“Shoals Club -Bald Head Island, Labor Day 2013 A GREAT WEEKEND!”
Review of The Shoals Club

The Shoals Club
Cuisines: American
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I have been to the Shoals Club many times since it opened and I just wanted to take a few minutes to convey what a great job the club staff did over the Labor day weekend celebrations.

There were three nights of food, drink, and music and we attended all three. Pulling off a single event like this including decorations, food for 500+ three nights, live music, and lots of partying guests is a challenge in itself. But to do it 3 nights in a row, and do it well - that's something to be proud of!

The food all 3 nights was excellent. Very different each night, with a unique theme 2 of those nights and the special favorites on Saturday night. Too many things to list them all individually but especially good was the Caribbean Chicken on Friday, the beef tenderloin on Saturday.

I wanted to mention a very special thanks to Tabitha, and Woody, club managers who helped us sort out a ticketing snafu, and who are very much responsible for pulling all of this off so well.

If you are on the island and have a chance to dine at the Shoals Club, you should go. The view is incredible with 270+ degree ocean & Cape Fear views. The atmosphere is one of understated sophistication- comfortable for a club-casual dinner with friends, or a more dressy romantic dinner for two if that's in your plan.

Service by the pool can be a bit slow at times, but I understand well the labor and logistics challenges of operating a restaurant on an island. Never once has it been totally unacceptable - and since I am always there on vacation it's just a good opportunity to relax & have another drink while we wait.

The food quality this year (2013) has been the best I can remember in the last 5 or 6 years. Cheers to the chef's who have moved up there into the drivers seat this year!

Whenever I go to the Bald Head, my stay never feels complete until I have had at least one good meal at the Shoals Club.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

We went for lunch, and it was so ridiculously understaffed that I ended up busing a table, walking over to the waitress stand and getting some menus and then sending one of the kids to track down a server. All in, we were there for 2 hours for mediocre and expensive food. I understand that this is a vacation town, but the management was clearly clueless. We had several conversations with the kids about "how hard it is to run a restaraunt." They had never seen anything like this.

1  Thank SL G
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Cost way to much for food that comes frozen and pre made. Spend your money somewhere else for "fine dining".

1  Thank gll3325
Reviewed August 1, 2013

the dining room is pretty but way overpriced for the quality of the food-as is everything on the Island-they do have to get it there I guess-but bring your wallet and don't get too excited! Pool is pretty and the service is nice.

1  Thank nickPhila
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Every year we spend a week on Bald Head Island, and have always had dinner at Shoals Club on our last evening on island. In the past, we have thoroughly enjoyed dinning there, given its beautiful location overlooking Cape Fear and its well prepared high-end cuisine. But not so this time. We immediately noticed that the previously extensive menu had been considerably truncated - only 8 appetizers (6 salad/vege offerings, 2 shellfish, and only 1 soup) and 10 entrees. However, the prices had risen: the appetizers ranged from $8-12, and the entrees ranged from $20-38 with a mean price of $27. We were then dismayed to find that over half of the dishes we ordered were amatuerishly prepared: the shrimp in the "grilled shrimp cocktail" were overcooked and dry; the blacked sea scallops were scorched and overlaid with coarsely shredded vegetables; and the flounder was too heavily breaded and accompanied by more shredded vegetables on a bed of bland, dry rice. On the other hand the CAB filet was better prepared and presented, as was a grouper special (which I wish I had ordered). Add in a round of drinks, some unremarkable desserts, and a tip, and the bill came to almost $300 (!!) - making this the most expensive average food I have ever eaten. What a disappointment!

2  Thank Drrock67