“Not a good place for older kids or big Lego enthusiasts.”

LEGOLAND Discovery Center Westchester
Book In Advance
More Info
$19.98*
and up
LEGOLAND® Discovery Center Westchester Admission Ticket
Ranked #1 of 11 Fun & Games in Yonkers
More attraction details
Owner description: Jump into the biggest box of LEGO bricks ever! Over 3 million LEGO® bricks under one roof...-MINILAND - see your favorite New York landmarks!-Kingdom Quest - an interactive LEGO laser ride-4D Cinema - feel part of the story-Master Model Builder - learn LEGO secrets-Birthday parties, school workshops and a huge LEGO shop!Come and experience the ultimate family entertainment attraction for LEGO fans of all ages!
Queens, NY
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Not a good place for older kids or big Lego enthusiasts.”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Given the brand, Lego, I would expect more build areas for the kids. The main attraction was the large play structure where all the kids spent most of their time. I took my 7 year old and my 10 year there expecting more information about Lego (background, history, competitions, etc) as well as more area for creativity. (Isn't that what Lego represent). It was a bit pricey for the little that was offered.
Although we've been to Legoland, I did not have the expectation that it would be anything close to that caliber, however, having also been to the Lego KidFest event that travels around the country, my kids enjoyed that more than this Discovery Center. More challenges, build areas that explore one's creativity, both for children and adults.
At this place, we stretched our stay, but honestly, if there lines weren't too long, a family can get through it all in 2 hours.(depending if your kids are willing to leave the play structure.)
Good to visit once, but definitely not worth the annual pass if you are kids older than 6 or 7.

3 Thank Cmoyboy

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
new york
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Something to do with kids but not the best value”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My kids (4 and 2 yrs) love Legos so having this open near us had everyone excited. But while interesting, there is much to be desired. And unless you purchase an annual pass and use it a number of times, the attraction doesn't seem to be the best value in the area... especially since NYC is not that far and have some of the best attractions in the world.

The venue is small. The map that is online makes it seem this place is huge but it isn't really. So on a busy day, it can be overwhelming.

The first area that shows how legos are made is really small and not as fun and informative as it could be. It just does not seem to be laid out or organized as well as it should be. On a busy day it turns into a waiting space for the next area, the Kingdom Quest ride which is one of just two rides at this Lego Land. The Kingdom quest ride is basically just a cart that moves on a flat predetermined path while passengers use laser guns to shoot targets. Although it sounds somewhat bland, the ride was fun especially for the kids.

The next part is just an area of lego models of major landmarks in New York City. Its pretty impressive but I think the adults were more impressed that the kids as they can appreciate the workmanship.

After that, you enter a more open space that pretty much contains the rest of Legoland in one big area. This is where it can get chaotic on a busy day. Everything kind of turns into a free for all at this point. The lego racers area is pretty straight forward with and when its not busy can be fun to do.

The play place in the middle is basically a big fun park that is closed off to adults. Since only kids are allowed inside, kids above 6 or 7 have a blast but I would not dare put younger kids in there since its multilevel and the bigger kids can get rough. I saw a few young kids crying after getting inadvertently hit or bumped by older kids who were running around like crazy.

There is a play area for younger kids but its lame. A slide and an area with large soft building blocks is all that is there. Even my two year old got tired of it quick. I wish they had a couple or more things for younger kids in that area. Otherwise my local park becomes a better option for things my kids can play on. There is also an area adjacent that is for girls and has a karaoke area but we didn't spend any time there.

After that is the other of the two rides, Merlins Apprentice which is more like an amusement park ride. It is simple but fun for kids. Next to that is the 4D movie theater, which is great for all ages. It runs every 15 mins and is a good way to wind down the kids towards the end of your day. Very fun and I think the movie length is just the right amount so you can enjoy if before the 3D glasses start giving you a headache.

Finally there is a cafe and the exit that leads out to the lego store. I am not sure what i was actually expecting from the cafe but for a brand new attraction, I hoped for more. $4 generic pizza and hotdogs and other overpriced items were unappetizing to say the least. There are much better options for food in the Ridge Hill Mall or in the area and I'd recommend spending your money at the lego store. I dont know if the same cafe caters to the birthday parties there but that would be a disappointment.

All in all, I would recommend this attraction only if you have exhausted all other entertainment options in the area, looking for a new experience or if you plan on buying and annual pass and going often. I really wanted to like this place but there are so many things that are lacking that I cant whole heartedly give anything above three stars. Your experience may be different with older children and maybe they will make changes after getting the kinks out.

I would like to make a mention of the staff there. I think they were very courteous and really tried their best to make it an enjoyable experience for everyone. Their attitude towards guest probably saved me from giving this a lower rating and Im glad they employed some competent and patient people to deal with everyone.

3 Thank caliber9
LDCWestchester, Marketing Assitant at LEGOLAND Discovery Center Westchester, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for visiting LEGOLAND Discovery Center Westchester and thank you for your feedback! We definitely appreciate your input as we are constantly working to improve our guests' experience. We are very glad to hear that you had positive interactions with our staff! We hope to see you again soon!
West Hempstead, New York
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Great indoor playspace for kids who love Legos”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We visited during its first few weeks and I am sure that some of the kinks will work themselves out. We had a good time but there is much that could be improved.
When you first come in you go through a place where they describe how Legos are made and then you immediately get into a bottleneck line for a ride with seemingly no way to bypass. After the ride, you go through a really cool room that has huge lego models of NYC places, there are some interactive pieces that make it really cool. It would be much better if there were some labels to tell you what you were looking at.
After that you go into a big huge room that has the main attractions.

The climbing structure in the middle kept my 6yo daughter occupied for a while. I could see
some younger kids having a problem with so little supervision. Kids under 3 feet cannot enter this playspace. My 2.5yo boy loved the playspace for younger kids, called Duplo Village. As a parent I was disappointed that there wasn't more in the Duplo Village.

Along the perimeter are different things. There is a space to build and test race cars which my 6yo and 2.5 yo loved and the staff there were very helpful.

The area devoted to the Friends lined of Legos was very disappointing to my 6yo daughter. She was expecting to be able to build with 'Friends' Legos but it was only themed Friends without any legos.

The Merlin's ride was fun for my kids but the queuing needs some work to make it better.

All in all my kids liked it, but as a parent it could use some work.

1 Thank PaulHMA
LDCWestchester, Marketing Assistant at LEGOLAND Discovery Center Westchester, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for visiting LEGOLAND Discovery Center Westchester! Thank you for feedback as all of our customer's feedback is extremely important to us. We are glad that your kids enjoyed their visit and we appreciate your understanding as we continue to work out the kinks after our grand opening. We hope to see you again soon!
walden, NY
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Opening week visit: kids had a blast, but very crowded”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We visited Legoland Discovery Center on 3/29/13, which was the first week it opened. We went in a group. The kids enjoyed themselves immensely, the adults were more frazzled.I'll break the visit down into pros and cons:

Pros:
All staff members were extremely courteous, friendly, and helpful
Kids loved the playground jungle gym feature, and the build-your-own racecar feature
Coffee was delicious and inexpensive
Everything was clean
Gift shop has a large selection of unique Lego items with good price ranges. (Adult in the group loved the Lego Death Star kit).

Cons:
Waayyyyy, waaaayyyy too crowded. There were so many people in there that it was very difficult to even find a place to stand! To be honest though, we did go DURING spring break, and in opening week. So I guess the crowds were to be expected. The website said guests stay 2-3 hours. We were there about 5 hours. We didn't see any people leaving, there were long lines for each feature. If the crowds were minimal, your kid could have his fill of the park in 3 hours.
Food court options are pricey. Try the Greek restaurant outside the entrance, it was delicious with excellent service.
Poor supervision in the play structure. Big kids kept pushing smaller kids into the slide entrance at the top of the structure. I told my daughter to steer clear of the slide so she wouldnt get hurt.

I think most of these glitches will work themselves out with time. And the crowds will abate when the newness wears off. This is not really an amusement park, its more of an indoor play area, with a really cute gift shop. We'd come again on a midweek school day when there would be much fewer people. And I'd like to emphasize, the kids in our group truly enjoyed themselves.

So...wear comfortable shoes, get some coffee, get ready for kid happiness mayhem, and building block extravaganza!

Visited March 2013
LDCWestchester, Marketing Assistant at LEGOLAND Discovery Center Westchester, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you very much for visiting LEGOLAND Discovery Center Westchester! We appreciate your feedback and we are so glad to hear that your kids had a blast! We realize that there was a very large crowd the few days after our grand opening and we thank you for your understanding that we are working as quickly as possible to iron out the wrinkles and ensure that all of guests have a wonderful visit. We hope to see you again soon!