“Beautiful, friendly, peaceful place”

Bald Head Island Limited
Advance, North Carolina
“Beautiful, friendly, peaceful place”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

my husband & I just got back from Bald Head. This was our second trip there. We love it. The place is beautiful and unspoiled. If you are looking for all the commercialism of Myrtle Beach, don't come to Bald Head. There are things to do but it involves getting out and doing it. WE had so much fun bicycling, riding around in the golf cart, looking at the turtles, alligators, rare birds, etc. There is limited dining, but they have a wonderful market with a huge selection of great food and so you won't mind doing a little cooking. They have the Pelicatessen which has great food. There are a couple of other dining options. There are a couple of places to get ice cream. The beaches are beautiful and uncrowded. We love it and can't wait to go back. There is alot of history there also and it's very interesting. We hear there's good fishing but we haven't fished yet.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sukiedorsey

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Bald head island is a family friendly remote island off the coast of Wilmington NC. It is only a short ferry ride from Southport NC. You cruise around on golf carts or bikes or walk. Taking traffic out of the picture allows everyone to relax and get on what they call turtle time. It is a sea turtle sanctuary. And you might see a sea turtle nest or a boil (hatching) if you come in the summer.
Yes, the previouls review is correct there is not much to do besides the beach, pool and country club. If you are looking for a party don't come here, but if you are looking for peace and quiet it is perfect.
The service does seem to be on turtle time too. But I've had that happen on just about every island I have been on from Hawaii to the caribbean. So relax and chill out.

Room Tip: Mostly VRBO private rentals. Several different areas to chose from. We like East Beach.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank irishwanderlust
Reviewed September 27, 2011

My husband & I stayed in the royal James landing community, about 3 mins from the east beach; the house was inviting & comfortable. They had it all- cooking supplies, flash lights, games, tons of linens, towels, ironing board, blow dryers, etc...

Loved our stay, loved the house, rode bikes, walked the beaches, explored light house, and hiked around the woods too. Can't wait to return to bald head island!

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank aathans
North Carolina
Reviewed September 17, 2011

Second visit to Bald Head Island to play golf for the day (9/16/11). The golf course is a nice layout and was in very good condition. The island is isolated, and there's not much to do except golf, swim or walk/cart around. Very limited dining options. I agree with other reviews stating the staff is absolutely usless. They literally go out of their way to be no help at all. Some are downright rude. Better to eat in Southport where the ferry docks. No Southern Hospitality on Bald Head Island.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
14 Thank Shivas_8
Reviewed August 15, 2011

There was absolutely NO customer service, interest in avcomidating or even assisting my family on the island with accommodations at all, in anyway. It was as if no one cared at all. I do not know how any single person employed on the island has s job.

• Stayed August 2011
14 Thank Turtlefriend
La Jolla, California
Reviewed June 26, 2011

RENTAL:
We stayed in Villa #47 booked through Bald Head Island limited. We found our villas to perfectly fit our needs int erms of location and accomodations. We were on the island for a wedding. We enjoyed swimming at the Shoals pool and the BHI club pool and tooling around the island in a golf cart.

BHI limited is the main rental compant though there are about three others and VRBO. The nice thing about BHI limited is the arrial dpearture process was pretty effecitent, as they have areal estate office in the Deep Point Marina. The weakness of BHI limited is they don't always answer the phones, and I really had a lot of questions, being a first time visitor.

TRANSPORTATION:
When you book your rental you get a ferry time (which is really a tram reservation for transport on the island) and you get a departure time. -We were on the 3pm Ferry from deep point marina, checked in/dropped luggage at 2pm and picked up keys at the real estate office.

For departure we were on the 11am ferry. We put our luggage curbside at 10 am and the driver knocked on our door at 1030 to take us to the Ferry. I mention these details, because I was so confused how this was going to work. We parked in Deep Point Marina lot and paid $10/day.

FOOD:

Shoals club, my husband said his burger was just a frozen patty and okay, I had a lava flow which was pretty good for a poolside drink

Pelicatessen: drip coffee only, fine, limited pastry selection

Maritime Market Cafe: Our favourite food on the island hands down. It is attached to the grocery store. We had ymmy morning coffee with fresh banana bread. For lunch I loved their grilled chicken sandwhich with homemade potato chips or fruit cup. My husband had the pulled pork sandwich and a girlfriend had the chicken wrap. Both were really good. I don't know if you'll find better food on the island.

Bald Head Island Club: We had dinner in the main dining, room, I forget what it's called. I had the wedge salad, shrimp cocktail and prime rib. All were really good. However the other three people in my party all had issues with their entrees. First one had medium well steak instead of medium rare but the comped her dinner and gave her a glass of wine. The second ordered Salmo but was given Mahi Mahi, she decided to not say anyting. We shared teh brownie sundae which was pretty good but how could that be messed up.

We also had dinner for the wedding at the BHI club and I thought the appetizers and entree (I had the filet mignon) were really good. The staff was really warm and we had a lot of interaction with them, because it was a small wedding.

BHI poolside: $1.50 beers....need I say more.

AIRPORT:
we were suppose to fly into Wilmington but our flight was canceled and Delta couln't confirm a flight for us until 2 days later so we drove from Atlanta--yikes. Other airporst would be Myrtle Beach, Fayetville or Raleigh Durham. Any way you slice it, getting to Bald Head Island is tough if you're not in driving distance.

SPA:
We got pedicures at the spa next to the Maritime market. The front desk staff was lovely, but the cost of $55 and the grumpiness of our nail lady (Ann Arroyo) would prevent me from returning.

We had a great time, and it was a beautiful place to be married. The lack of cars added to the charm. The hassle and expense of travel, make it unlikely we will return, but if I lived in a driveable distance, I wouldn't hesitate to return.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank solomentehawaii
Greenville, SC
Reviewed July 22, 2010

This was our second visit to BHI in 9 years, while the natural beauty of the island is obvious-there are many shortcomings. Most of these complaints could have been identified ahead of time but when I go to an expensive island, I tend to take certain things for granted.

The dining options are basically limited to three places: two very expensive country club atmosphere types and a gross raw bar. We expected to be able to buy fresh shrimp and fish to cook at the house (after all, it is the Carolina beach)-NO DICE, NOT FOR SALE ANYWHERE. The below average grocery store had frozen shimp from South America. For any fresh seafood, a return 40 minute rid on the ferry would have been require. We brought two geat meals, ate at the lame raw bar twice and had frozen food twice.

Even with temporary memberships to the BHI Club, golf was $130-late in the afternoon. I am a casual player but enjoy playing a round once in a while. Most places like Hilton Head offer very nice discounts late in the afternoon. I am a big tennis player and was hoping there tennis center could have good matchmaking and clinics. The tennis staff was rude when I walked in and did not seem in any hurry to accomodate me.

The highs of the island are the natural beauty. We saw a fox on the beach looking for turtle eggs. Kayaking is great as well as crabbing and fishing, things move slow here-no cars, all golf carts.

The houses are very expensive, ours was $3800 for a 3 bedroom in the forest for the week.

We much prefer the amenities of a place like Hilton Head.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
#1 of 5 in Southport
Hampton Inn & Suites Carolina Beach Oceanfront
Courtyard by Marriott Carolina Beach
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Southport - Oak Island Area

Been to Bald Head Island Limited? Share your experiences!