“Forgot to review the last time I was here”

Azalea Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 8 Banner Elk B&B and Inns
Miami, Oklahoma
“Forgot to review the last time I was here”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I was here this summer and didn't write a review but wanted to catch up.

Azalea Inn seems very lovely. We didn't spend much time here because I was up for a wedding and spent most of my time away from the inn, but enjoyed every minute when I was here.

It was clean, friendly and the little girl running the place was splendid. She seemed to have her hands full but was doing a fine job.

I'll stop here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Most bed and breakfasts do not allow families and this prevents us from staying, most places. We travel with our 10 year old son and 7 year old daughter. Most of the time it's just hotels and motels for us but someone suggested the Azalea Inn and I gave them a call.

The innkeepers said they had cabins where families could stay and we were delighted.

The cabin has a sleeper sofa. Greg and Amy provided an extra set of sheets and a blanket. The whole family was very happy. The Azalea has a wonderful little fire pit and flower garden. The garden is in a dreaded winter state but will be beautiful in the spring, but the fire pit is nice any time. We had a good time roasting marsh mellows.

We will be back in the spring.

Room Tip: The eagles nest cottage has a small balcony to sit and watch the sunrise. It's a little blocked...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We have stayed at Azalea several times, twice this year. Each time, it seems to get better and we are looking forward to our next stay, perhaps for ski season. We came a few years ago for the first time and knew we would be back. We came last year and the owners were extremely nice. We have been here three times this year and will be back again.

As a frequent traveler, we have stayed at many places and always look for the best. In Banner Elk, we got lucky on the first try and will always consider the Azalea our home away from home.

Greg and Amy are great additions to the inn and we look forward to having them as future hosts. The baked omelet was very good and there was plenty of it. The fresh fruit, sliced banana, grapes, and kiwi were a nice touch. Walking in the door, there were fresh cookies every day; each day, something new.

Greg arranged a massage for me and my wife. The therapist came to the inn. She came to our room. It was one of the best massages I've had and Brenda said the same.

All-in-all it is the best B&B I've stayed in; clean, quiet, comfortable, like home.

Room Tip: The cabins have room for a professional in-room massage. The house rooms are nice too.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Wendell, North Carolina
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We absolutely LOVE The Azalea Inn! Greg and Amy are the most gracious hosts. We have stayed at the Inn three times now and look forward to our next stay. We stay in the Willow Room and love the cozy room and the relaxing private porch. Greg and Amy prepare a delicious breakfast and the coffee is ready early to enjoy in your room or outside. There are many restaurants located nearby within walking distance.
Rick & Brenda Montgomery

Room Tip: Love the Willow with the private porch and rocking chairs
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thomasville, North Carolina
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Never have I felt so at home while being away from home, especially in someone else's house.

When at a bed and breakfast, you are sleeping in someone else's house and most people are never as comfortable away from home, but Greg and Amy made me feel like I was as welcome at their home as any family would have been.

I arrived in the middle of the week and was the only person there the first two nights, so they invited me to have dinner with them. They made me feel like family and it was really nice, since I had to leave my dog at home. I wish they were pet friendly.

They well made up for the lack of pets with their hospitality.

It was one of the best B&B experiences I've had. It was comfy, clean, quite, warm, and very welcoming. The second night, I was a little apprehensive about disturbing their family time. But, they came to the room and said they would love o have me join them. It like being at a bed and breakfast AND dinner lodge. I brought out my wine and everyone seemed to have a great evening.

I've already booked another stay and will being coming here every time I'm in Banner Elk.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I met some friends in Banner Elk and stayed at Azalea Inn. The owners were very kind and the b&b very very clean. It was a very nice place to stay and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys b&b's. Breakfast was well prepared and there was more than I could eat. The bed was very soft and comfortable. It's somewhere I would like to come back. The owners were great and very friendly. They made you feel like old friends. We sat with them for a couple hours each night, learning about Azalea and the area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Landenberg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 20, 2012

My wife and I, and another couple who had been here before, stayed here during a most beautiful time (autumn) in the North Carolina mountains. The town of Banner Elk itself is pretty small and doesn't seem to offer a whole lot of activities itself. The real attraction is the surrounding environment, including Grandfather Mountain and other beauties of the NC mountain country. It looks like there must be pretty decent skiing in the winter and definitely wonderful hiking and/or motoring in the spring, summer and fall. There was a good selection of restaurants in the vicinity (we ate a a terrific tapas restaurant).

The Azalea Inn was a beautifully maintained B&B. We stayed in the Ivy Room and our friends in the Magnolia Room, both on the second floor in the main building of the B&B. Both rooms were comfortable and well-appointed, but (thankfully) not overly frilly. There were two large, comfortable common living rooms on the first floor for guests, and an enclosed wrap-around porch area for breakfast or for relaxing in the afternoon.

Breakfast was a nicely prepared meal -- in our case, a selection of different quiches, along with homemade muffins.

Greg and Amy are now running the Azalea Inn. They are fresh faces in this B&B and were totally delightful. They've taken over the operation, although I believe that the former innkeepers are still the owners.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
#1 of 2 in Beech Mountain
Taylor House Inn
Taylor House Inn
#3 of 6 in Valle Crucis

Been to Azalea Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!