After our second day of meandering south on the Blue Ridge Parkway, forgetting to print the directions to the hotel and the GPS would not recognize Seven Springs Drive oh what to do except follow the railroad tracks and the signs to the Balsam Mountain Inn. Oh what a find it way. You have to love the short up the hill driveway after crossing the railroad tracks and finding a classic wooden three story hotel. Two floors of long porches with green rocking chairs greet you. Open the screen door the squeaks and you are into a large open lobby and sitting area. Step back in time and just enjoy the wood construction and what a grand place this was in the days of rail travel. It still is a wonderful stop in the days of the Automobile road trip. Our room was large, the bathroom was small, obviously a converted closet, the floor squeaked, the furniture was period, the bed very comfortable, and the 10 foot wide hallways were marvelous. And the restaurant, just great and I mean great. Do not miss it! The whole experience of this Inn is not to be missed especially if you love the history of this country…
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Read, rest, ramble and romp at the Balsam Mountain Inn! Nestled among lofty Smoky Mountain peaks just off the Blue Ridge Parkway, the Balsam Mountain Inn was completed in 1908 to serve the highest railway depot in the east. Restored in 1991, the inn now welcomes travelers with 50 cheerful rooms, rocker-filled porches, a fine library and gracious dining. Plump pillows and soft comforters inspire pleasant dreams! In December, 2011, the Inn came once again to be owned by Merrily Teasley, the innkeeper who restored the structure two decades ago. An experienced rescuer of wonderful buildings, Teasley bought the derelict inn in 1990, and her certified rehabilitation effort helped the inn – already on the National Historic Register – experience a rebirth. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Orbitz and Travelocity so you can book your Balsam Mountain Inn & Restaurant reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Balsam Mountain Inn & Restaurant Hotel Balsam
- Balsam Mountain Inn And Restaurant