miles.
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I live about an hour away, I have my own gear and I'm used to icy slopes, so Sugar is just fine. It's great that it has some longer runs, though I wish they'd invest in a high-speed lift. It's a looong way to the top on a cold day. But then, lift tickets would probably go up in price and I'm fine with $25 for a 4-hour weeknight session. Because I live close, I can go when conditions seem good and that's the key to an enjoyable time. I don't think I'd spend a whole day here - too many people and not enough runs. I expect it's a good place to learn because there's nothing too intimidating. I've never eaten there and I don't need equipment or facilities so no comment on any of that except that the bathrooms are generally clean.

All reviews
in 8 reviews
"oktoberfest"
"temps"

Reviewed January 26, 2013

Only had 4 lanes and kept closing one. Promised 1hr and 45 mins for $25 a person, but only got 1 hr and 25 mins.

2  Thank PaigeRw
Reviewed January 26, 2013

There was fresh snow but too many novices. The whole area is picturesque. It is a longer drive to go to Beech Mountain but even more novice snow boarders.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Considering where this is....great hill to learn on ...if you learn to ski here you can ski anywhere. Great ski school

See more reviews
Reviewed January 22, 2013

My husband and I just returned from Banner Elk where we spent the day at Sugar Mountain Resort. First of all, it is totally UNFAIR to compare this resort to those out West. Two totally different areas with very different terrain and weather conditions. Big vs. small. Ford Ranger vs Ford Raptor. Yep, unfair.
This was our first trip to Sugar so we didn't know our way around. We parked in Lot 2 and were taken by a shuttle bus up to the mountain. They have adequate signage directing you to the best area to purchase your tickets---one area for lift tickets only, another for rentals and lift tickets. The young lady that rang us up was very pleasant and gave us direction as to where to proceed next. The fellow at the ski rental desk was great and was very helpful in ensuring that we were given skis that were compatible with our skill level. We then chose to rent one of the large gray lockers to store our bags. You will get part of this money back---they also have coin lockers, but they are smaller. The locker area was cool (temperature wise) which I liked because getting in and out of ski boots can be a workout.
We warmed up in the area with the magic carpet and then proceeded to a green slope called Easy Street. The staff in both areas was extremely nice and helpful. The lift operator gave me tips to make my departure from the lift a little smoother.
Lunch prices were normal for such areas. Had burgers, fries and cheese fries. No complaints.There are picnic tables in the locker area if you choose to bring your own food which I thought was a good option.
Overall, we had a very pleasant day and will be going back the first chance we get! A few tips---Check slope/weather conditions before you arrive, remember which lot you are parked in, and have some cash on hand( quarters for small lockers or bills for the larger size).

5  Thank We_Love_to_go_bye