“Guest and pet friendly! :D”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Banner Elk
The Banner Elk Inn, B&B and Cottages
Ranked #3 of 8 Banner Elk B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 18, 2009

We took a trip to the mountains for my husband's birthday so that we could relax and do some outdoorsy stuff (white water rafting, biking, etc). We got lost on the mountains on the way up (get directions from a real person and don't rely on GPS for this area!), so I called Beverly (owner) and told her we'd be in well after dark, so she prepared our room for us by putting the heating and lights on! What great personal attention! The attention clearly extended to the room (the Edwardian) which was elegantly decorated without being stuffy or overly antiquey as many B&B's are (though there were some beautiful antique pieces like an Edwardian lamp). The bed was incredibly soft (I have a bad back so I'm usually fussy about beds), the bath had a jetted tub with bath salts available, the kitchen was stocked with some homemade goodies (my husband loved the chocolaate chip cookies and banana bread) and coffee with a mini grinder, the CD player came with a wide selection of classical music (I'm a sucker for Bach and Tchaikovsky), the fireplace was so inviting, and the deck (on the duplex cabins) was gated in so the guests could bring their pets and they'd have their own little space to play outside. She seems to have thought of everything! Breakfast was delicious and all homemade--cottage cheese and raspberry/ blueberry pancakes, crunchy multigrain bread, bacon, and fruit all served on elegant china in her dining room. We felt really welcome and comfortable the entire time. I only wish we could stay for longer! The town is out of the way from bigger areas like Boone, but definitely worth the drive. The inn is in walking/biking distance of a park (with dog park and there were kiddie stuff there too) and some shops/ restaurants/ espresso bar. It's all very cute looking. I would recommend bringing a road bike to this area. Also, have dinner at the Mast Farm Inn--I have a review on this too. It's about a 15 minute drive away and so worth it.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Banner Elk Inn, B&B and Cottages

Reviewed December 27, 2008

The Banner Elk Inn sits about .3 miles from the main street in banner elk. Far enough away from the slopes but also close enough to dining. We enjoyed the loft room which has one sitting room connected to the bathroom. It's a tight fit getting up the stairs but worth the stay for a simple and fun room. The tub (in the room) is also something to think about while there which happens to also be your shower.

We booked very early but most people can get a reservation less than a month in advance.

Stayed: December 2008
Reviewed November 17, 2008

We selected the Banner Elk Inn for our wedding locale and we are so happy that we did. The setting was so romantic and lovely and when our guests arrived we were sp pleased that our wedding location in the beautiful NC mountains delivered the WOW factor. The rooms in the Inn are beautifully appointed and the Cottages and the Bark House are spacoius and very inviting. The Inn Keeper is wonderful, very gracious and elegant. Her attention to detail is her greatest amenity; from the linens to the mouth watering breakfasts to the grounds surrounding the Inn, her touches are evident and so surprising. As one of our guests remarked, "this place reminds me of a story book" and we couldn't agree more. The Banner Elk Inn will always be a very special place for us and we will be planning our first wedding anniversary there. We LOVE the Banner Elk Inn and we are so grateful for a picture perfect wedding!

Kendall and James
Mt. Holly, NC

• Stayed: October 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed June 29, 2008

Our experience in a Edwardian cottage at the Banner Elk Inn was outstanding. The cottage was beautifully furnished, quiet, a true oasis from the busy world. Beverly is a master Innkeeper & chef who served a well prepared hot breakfast & provided a variety of pastry & fruit for snacks. We would definitely return.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2006

I first visited the Banner Elk Inn many years ago. My room, upstairs, was so welcoming and comfortable, with every one of the thoughtful, special little touches that mean so much when you're away from home, that I really did feel at home. Over the years I've found that each of the rooms is different and delightful in its own way. And Beverly's breakfasts...wow! They 're not only delicious and creative but served very elegantly on fine china by a huge picture window. Your day starts off so beautifully. Our most recent stay was in the Edwardian, one of the Briarwood Cottages, and I have to say that was a special experience...we felt like royalty. I guess we always feel like royalty at the Banner Elk Inn.

• Stayed: May 2002, traveled with family
1  Thank evjohnston
Reviewed September 10, 2006

My favorite destination in the North Carolina mountains is The Banner Elk Inn, with its Briarwood Cottages and a newly built barkwood and stone cabin. Visiting the village of Banner Elk and staying in nearly every accommodation Beverly Lait has remodeled or built has been a great joy for sixteen years.

We first stayed in the lovely 1912 Banner Elk Inn when my family would come to hike, fly fish, see wonderful plays or hear Ray Hicks telling stories at Lees-McRae College.

Beverly’s attention to details and her artistic flair in everything she does make a trip to the mountains very special. The accommodations are immaculate. I love the porches and listening to the falling water from the two stone fountains.

The porches are links to the mountain views, the refreshing breezes, and visits with other guests, family, and friends. It is such a treat to have coffee, go for a mountain walk, sit on the porch, and then enjoy Beverly’s gourmet breakfasts served in Spode china. The offerings include cottage cheese pancakes, shrimp and grits, sausage and egg casserole, homemade breads, fresh fruits, and mountain-made jams. There are also cereals and an assortment of fine teas.

The Banner Elk Inn is a place for all seasons. Seeing the reflections of light and shadow on the mountains, the rhododendron in bloom, the brilliant changing leaf colors, or the snow-covered peaks are joys. A month ago, I picked my favorite season. When my son was married in August in Banner Elk, the wedding party stayed at the Banner Elk Inn and Briarwood Cottages. Every detail of our stay was perfect. The mountains seemed to be decked out for a wedding with the white hydrangea in bloom.

Our love for the mountains is entwined with our love of staying in Banner Elk with Beverly Lait.

Stayed: August 2006
3  Thank TripFriend
Reviewed September 6, 2006

We had the pleasure of staying in one of the new cottages. In fact, when we arrived, we were able to choose the one we wanted. This was a business/pleasure trip, where three other couples joined us for three nights. They, too, were most pleased with the accommodations, even the couples who stayed in smaller rooms.

Beverly, the Innkeeper, was very pleasant and most accommodating. There was a very warm and welcoming room in the main house, available to any guest, 24/hr a day, setup with soft drinks, coffee and tea available to brew and sweets. If you got a food craving in the middle of the night (not that we did), one could pop over and fix something. Although the cottage we stayed in had a small kitchen. Our place was comfortably decorated with beautiful furniture and the bathroom had a spa tub. We could use the window a/c if needed, but on most nights, even on a hot day, the temperature cools and you can open windows, especially if you want to hear the crickets and outside noises. There is a street outside, with cars occasionally driving by, but I am a very light sleeper and the noises outside didn't bother me. In fact, I loved listening to the rock fountain that Beverly built this summer.

There was another couple we knew staying at a diffeent B&B just down the road. I gather their host and hostess (husband/wife team) are not nearly as welcoming and as open to guest's requests as Beverly. In fact, our friends complained about all the rules.

Beverly let us decide what time we wanted to eat breakfast and she asked us what we would like. The first morning she made oatmeal especially for my husband. The following mornings she would give us her recommended specialities (cottage cheese pancakes, sausage and egg casserole, quiche) and she would fix any of those. Homemade bread was always on hand as well as fruit, cookies and brownies.

If you can plan your visit to that area, then you can, hopefully, have your choice of a room that you would like (king, queen, etc.). If you just show up, you might end up with one of the smaller rooms, although they are appointed with fine linens, comfortable beds,etc. They are just smaller.

There are even two rooms in the attic. They would not be my choice, but on a NASCAR weekend in Bristol, TN, you might want to consider enjoying the hospitality of Beverly and her great breakfasts. Bristol is only an hour's drive. We have stayed there before. In the way of comfortable hotels, well, there just are not any to the quality of this B&B's accommodations.

We also had the pleasure of meeting two couples, long-time friends of Beverly's. They have been attending the NASCAR race in Bristol for almost 20 years and have stayed at this B&B for many of those races. We loved meeting and talking with them.

It's a great place to relax and enjoy a beautiful area. We recommend it highly. P.S. I left a small pouch that Beverly mailed to me immediately.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business
Azalea Inn Bed and Breakfast
The Lodge at River Run
The Lodge at River Run
#3 of 9 in Banner Elk

Been to The Banner Elk Inn, B&B and Cottages? Share your experiences!