“Good quiet fort to visit”

Fort Niagara State Park
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We stopped off to see this fort and it was well worth it. It has fantastic views from the redoubts. The exhibits are very nice and it's great to see archaeological digs going on at the fort. We got there when it opened at 9 am and beat in the bus loads of tourists and school children and it was very nice.

2  Thank onlyleigh

Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

This attractive fort is not far from Niagara Falls and a nice piece of war of 1812 history. It has a gatehouse which you can go up in and see the view of the fort's grounds. It located right where the Niagara river meets Lake Ontario. It has nice views of the water and gives a great insight into what 1812 fort life was like.

1  Thank 268Arthur
Reviewed April 14, 2013

My husband and I visited Fort Niagara and were not disappointed. The pamplet you recieve on entrance is more than enough to guide you through the fort. So much history - from the French to the British to the Americans.

I highly recommend this as a tourist attraction.

1  Thank mlang11
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I was in Rochester New York state over Christmas 2012 to visit my in-laws. My Father in law brought me to see Fort Niagara a military fort built in the late seventeenth century. The place was covered in snow which I thought added to the whole experience, being a history buff I immediately began exploring the fort. I met a young re-enactor named William who was dressed in a mid eighteenth century French marine uniform. William started his display by showing how a musket was loaded and then fired a volley, he went on to give an excellent presentation on the history of the fort, William remained around for photo's and to answer any questions the public wanted to ask. It was clear this young re-enactor loved what he does and this came across to everyone watching his living history display.
The buildings in the fort were great, showing the layout of all the cannons and the main officers building was rich in period furniture, crockery etc. You could almost imagine the soldiers sitting around a table smoking their pipes over a mug of warm wine and talking about some skirmish with the British. The preservation of the fort was excellent showing the history, from the first buildings to the later American civil war structures. I enjoyed the visitors centre and also the short film on the fort. I thought the view across the river was just great and I could understand why the fort was positioned where it now stands, its cannons would have an excellent range and clear line of sight. Being a visitor form another country I begin to gain a better understanding of how wild this frontier country was in the eighteenth century and what life was like for the common soldier both French, British and Native American Indian.
I would love to see Fort Niagara during the summer, especially during the Forth of July celebrations. So anyone in the area should go visit this great historical site.

1  Thank Seán S
Reviewed August 19, 2012

great sunset, fun in water fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words fifty words

1  Thank cache_n_out