“Warm & Friendly Restaurant with Delicious Food!”
Review of The Frog & the Monkey - CLOSED

The Frog & the Monkey
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed April 10, 2013

My boyfriend and I met another couple here for dinner while staying in Banner Elk for a snowboarding trip. Originally we thought this restaurant would have more of a pub feel but upon arriving the atmosphere was more open and welcoming. It felt comfortable and welcoming.

They had a decent selection of beer (a must after a day on the slopes) and the menu had a wide variety of choices. I had the Cottage Pie (basically Shepards Pie). It was delicious! I also couldn't resist ordering a chocolate frog for dessert, stuffed with marshmallow! A very unique dessert I must say. It's very large and rich so be sure to have some friends to split it with!

What I was most impressed by was their commitment to the community! There is artwork on the walls, which was created by kids from the Grandfather Home for Children. This is a local organization which houses abused and abandoned kids. Also a portion of their profits from the restaurant go to this organization!

A wonderful restaurant that I would recommend to anyone headed to this area!

Reviewed April 5, 2013

I moved to the high country in October of 2011, from Knoxville, TN. & the only thing i miss is the lack of choices of places to eat. Knoxville is a hot bed for restaurants, especially ethnic food. One of my favorites being falafel. When i herd the frog & the monkey served it I was stoked & had to try it. What i was served was far from good. I would classify it as disgusting. It was so spicey i could not eat it, & i love me some spicey food, no kidding i have like 12 kinds of hot sauce in my fridge. Not to mention that the tahinni sauce was spoiled. I was so disappointed. My girlfriend had one of the pizza's, i should have ordered that it was pretty good, can't deny then that. Our friend had the crab cakes, they were way over seasoned in my opinion. All in all i won't go back.

1  Thank lovesmesomegoodfood
Reviewed March 29, 2013

No this isn't Oz, that up the road on Beech Mountain. In Banner Elk, just off Main Street, hides this hidden Gem. Run by John and Lindy (I can't keep straight which is Frog and which is Monkey) there are always fun and unique dishes on the menu. For lunch or diner, those in the knowes, goes.............

1  Thank MtnMan7863
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Entertaining a candidate for a senior staff position, we were looking for an informal restaurant in Banner Elk and we certainly found the Frog and Monkey to be just that.

Great food, good atmosphere and all served with a sense of humour. An animated monkey will certainly cheer anyone up.

Reasonable prices, a decent wine list, fresh foods, all in a great formula.

We will return, we must return!

2  Thank walthervliegen
Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

We visit this restaurant about once a mounth. My husband & I have tried nearly every thing on the menu. It is always very fresh! Being a meat eater I love their bison burger,but I must say their walnut mushroom burger is as the menu says 'Awsome'. For how this little venu presents it self & the great food offered it is just what we were looking for, something different.

2  Thank chapmanBannerElk