“Really great experience!”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Banner Elk Stables
More attraction details
Owner description: Guided horse-tours for all ages with spectacular views of Grandfather Mountain.
Columbus, OH
“Really great experience!”
Reviewed July 28, 2010

I was at the stables today for my first horseback riding experience, and I must admit that I totally loved it. The people at the stables were very friendly, and so were all the animals! The horses are very well trained. Being a newcomer to horseback riding, I had no trouble with my horse. The views of Banner Elk are great, and on a good weather day (like today), it was just gorgeous.

This is a highly recommended activity in Banner Elk. Try and book your ride in advance though (it is popular).

1 Thank TheOzzman

New Jersey
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Family riding at its best in NC High Country”
Reviewed September 9, 2008

Great experience. Well mannered horses and the staff was a caring and personable. The trails were too wimpy for me but they provided a fine family experience. Loved those blackberries...

2 Thank Ron_E_B
Charlotte, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Horse Back in the Mountains”
Reviewed July 21, 2008

We rode as a family on this guided trail ride. We had two adults and two children ages 7 and 9.

The stables are located in a little valley up a gravel road. The scenery leading there is nice as it follows a stream and passes some barns.

At first glance the stables are much to look at. Parking is easy and the office is located a short walk up the hill. Horses are strewn about in a paddock and in a barn. The office is old, but in a somewhat charming way. Checking in was easy since we were the only ones there on a Saturday. Cost was $30 per rider.

The kids were required to wear helmets and each had their own horse. Our guide was a college aged girl who was very good with the kids and seemed to know what she was doing. The older lady who checked us in was a little gruff at first, but then warmed up to the kids after some time. The older gentleman who also joined us on the ride (I assume the husband) was also nice.

After saddleing up in the paddock we headed for the trail. The beginning part ended up being the hardest since it was mostly straight downhill and on a narrow, rocky path. However, after that we were on the trail and went up, down and around some hills and through trees and creeks. We had spectacular views of Grandfather Mountain at some points.

The trail dips down into the valley and then works its way back to the stables. We were on the trail for about an hour.

I think it's hard to not have fun while riding horses. Escpecially with kids. The length of the ride was just right. I was ready to get off when done and didn't feel like it was short. The kids had a blast and I was happy to see the guide held a rope attached to my 7 year old daughter's horse.

You don't really have to know how to "ride" a horse, although you do have to steer a little, encourage the horse when it stops and deter it from trying to eat the bushes along the way.

One thing the kids loved, but I was a little cautious about was the dogs at the stables. There were about 10 of them of all types and sizes(plus a goat and a chicken), . The kids spent a long time playing with them and asking their names. Although there were no problems and the dogs kept to themselves, that many walking around caused a little concern (to me at least).

Overall, we had a great time. This isn't luxury, but it was nice and a little rough around the edges. The trail was nice in that it wasn't just flat and boring, you had to do some work. I felt my kids were safe and they said they loved it.

2 Thank ckralich
NC
“Excellent Adventure”
Reviewed June 6, 2008

I took my four year old daughter there and we had a blast. Our guide was excellent. It was a beautiful trail that we took that at one point we could see a beautiful view of grandfather mountain. We will definately be going back. It was great!

1 Thank perez010504
Hillsborough, NC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Riding in the Mountains”
Reviewed March 15, 2008

I took 5 young girls (ages 3 thru 9) to ride horses for the first time. The girls 7 years and older were able to ride horses on their own while the 2 youngest were able to ride with their moms. The horses were so well trained (2 of ours had been in well-known movies) and the trails were beautiful! Danny, our guide, was very patient and thoughtful.

1 Thank prelcan