“A very memorable meal ”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

A desk cleark told me about all of the places arround, and mentioned the the head chief of the fancy place had quit and started his own. If you want the $200 dollar meal for $45, this is the place. I had the fresh trout with cheese grits and collard greens. Wow. What did he do to those greens and grits? I topped it off with a beer for $2. My guest, Lady Mary had the Moscato wine, Salmon, spinach and cheese grits because she was afraid she wouldn't like collard greens. She tasted them and ate a bunch of my collards. We also had the real key lime pie. Key lime is not a cheese cake. This chef had it right, but used whip cream topping. In the Keys where I lived it was usually a meringue.But this was excellent.
We got out of there for about $60. Next trip to Beech Mt. I'll be down to Painted Fish for sure.

1  Thank ottcf

Reviewed May 28, 2014

This was the 3rd visit, before reviewing. The previous visits had poor service with mediocre food. The final visit was for Sunday brunch & a big let down. I ordered the buttermilk chicken salad. The plate arrived with plain iceberg lettece and a piece of fried chicken! No tomatoes, or onions, carrots, or even dressing! Just plain lettece. I had to request the dressing & started to ask for additional veggies, but I thought the kitchen would not understand! My advice would be to go somewhere else or prepare your own.

1  Thank cheryl28269
Reviewed May 28, 2014

This is my go-to restaurant when I have guests in town. Everything is done well here, the prices are mid-range, the menu is creative, and the desserts are exceptional. You just can't go wrong at The Fish!

Reviewed May 17, 2014

This restaurant was recommended by two volunteers at the Visitors' Center on Highway 421 near Wilkesboro, NC. when we told them we were heading toward Banner Elk. Later on that same day, another person recommended this same restaurant. Man, oh man! It is worthy of dozens of recommendations. This is a place to bring any "foodie" in your life! This is a place to return to time after time because there are more choices than one can make during a single visit. I have to mention the DESSERTS! Incredible . . . to die for . . . unbelievable . . . totally creative . . . very unusual combination of flavors . . . This is a restaurant one could drive for 100 miles to get to and it be worth every minute of the drive! Oh yes, I will be back!

Reviewed May 12, 2014

We dropped in for our first visit for a Mother's Day brunch while visiting our son. Wife's Greek salad was good, and my Salmon Hash with two eggs over easy was undoubtedly the most unique dish I've had outside New Orleans. (Recommend backing off on the bacon just a bit) Service was friendly and prompt. Can't wait to go back again on the next visit.

1  Thank Carl B