“Best in Banner Elk Region”
Review of Hearthstone Tavern and Grille - CLOSED

Hearthstone Tavern and Grille
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hwy 184 and Hwy 105
Charlotte, NC
“Best in Banner Elk Region”
Reviewed July 14, 2011

Interesting how almost all reviews are either "love" or "hate". Most who didn't like this place visited in 2010; I suspect major positive changes were made since then. We spent a week in the Banner Elk area, eating at about 5 restaurants. None compared to Hearthstone. It was superb - excellent service (Kelly was wonderful), wonderful atmosphere/ambiance, and great food. My wife and I split 6 appetizers rather than do entrees, and they were great. Fried green tomatoes with crayfish (and Cajun type sauce) really novel and excellent; PEI mussels really excellent; crab cake was maybe the best we've ever enjoyed; calamari nicely cooked (no heavy batter). Great chocolate dessert, along with nice bottle of wine. All in all, from atmosphere to service to food . . . best place in the entire mountain area.

• Visited July 2011
5 Thank vibrioguy

Oldsmar
“Martini Monday!”
Reviewed June 20, 2011

Fun new martini menu and free appetizer on Mondays. Cucumber martini. Watermelon martini. Mmmm

2 Thank Suntanfran
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Nice decor but .....”
Reviewed February 21, 2011

We made our reservation for a weekend dinner on OpenTable. We were seated with our friends near the fireplace which was lovely. We found the service indifferent and the food quite bland. Prices were much too high for the quality we received.. Next time we will just go the the bar and forget the meal here.

• Visited February 2011
4 Thank pennym3236
Greensboro, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great meal and friendly service!”
Reviewed November 10, 2010

I had a trip planned to the High Country with friends and we had discussed eating at the Hearthstone. Since I am gluten free, I emailed them a couple days before my trip to see if they were "gluten free friendly". My emails were answered quickly with the assurance that they could meet my dietary needs. My meal was excellent and the staff was very friendly. I highly recommend the Hearthstone!

1 Thank lizajane44
Summerville, SC
“Nothing good to say.”
Reviewed August 28, 2010

I'd like to be able to say I like The Hearthstone but I don't. The food was sub par and so was the service.

8 Thank WmPBurger