“One Night In Yonkers!”

Hampton Inn & Suites Yonkers
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Yonkers
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I was doing online research for hotels in the Yonkers/Westchester (NY) area for a weekend function when I came across the Hampton Inn and Suites. I have previously stayed at various Hampton Inn & Suites and have not had any complaints regarding the hotel chain and its services. I was a bit apprehensive and concerned wiith what I saw online, as far as customer reviews, regarding this specific location. But I am glad to say that our stay at this one was no different from the others.

We booked a room for a Friday night stay because we were attending a birthday party at a catering hall not too far from the hotel location. At first glance, the hotel reception, bar/restaurant, and lounge area were designed quite nicely. I am thinking that this hotel may be fairly new or renovated, but am not quite sure. As always, the place had a free hot complementary breakfast, a 24 hr Fitness Center, and a swimming pool. Upon arrival at the reception desk, we were greeted courteously and the desk clerk went ahead with processing our reservation. The room was clean and nicely arranged. The room also had a 32 inch flat screen TV and a spaceous bathroom. All in all, the accommodations were quite pleasant.

The only thing that was really not to our liking was the lack of a microwave oven and refrigerator in our room which, I believe, is standard now with most hotel chains. But it's disappointing when you are especially used to having these amenities included and do not get them in the major hotel chains like the Hampton Inn & Suites but find them at smaller ones.

Also, the room was not that expensive but it seemed like it specially when the tax and other "usual" charges are added on.

But all in all, the Hampton Inn & Suites Yonkers did not disappoint. I would recommend it to anyone looking to stay in the area.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn & Suites Yonkers

Reviewed September 28, 2012

I booked 7 nights at this hotel, and glad that I chose this one.

On arrival, first impressions were WOW. The Lobby was spotless and upmarket. We were great with smiles and very swiftly checked in to room 417 on the top floor.

When we got into the room, we were amazed at the cleanliness, spaciousness and overall first impression. The bathroom was huge and spotless. The bedding was fresh (not just the sheets, but the duvet and duvet covers). Bedding is changed every 4 days (unless you request it daily). Towels are changed on request (by leaving them on the floor). If you hang them up they don't get changed.

Coffee is available in the room, as is a large 40" flat screen TV, massive desk and 2 telephones.
Each room has it's own Wi-Fi as well as RJ45 cable for wired internet access.

The housekeeping service is second to none. Although we had to ask the housekeeper for some more creamer for the coffee as she hadn't left any one day. She didn't understand what we wanted, so rather then keep quiet, she reported to Guest Services that we had a problem, then Guest Services phoned us to check if everything was all-right or whether we still needed something else.

The breakfast every morning is above what we expected. Fresh fruit salad, cereal, oatmeal, fresh waffles, eggs, bacon, sausage, bagels, croissants, muffins and fresh toast.
Special mention must go to Eric and Carmen (two of the kitchen/breakfast staff) who showed an interest in all the guests, and took time to chat (and joke) with us - making the meal very enjoyable. Being English we had many a conversation with them about the differences between English and American terminology.

The hotel also offers complimentary small pool (although no changing rooms) and a small gym. Just use your room passkey to enter both.

Also as we were travelling into New York every day, we used the train service from the nearby Greystone Station. We always walked to the station (20 minutes downhill) but only once walked back (uphill). This took us 35 minutes. After the first time walking back we decided on using the complimentary shuttle bus service. As others have commented on, the service is not 100% reliable - although they did always turn up, just not on-time. However, we were not the only guests in the hotel, and the bus service is used by lots of people so you can't always expect to be collected at your chosen time. We found that if we phoned from Grand Central Station (40 minutes away by train) and told them we were due in to Greystone Station in 30 minutes time, we only had about 5 minutes to wait for the shuttle bus to arrive.

Some of the attractions in New York can be booked on-line usually about $5 cheaper too. However you have to print your own tickets. This wasn't a problem as you can use one of the 2 computers located adjacent to the lobby in the Business Suite to book your tickets and then print them off. Alternatively you can upload PDF's to a website (URL is in the welcome pack in your room) and then go down to the Business Suite and retrieve your PDF and print it out.

There are complimentary hot drinks available just near the main bar 24/7 and there are also some complimentary safety deposit boxes located behind the lobby in the main office. There is NO deposit charge for these either.

It is located in a Business area, and there are a couple of restaurants nearby (well within 10 minutes walking distance). We went to the Applebee's a couple of times (don't forget to ask for you 10% Golden Club Card for the over 60's) and also once to an American/Italian also nearby.

I cannot praise this hotel enough for making our whole trip more than enjoyable. On checking in, I noticed a sign which said "If you are not 100% satisfied with your visit, we don't expect you to pay"....... Whilst checking out, I commented to the staff that I had been trying to find fault so that I didn't have to pay, but unfortunately I couldn't!!

I will definitely be staying there again and would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: We were given room 417 on the top floor which faced the rear of the hotel and had no problems whatso...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Unclepips
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I do not recommend this hotel. It charged my credit card after I paid cash at the check out. It took more than a week to have the money back on my card. And only after I spoke to the manager 3 times. I do not recommend this hotel at all

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank cindyny2
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Was in a spot for a place to stay in the area, and the hotel was full. Manager worked this out for me. I was grateful. In addition, the hotel was clean, service was excellent, pool was beautifully kept, and hot coffee 24-7. Quiet location in a business area. Recommended.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 19, 2012

These people were full so they sent us to another hotel, gave us the wrong directions to the new hotel, didn't offer to pay for the first night for any inconvenience they caused us for moving us (which is what hotels to if they 'walk' you). The manager was EXTREMELY RUDE and never once apologized for walking us. Her manager wouldn't take our call. No one needs to be treated the way we were treated.

Room Tip: The Doubletree in Terrytown is older but a very nice place to stay
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Billie H
Reviewed September 18, 2012

My family stayed there overnight before going to the Bronx zoo. It's hidden away in an corporate office park. It is beautiful. This is the best Hampton Inn I've ever stayed in. The kids enjoyed the pool. There was a bar in the lobby for the adults. The staff was very helpful and polite. They upgraded us to a suite which was fantastic. At breakfast, we were repeatedly asked if there was anything that they could do for us. They brought drinks to the table for our kids before we had a chance to get them ourselves. The trip to the zoo was an easy 15-20 minute drive without much traffic in the morning. The only drawback was that there were no restaurants within walking distance. We had planned on going out for dinner but when we saw the room, we decided to order delivery and stay in the room watching movies and letting the kids play for the evening. My wife and I commented that we would go there just to spend a night again. And the price was great considering how close to the city we were. We would definitely (and probably will) stay there again.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 17, 2012

This hotel deserves an award. It's no different from any other clean hotel, BUT the staff are worth their weight in gold. I don't care if a hotel is elegant but I do want it to be clean and well run. This hotel is both. The hotel is in a buisiness area so there's no view; I don't go to a hotel for the view unless I'm at the beach. The breakfast was beyond the usual continental breakfast, including eggs and sausage. The breakfast staff were wonderful, friendly, helpful, and cheerful. Our fourth floor room was spacious, clean, and very quiet. No traffic noise there.The fitness room has state of the art treadmills and there is a nice small pool. To travel to the city, the hotel provides a shuttle bus to the train. The shuttle is a bit unreliable so schedule to give yourself extra arrival time to the train or drive there and park your car at the station. Buy your train tickets in advance, not on the train or you pay double. I'll be staying here again, this was a great hotel!! It is clean, safe, and beautiful. AND the staff are great!

Room Tip: The fourth floor room was very quiet. We had a suite and there was a lot of room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yonkers
Hampton Inn & Suites Yonkers - Westchester
Hyatt Place New York/Yonkers
Residence Inn by Marriott Yonkers Westchester County
Royal Regency Hotel
Royal Regency Hotel
#5 of 6 in Yonkers
Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson
Courtyard by Marriott Tarrytown Westchester County

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Yonkers? Share your experiences!