“Quaint Inn with Amazing Views”
Review of Marsh Harbour Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bald Head Island
Marsh Harbour Inn
Raleigh, NC
“Quaint Inn with Amazing Views”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a couples trip to BHI in May. I found the staff at the Inn very easy to work with to make our reservation and the emails with the receipt and confirmation were timely and helpful. At check in, the Inn keeper showed us around and let us know about the downstairs, golf car and our room. We found the Inn to be clean and well-maintained. Our room had a gorgeous view of the harbour and the deck outside made it comfortable to go outdoors and relax and take in the fresh air and watch the ferry come and go. It also made for a beautiful setting as we watched the sun set. The room we stayed in was overall well maintained with nice linens and comfortable chairs/table/sofa etc. The bed mattress was extremely comfortable. We found it very convenient to have the breakfast served continental style in the morning so we could grab a bite when coming back from a walk on the beach or before heading out for a morning activity.
The reason this is not a 5 star for us is more for picky reasons. This is an excellent inn and I recommend it to anyone. But these upgrades/updates would make the Inn a 5 star for us.
1 - Make the breakfast more upscale. The coffee brewed was folgers and the creamers were a powder. These little things make a difference. Brew a higher quality coffee and set out creamers and items that help a customer customize their morning coffee. Maybe that does mean less selection but make the selection quality. Some of the food items were blah. The sausage biscuit was not a good quality and I am sure they could find better bagels to put out. I would even suggest one hot item to be served. Maybe a small batch of scrambled eggs or hot oatmeal prepared daily.
2 - This Inn does not recycle. That was pretty surprising to us. It is now 2013 and to see a business not take part in recycling is disappointing. Strategically place a few recycling bins in the dining area and a bin in each room and it could be taken care of.
3 - There could be a few updates made to our bathroom. I found the fixtures all extremely dusty yet a cleaning service came in each day. The bathroom has great water pressure but the shower head was basic. Again, just this little upgrade to a more deluxe shower head can make a difference in feeling like you are staying at a classier inn.

We will definitely consider the Inn again for any trips we make to BHI. But these little updates would take the Inn from a 4 star to a 5 for us in no time. All staff was courteous and helpful and we always felt safe on the property. Just taking a leisurely walk from the Inn to look at the houses nearby or to walk to dinner was such a nice treat too.

Room Tip: If you can splurge for a room on the 3rd floor - the views are spectacular. Or we found just having...
1 Thank JosieMarty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Beverly, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights mid week for a wedding. Bald Head is expensive to stay, but we found a living social deal for, well, slightly less expensive. My first experience was when booking. We were hoping that since it was a Tuesday/Wednesday stay in early May that they may offer us the discounted rate for a 3rd night. No deal. So when we arrived, Patty was on duty. She was great. She was nice, friendly and seemingly down to earth. Check in went well. The room was spacious and clean. The drawback was that our porch was shared, so we pretty much kept the curtains shut the whole time, which defeated the purpose of the marina view. Another drawback was that the water was shut off the first full day we were there from 9am-1pm. This was the village, not them and, I understand they had no control over that. But, it was still irritating that I couldn't brush my teeth, or flush the toilet when I got up in the morning. We had been at a wedding, so no, we did not spring out of bed at 8am to wash up. $150 a night and I can't flush the toilet. The thing that really stands out for me about this inn was the day we left. We ended up staying in a house rental with some friends for an extra night and asked them to pick us up at 10am. I went to go grab a bagel from the "breakfast" they offer, which is not breakfast. The offerings are better at a chain hotel. Anyway, they lead you to believe that you have "complete access" to their "chef's kitchen". Yet when I walked into the kitchen, the woman (Jo?) rudely approached me and asked me what I was doing in there. Spread out on the counter were the bagels and waffles under plastic wrap. I indicated that I was going to have a bagel, to which I was chastised like a child that I had missed breakfast, which ended at 9:30am. I apologized, and explained that I had been under the impression breakfast was until 10am. Instead of telling me it was not a problem and to grab a bagel, she repeated that I had missed breakfast. She then halfheartedly offered me a bagel from a tupperware container she had stashed away. Seriously, this thing was a stale previously frozen lenders bagel. I took it and toasted it, simply because I was hungry and felt entitled to it. If you buy the stuff for guests, what is the big deal for a guest to eat it?? Why does it matter what time it is?? Quality of the breakfast aside, the attitude was unnecessary. How about a smile and how can I help you? Honestly, for what you get you are much better off renting a house and paying the extra $50 a night for a one or two bedroom rental. You can find them, I was awaiting a contract from one when the living social deal came out. I wish I had passed and just rented. Then I got home and took a look at the original deal I purchased to refresh my memory. They were actually supposed to provide wine and cheese and did not.

Room Tip: Rent a house and spend a few buck extra. Or, upgrade to a kitchenette so that you don't have to...
4 Thank Rachelle G
Hanover, Maryland
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Outstanding property with wonderful, helpful hosts. We had two rooms and both had balconies and excellent views of the marsh. Breakfast was continental and included lots of fresh fruit. Coffee was premium and available all day.

Room Tip: Ask hosts to help you select a room with the best balcony and view.
asheville,nc
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I have always wanted to go to bald head island and finally got the chance. Unfortunately I was not that impressed with the island itself (it caters to the "exclusive") which I don't particularly care for. I went in Feb and it was REAL quiet! I cannot imagine what it is like in the summer. They said it is usually packed. The inn itself is a beautiful property, very clean and comfortable. I had a HUGH room upstairs with excellent views. The innkeeper was wonderful and so accommodating! She asked what I wanted for breakfast and what time. Tea/coffee was out all day long. I had my own golf cart which was fun but it was so cold when I was there. Not many places to eat on the island. You have to take a ferry over from southport to get here. That cost 25 bucks round trip and then some tips for luggage handling. They have tubs you can buy to put stuff in and take over. You get to keep the tub. I drove around the island for 2 days (didn't take long) and just spent time photographing the sunset and such. Not much to do on the island. Went to the marina cafe for supper during super bowl evening. Very laid back. Houses and complexes all around the place. Doubt I will ever go back. Just not my "style" but I will say the inn was pleasant. Expect to have some moolaa if staying on this island. I had a special value certificate that I used to stay.

Room Tip: You can hear people talking downstairs if you have the room above over the entrance/check in area.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank gypsyiam
miami
Reviewed November 17, 2012

My husband and I loved this wonderful Inn on the Island. The location to the Marina was fantastic. The views of the marsh and the sunsets were magnificent.
The Inn was extremely clean and well decorated. The breakfast was delicious and the golf cart fun. WE could not say enough about Jo who was very warm, friendly and helpful.
We loved this place and highly recommend on your next visit.
June and Harry Pasquier of Miami

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank landingmiami
Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

Quite simply perfect! Clean, quiet room, breathtaking views, lovely breakfast, and fun in a golf cart. What more can you ask for? We will definitely be back. Perfect time to go to Bald Head. Still warm but without the screaming kids.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Chris R
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 14, 2012

If you truly want to get away from it all...and relax...this is the place to come to. The team at Marsh Harbour Inn make you so comfortable. You get a golf cart with your room to get around the island. Public access beaches are all over to easily get to. The breakfast is just filling.

Getting here is so easy from Southport, NC. Book a ferry and you are to the island in less than 30 minutes. Recommend to buy day passes at the Bald Head Island Club for the pool and golf. Mojo's is your only dining option otherwise. (But see my review, we loved Mojo's).

Room Tip: If you are a quiet sleeper, don't ask for Room 4. It is up one level, but you may be too close...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#2 of 5 in Southport
Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach

Been to Marsh Harbour Inn? Share your experiences!