“Blackened trout, with greens and blue cheese mash.”

The Painted Fish Cafe
Ranked #11 of 51 Restaurants in Banner Elk
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 16, 2011

I travel frequently and love eating local foods. So as I stay a night in Banner Elk and researched the local cuisine. I drove around, as I am solo, and took a peek at several choices I had made. Saw three restaurants (window shopping) and all were dead. It was in the "dead season" here. However, I wanted a bit of atmosphere, so I continued and found The Frog and the Monkey. I sat at the bar and was greeted by a relaxed and comfortable bartender, cool dude. I was pleased to find a gluten free beer from Spain. Delicious. I ordered the blackened local trout, greens, blue cheese mash potatoes, and an extra side of julienne cut veggies. Being a former restaurant owner I have become critical of cooking methods and quality. Dinner came out perfect. I preferred the blackened season more spicier, however; it was flavorful and did not take away from the flavor of the fish. The blue cheese mash was strong with real flavored blue cheese. If you don't like a heavy blue, don't order it. The greens was perfectly cooked and was a great balance with the fish. Follow up with the blue cheese mash for slap in yo face! The veggies on the side was also cooked properly, with a slight crunch and lightly seasoned. It takes a substantial experience for me to get the time to write up something positive or negative, but the place deserved my attention. Oh, the prices are very reasonable. $3.00 a beer, around $16.00 for the dinner, and 2 bucks for the extra side of veggies. For the quality, well worth it.

Reviewed November 14, 2011

Dinning with the family, this is the place to go. Great menu with something for everyone. Don't forget to order the onion rings....

Reviewed November 1, 2011

We had a family get away the last weekend in October in the Banner Elk area. My wife and I were able to sneak out for a dinner for two. The thing that intrigued me about this place is full title of the restaurant.. "and Beer Bar". I enjoy sampling high quality, craft beers. The menu was high quality with broad range of opportunities from burgers to elegantly presented dishes. The prices were very fair and the food was excellent. They had many beers on the list that I have not tasted or heard of and they were excellent as well. The desserts were awesome, reasonably priced, and they happily packaged them for us to go.

Reviewed October 10, 2011

Food choices limited; way overpriced for amount that you receive. Also don't try for service or attention to get a place when staff isn't in the mood to serve you (no matter what time of day) -- wouldn't even let us get a takeout -- several tables empty at the time. Attitude was, "you aren't wanted, stay away" -- went to a restaurant down the road -- no problem getting service & food
Also the echo in that restaurant is really annoying -- can't have a conversation with person across the table -- everyone has to yell at each other to be heard.
In my opinion, not worth the effort of getting in -- better quality & atmosphere at other locations

2  Thank Vince2004
Reviewed October 4, 2011

Went here over the Labor days weekend with the hubby. We made 5pm reservations and arrived at 4pm to have a drink and app. Bartender was very friendly and attentive. He gave us great advise on beer and wine selection, and with that said , we ordered the pepper poppers. Yum Yum. Our table was waiting for us, and the hubby ordered the tuna and I the filet, I was hesitant to order it with the pimento cheese but I figured "go for it". and I am so glad I did. The steak was perfectly made to order, and the cheese was just a bonus. Everything was amazing, We wouldn't change a thing. Next time we go to the mountains, we will definately return. Thank you "Painted Fish" Thank you!!

1  Thank LOVESJESUS