“Depends on what your are looking for” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Balsam Mountain Inn & Restaurant

Balsam Mountain Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Balsam B&B and Inns
North Carolina
“Depends on what your are looking for”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

We really enjoyed the Mountain Inn and Restaurant. We did our homework before the trip and we knew what to expect. I was kind of concerned about no A/C during the August but it was okay. The Inn is 3500 ft above sea level. The high temp during the day was about 80 and at night it got down in the lower 60s. (good sleeping weather) I thought It would have a tough time with no TV but it was not bad at all. Really got to spend some quality time with my wife of 42 years. The staff were super and so was everyone else. Because of the location with no TV and no WiFi, everyone was in a slow down mood and very friendly. The Restaurant was super. Good service and good food. As long as you know what you are getting into, I recommend it. Oh yea, the floors were some times creaky. For me, it just added to the atmosphere to his 105 year old Inn. We will be going back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JMcLauchlin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Hilton Head, Sc
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

We just departed from a 2 night stay at the Balsam Mountain inn. It is set on a large hill just off the Blue Ridge parkway. Loved the beautiful balsam fir in the front yard. The porches with the rocking chairs and the library were favorite places to relax. All of the staff was quite pleasant. Had a small gift shop where we bought souvenirs stuffed animals for our young girls. We stayed in a double room, small but cozy. We were not expecting luxury but peace from the mountains. Overall very pleased and would return. Maybe one winter...bet its a great place for sledding!
Also the breakfasts both days were very good. Ate dinner there one night as well. We had the trout and it was simple but good. The service was very good at the restaurant.
I would recommend this inn for someone who wants to take in the beauty of the mountains in an old historical house.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank spagurrl
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

I went to the inn for the weekend and was a little concerned from some of the recent reviews. I decided to bite the bullet and go. I am glad I did. The inn is beautiful, old and charming. The staff was pleasant enough when I checked in. They were not overly cheerful but they were smiling. There is an elevator in the inn which was nice since I had a heavy bag and two kids with me. The room is spacious enough. There were two queen sized beds, small night stand, dresser and two chairs with extra shelving above one of the chairs with towels. There was ceiling fan and also window fan to keep the room cool. When we drove up on friday the weather wasn't too hot so the room was cool when we walked in. The bathroom is tiny...so if your a tall man or large sized person it may be difficult to move around in the shower. Just beware of this--they do have communal baths on the floors for this purpose I guess but I never checked it out. The views are beautiful, and the inn is very charming. It is old and you can tell that by looking around. It is quiet, there is a library with all types of books, puzzles to put to put together or just sit on the porch. The atmosphere did not bother me because I grew up in the country where we sat on the porch and enjoyed each other's company. I had no problem without the air conditioning because it got very cool at night. Parking was crowded because they had sold out each night I was there but not horrible. I really enjoyed the time there because my son, niece and best friend were with me. We did sit on the porch, drank wine, watched the fireflies and laughed. I really enjoyed myself. The breakfast was good too, had the french toast with bacon & fruit. There was also a table with granola, fresh fruit and yogurt. I did see people taking coffee / food to their rooms and there wasn't any problems that I noticed when the patrons made this request. The floors do make creaking noises when you walk but not to the point is is disturbing. There are arts / crafts throughout from local artist to enjoy. The bed was ok and I had no problem sleeping but then again we were out doing stuff so by bedtime we were pretty tired. My son didn't like the pillows too much. The room was clean, the shower stall appeared dirty (tile) but I think its just age. I agree with others --its not a place to go if your looking for luxury. If you want quiet, quaint and relaxing this is it. I really enjoyed myself but then again, I am a mom, wife, full time student and work full time so maybe a I can appreciate the slow pace a lot more than someone who doesn't know how to relax lol...If you go with your kids just remember no ac, no tv, no phone in the rooms...so you have no other choice but to talk to one another...I would definitely go back...

Room Tip: We stayed in room 209 facing another building so no good view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank adnrn2006
Morrow, Ohio, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

Fun little Inn. No AC, no internet and no TV. But the NC breezes, shade and fresh air were wonderful. The food is out of this world!!!! The beds are VERY comfortable. Bathrooms are small and just the simple basics. Have an open mind and it could be a very quiet and relaxing weekend.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lauren M
Hammond, Indiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

Looked beautiful driving up but the grounds were actually rather small. We never found any walking trails, just the driving path that circled the place. The furniture throughout was old, ratty and uncomfortable, not at all charming. The staff was neither friendly nor unfriendly. Loads of decades old jigsaw puzzles if you like that sort of thing. The library was uninspiring. Dinner was good enough. The bed pillows were quite odd and very,very heavy as though they were filled with sand or something. All the charm was in the lack of air conditioning, no television, and the rockers on the porch. At half the price, probably a pleasant get-away but there's no justification given its current state.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room with windows on two sides for a cross breeze.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Toby3434
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

It DOES take a particular kind of traveler to appreciate the qualities of an experience like this. If you are kind of adventurous, slightly open minded, seek new experiences and enjoy taking it slow then you should give it a chance. We have stayed at far more remote inns with no TV nor WI-FI and where phones are not permitted, so the Balsam didn't feel as extreme. I was disappointed upon arrival because the hotel appeared shabby and hot. Since I had pre-purchased through Groupon, I had no choice but tho give it a chance. I'm glad I did. The heat was no problem because the temp falls to the 60's at night and with a window fan it actually got too cold in the room. The "shabbiness", in the other hand, grows on you... I ended up recognizing the romance in it (my husband appreciated that). Breakfast was OK although it's true that the options are limited, but in this accommodation format you have to be flexible. Just for the record, after talking to friendly server Melissa about the possibility to get breakfast to go (we are very early risers) she agreed quickly, although we ended up not needing this service. There were a lot of older guests, as expected, but I was pleasantly surprised to see several families with young children who seemed to be thoroughly enjoying themselves. Our last night at the inn we bough liquor at a nearby store and went off to quietly watch fireflies from the second floor porch, while sipping our drinks... it was kind of magical.

If you are the standard issue tourist, entitled to modern comforts and with a cookie cutter mentality, please stick to a comfortable, cookie cutter, standard issue hotel and save yourself and others the inconvenience.

Room Tip: We read that the floor creaks so requested a room in the third floor and slept nicely.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Roadrunn
Waynesville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

This heavenly Inn cradled amongst the peaks and valley's of the Appalachian mtns holds more charm and character than one can imagine. The rekindling of southern culture and cuisine is indeed becoming one of these most sought after experiences one can have. If you are an experienced travel with a taste for historical architecture and traditional yet innovative culinary dishes, the Balsam Mtn Inn will indeed do more than impress. Having had read previous posts my interest and passion for the Inn have increased! The owner and her staff are more than distinguished in their personalities and charm. As my stay unfolded it was clear that they were more than employees, they were in fact a family. A collection of artisans, entrepreneurs, good souls, and friends who are keeping the home fires of the Smokies burning. That said, if you are the type of traveller who enjoys mindfully indulging your pallet, one who takes an interest in history, and who has a degree of manners, you will for sure appreciate what these folks have to offer.

Room Tip: Go big or go home! The suits are amazing. Each level hosts a couple a balconies with stunning views...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank cody f
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balsam
BEST WESTERN Smoky Mountain Inn
#7 of 19 in Waynesville
Jonathan Creek Inn and Villas
Jonathan Creek Inn and Villas
#1 of 26 in Maggie Valley

Been to Balsam Mountain Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!