“Professionalism needed”
Review of Marsh Harbour Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bald Head Island
Marsh Harbour Inn
North Carolina
“Professionalism needed”
Reviewed July 1, 2009

My husband and I decided to stay a few extra days on the island after getting married the previous week on the island. We had no need for a large home to rent for the week. Our best and only option was the Marsh Harbour Inn. We thought our room was great and very private. Initially we were very pleased with the service as we were allowed to check out our golf cart early to utilize as our wedding day transportation. We were also allowed to place our overnight items in the room prior to check in. We had one of our guests pick up our cart to decorate it for transportation to the reception. She noticed the cart ran at a snails pace and returned it for a second cart with a bit of zip. The zip zapped as we drove to our reception and had to be picked up by a complete stranger in our wedding attire. Upon informing the front desk clerk we were ensured this would not happen again. Unfortunately we made it back three separate times either by leaving a stranded cart on the side of the road or having a friend follow us to ensure we could push the cart up the hill.
The same front desk clerk was notified at least three different times of our struggle and distress. I finally asked how she could help us make the situation right . We were informed we needed to plug in the golf cart. Which was an obvious insult and lack of professionalism.

We were not expecting a free room nor a huge discount. Perhaps some acknowledgement and concern as we tried to honeymoon. Instead we were offered a continental breakfast and lessons on how to plug in a golf cart. We both travel a fair amount for businesses and staying at the Hampton Inn in Southport would have exceeded our experience at the Marsh Harbour Inn on our honeymoon.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank NCtravelgirl_9

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed June 2, 2008

My family has visited Bald Head Island for years, and we enjoy BHI more than Hawaii, the Outer Banks, Charleston, Chincoteague, and any other beach venue we have visited. The only down side was we had no need to rent a large house at significant expense when we expected to spend most of our time at the beach, pool, playground or at the Bald Head island Club's amenities. When we learned that the Marsh Harbour Inn had a great waterfront location at the Marina, and was close to the beaches and the eateries, we decided to try it out. It was a great experience. It has a hearty breakfast to give your family a good start to the day and has an open and beachy atmosphere. Given gas prices these days this is the best vacation venue we have found within a 4 hour radius of Charlotte, North Carolina. Enjoy!

The Nason Family

Stayed April 2008
3 Thank AENSON
new jersey
Reviewed April 4, 2008

We stayed at the marsh harbour Inn for the first time, and had a wonderful experience. What beautiful views from the rooms private balconies. The rooms are done well, under renovation right now, but the staff is very accommodating. They are reopening in January totally renovated they said. In the meantime, the workers are designated in areas and don't work the weekends so as not to disturb the guests. Anyone who wants a nice, clean place to stay, try the Marsh HArbour.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank bart22
Raleigh NC
Reviewed March 3, 2008

We were visiting the island for a little getaway. My wife and I had a very pleasant experience at the Marsh Harbour Inn. The staff is very friendly and helpful. When you first step into the entrance foyer, you are welcomed by a warm greeting in a beautiful surrounding. The rooms are simple and clean and reminescent of a Nantucket hotel. Beaded board and antique pine floors add to the ambience. But, the location is what is so great. Located in the Harbour Village with astounding views of the Harbour, Ocean, River and Marsh. Their European breakfast buffet is a great way to start the day. We can't wait for our return to Bald Head, and we will certainly stay again at the Marsh harbour Inn. Please tell Pam, the Inn Keeper hello!

• Liked — Location, Views
  • Disliked — Golf Carts are a bit slow, but I guess they all are.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Islandboy2005
wilmington nc
Reviewed February 29, 2008

The Marsh Harbour Inn is one of the best places to stay on BHI. I had researched the other Inn and some smaller cottages. The owners have rennovated many of the rooms and suites, in fact now they are selling them as fractional ownership. What a great price point to get into on Bald Head Island. The innkeeper was great and everyone was extremely friendly. The rooms were well kept, simple and spotless. Breakfast was wonderful. If you are staying on BHI, I would recommend the Marsh Harbour Inn. I will certainly be back.

Stayed January 2008
3 Thank jojo1980ilm
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 7, 2005

I spent a long weekend on Bald Head Island as part of a wedding. The island itself is an amazing escape from reality - the pace of life on the island is tranquil and slow.

Unfortunately, there are few places to stay on the Island and I have to say that the Marsh Harbour Inn, although a nice place to stay, missed. Perhaps the worst feature is the 10:30am check out time. This is incredibly early, especially considering that the goal is to have a lazy time on the island. This is not offset by an early check in - you cannot check in until 3:30pm. The only way to get around the island is by golf cart (which are essential if you are going to go all the way to the East Beach and the Shoal's Club - the best beach on the island). Since you have to turn in your cart by 10:30am, you either have to leave the island or rent a cart for $60 per day. In my opinion, the hotel is greatly short changing you on your last day there - this is especially of note given that the Inn is far from cheap (we paid $250 with a wedding discount). You are supposed to have access to beach towels, but when I inquired about these I was told that they were all gone and that we could not take the room towels to the beach. At the price of this Inn and its location, the response and reality are absolutely unacceptable. In addition, when I checked in the couple ahead of me were asking for recommendations on a place to buy a t-shirt and swim trunks since one of their suitcases missed a connection. I eventually learned that there are only 4 places to buy clothing on the island; the woman checking us all in just said "I don't know; I usually just come over to the island to work here." Again, this was an absolutely unacceptable response. I got a similar response when I asked for recommendations for a place to each lunch - I got a map that had all the restaurants on it without any information about what was offered at each location or how far they were from the Inn.

That said, the rooms are spacious, clean and very comfortable. The shower was ok - it had good pressure but came out in one stream not a typical shower spray. The breakfast was passable but not a home cooked item on the buffett. The carts are the slowest on the island and nearly can't make it up hills.

Overall, I greatly look forward to a return to Bald Head Island as it was prehaps one of the most relaxing weekends I've ever had. I would never return to the Marsh Harbour Inn. The bride and groom rented a house for $200 next to the Inn which was more spacious and cute than anything the Inn offered. Their cart was faster and cleaner than ours and they were allowed a late departure of 1pm! In all, there is no excuse for the poor service provided at the Marsh Harbour Inn. I would recommend looking into other options.

• Stayed August 2005
12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Connecticut
Reviewed August 6, 2005

We stayed at the Marsh Harbour Inn on Bald Head Island for 5 nights in August 2005. The staff was very nice and the inn was very attractive but we had a few problems that made us question if we should have asked for some type of refund. They were doing a renovation to a room above ours and when I got out of the shower on the first morning there were several men on the porch of our room moving supplies up over the porch and into the room next door. The following morning, they began work on the room at 6:30 in the morning and the extremely loud noise woke us up. One of the inn keepers promised it wouldn't happen again, but the next morning there was a lot of noisy walking around before 7:00. Other problems existed that you wouldn't expect from a reputable establishment. Many of the electrical outlets in the room did not work. We were not able to use the alarm clock and the light on the bedside table at the same time, so we had to put the clock on the floor across the room to access a working outlet. The shower was horrible - it just dribbled, did not spray. There was a huge patch in the wall that had not been painted. Birds spent a lot of time on the porch and they never cleaned up after them. I couldn't even stomach to go out there because it was hard to avoid stepping on the bird mess. The island was lovely and the rest of our family was staying in a rented home where we spent most of our time. In retrospect, we should have complained more but we felt we nagged them enough and hated to focus our vacation on complaining constantly when we actually spent such little time there. In all, they have to pay much more attention to detail because they are missing too many important points to justify their high price.

• Stayed August 2004
Golden Sands
Golden Sands
#2 of 19 in Carolina Beach
Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach

Been to Marsh Harbour Inn? Share your experiences!