“Got to get the Beef on Wick or anything else on menu” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 12 Restaurants in Youngstown
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Dining on a budget, Bar scene, Families with children, Kids
Georgia I95 @ I16
“Got to get the Beef on Wick or anything else on menu”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

I return to Youngstown two times a year. That is in the fall to pick up my parents and in the spring to bring them back. Each time I spend what little time there traveling to my "Go to" places. Ray's is one of them!

I get the Beef on Wick every time. The beef is cooked just right, piled high, hot, and never a bit of fat to chew through. What goes with a great B.O.W. is a great horseradish. You'll find that there as well. Put as much of it on as you care but beware, it will take your breath away.

My guest order the hot roast beef off the daily specials and it was enough food to feed two people. There were no complaints coming from the other side of the table as the fork went from the plate to the mouth.

I have read some of the other reviews on this restaurant and guess there was a bad day or something but I can honestly say that I have not been there on a one of those.

Try one of their beers on tap. I had the Labatt's Blue and it came out in a frosted mug and the beer was as cold as the frost was. Perfect. The baby size 12 oz. mugs makes for a quick drink but it will leave no time for it to get warm!

Ray's is only 5 minutes outside of the village of Youngstown. The drive will take you along Lake Ontario and passing the beautiful homes and views of the lake will make you want to pass it just to see more.

The inside of the restaurant is a mix of tavern and dining room. Nicely separated and decorated, you will feel like you they will call you by your name when you walk in. There just doesn't seem to be a stranger at Ray's.

If you read my reviews, you will know that I don't hold back when it comes to the good or the bad. Ray's gets it right.

Surprise yourself, nicely! Try it. You will be glad you did.

The other important point of a review......cost is very reasonable. To me, that equates to a dinner less than $15.00 per person.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank poolerga

Ransomville, New York
“You better call to reserve a table even though its a hole in the wall.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

Sorry ,never got to actually eat there, had a few drinks and waited and waited. We waited over an hour and three quarters. Never again w/o reservations. Who would've thought a little bar req. reservations. My husband and his friends went on a off night and got right in. My husband had wings and said he'd had better.

Visited September 2012
Thomasville, Georgia
“Slow service and average food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012

Nothing special and our simple order took over 45 minutes to arrive. The best aspect of our meal was the low prices of our food. You get what you pay for, I guess. I wouldn't go back.

• Visited June 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Smiles4miles
Wilson, New York
“Whats with canned vegetables?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2011

In the middle of August I asked for Vegetables for a substitute for Potatoes. I was told todays vegies were string beans. Great I thought. Well I got canned cut string beans. Give me a break, In farm country in august you get canned vegetables. (not uncommon in these parts) What a shame.

• Visited August 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Calzie48900
“Where can you get a steak dinner for $5.85 that is good?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2011

At Rays. Steak is ok (get it rare)but everything else is good. Every Monday night they have the steak special.