We spent the weekend at the Balsam Mountain Inn and thoroughly enjoyed a special feature called Songwriters in the Round. There were 3 featured song writers and for $45/person there was a buffet which was fairly average- prime rib, green beans and the more unusual shrimp and grits. But the music was great and the musicians were very approachable during the break.
We were on the 3rd floor of the inn. It is the first time that I have stayed at this type of inn- a 100+ year old restored hotel . The room was small with a large comfortable king bed. Our view from the window was another building- it was very chilly at night but of course it was February in the mountains! The walls are very thin and you can easily hear conversations going on in the rooms on either side. Unfortunately there was a unhappy baby who cried on and off during the night. A sound machine might have been helpful. We could hear anytime someone walked down the hall and some of the visitors this weekend had very heavy footsteps.
The location of the inn is beautiful and we were fortunate to have snow while there. There are many small towns nearby with local artisans featured in many of the shops.
Overall enjoyed our visit but will probably not stay there again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Read, rest, ramble and romp at the Balsam Mountain Inn! Nestled among lofty Smoky Mountain peaks just off the Blue Ridge Parkway, the Balsam Mountain Inn was completed in 1908 to serve the highest railway depot in the east. Restored in 1991, the inn now welcomes travelers with 50 cheerful rooms, rocker-filled porches, a fine library and gracious dining. Plump pillows and soft comforters inspire pleasant dreams! In December, 2011, the Inn came once again to be owned by Merrily Teasley, the innkeeper who restored the structure two decades ago. An experienced rescuer of wonderful buildings, Teasley bought the derelict inn in 1990, and her certified rehabilitation effort helped the inn – already on the National Historic Register – experience a rebirth. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity and Hotwire so you can book your Balsam Mountain Inn & Restaurant reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Balsam Mountain Inn & Restaurant Hotel Balsam
- Balsam Mountain Inn And Restaurant