“Step back in history 300 years”
Review of Old Fort Niagara

Old Fort Niagara
Book In Advance
More Info
$70.50*
and up
Niagara Dinner Cruise
More attraction details
Owner description: Old Fort Niagara is a living history site within close driving distance of Niagara Falls (both NY and Ontario) and Buffalo, NY, featuring original 18th-century stone buildings, built by the French and British, and daily interpretive programming that spans its three centuries of history. Open daily at 9 a.m. with ticket sales ending at 4:30 pm (ticket sales end at 6:30 pm in July and August).
Reviewed May 6, 2010

It was 78 degrees in Buffalo yesterday so I wanted to get out and enjoy the warm weather. My hotel had a brochure about this attraction so I decided to check it out. I got in my rental car and drove about 30 minutes north to Youngstown. I didn't know what to expect and was not prepared for what I was going to see. The Fort Niagara State Park is right on Lake Ontario (offering a clear view of Toronto). The scenery was so peaceful and beautiful. The price of admission is $9 for AAA members. Totally worth it! The visitors center has a giftshop and musuem. A short movie provides background information on the history of the Fort and the French and Indian War. The exhibits and displays are informative as well. It took me about 1 hour to view the fort and all 16 points of interest. I was amazed how well everything had been preserved or should I say restored. I really enjoyed it and I'm happy that I went on a weekday. There were only 10 other people there. I got there at 2:30 in the afternoon and stayed about 2 hours. If you're in the area and looking for something neat and interesting to do... this is it!

1  Thank Apryl J
There are newer reviews for Old Fort Niagara

Reviewed July 5, 2009

Spent part of a day at the fort earlier this week and I am surprised with all I learned while I was there. We missed the big 250th celebration by a few days but they were starting to set up the encampments and there were archeology students from Buffalo State Univ just finishing up a dig they had been doing for the past 5 weeks. What a beautiful place this is and if you really look, you can even see the city of Toronto across Lake Ontario. The original flag displayed in the museum there is a sight to see. Definitely worth the time and money if you are in the area.

Reviewed July 3, 2009

This was our first time visiting Old Fort Niagara. The scenery around it was beautiful, the people who worked there were friendly, informative and helpful. The self guided tour was good because we could look at our own pace. We would go again.

Reviewed July 21, 2008

This place is neat. As per their website :"The fort played an important role in the struggles of France, Great Britain, and the United States to control the Great Lakes region of North America, and also helped shape the destinies of the Iroquois (Six Nations) peoples and the nation of Canada.

First off, we used the Passport to the Falls discount booklet and this was one of the attractions in the booklet and I am glad we went.

You start off with a small museum area, followed by a movie explaining the history then a walking tour with a guide and then you are allowed to walk all around the grounds and explore as you choose.

They have people dressed up in period clothing interacting with the vistors. They will answer any questions you have and we asked many of them. They were always friendly and helpful.

It was a very interesting place to visit ; to touch what soldiers touched hundreds of years ago; to lay on their bunks or feel the cannons. It also is sad to know so many people died in battle there but there is no evidence of it. All that remains are the artifacts.

It's a very large area and you go up and down stairs and across fields, etc. We went on a very hot day and we brought water with us. There are bathrooms and a water fountain to drink from.

We recommend this place to anyone interested in history.

Here's the website :

1  Thank 1Mom2Kids
Reviewed July 18, 2008

Old Fort Niagara is really nice place, and only a few minutes from Niagara Falls. The fort is located at the end of the Niagara River, where it meets Lake Ontario. The fort costs $10 for an adult, but if you AAA you can get a dollar off.

There is a nice little visitor center, with many exhibits on the history if the fort. There is also a large American Flag from the War of 1812, which has been restored, and displayed in the back of the visitor center. There is also a gift shop, with a lot of nice things.

The fort has an interesting history, it was first built by the French, taken over by the British, and then the United States. There were several re enactors there on the day I was there. In the afternoon the fired a cannon.

When you get your ticket you will get a map and guide of the fort. There are about 15 stops in the fort. I enjoyed the French Castle the most, it is the oldest building in the Great Lakes region, built in the 1720's.

It takes a few hours to see the fort and the visitor center.

2  Thank TouristMD