“Don't waste time looking elsewhere - stay here!”

The Woodstock Inn on the Millstream
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Woodstock
Zurich, Switzerland
“Don't waste time looking elsewhere - stay here!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2010

Had a look at a few places in Woodstock and, though not the cheapest certainly the most attractive, just off the main street in lovely grounds. Felt so comfortable there as the woman running the hotel (Karen) was excellent as was one of my neighbours, a Swedish woman who has been coming there for years. I also loved the buffet breakfast which starts late & finishes late - allowing for a nice relaxing run beforehand. Great selection of decent, healthy food. Two nights of relaxing bliss. I rented a bike at the local bike shop - top notch condition. Did some gorgeous cycling there with a few back-breaking hills (try the cycle up to Tannersville (via 23A) and then back down via Platt Clove Rd. - fabulous trip which neither you nor your legs will forget in a hurry!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
New Rochelle, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2010

This is an older motel, that has been modernized and upgraded to provide much comfort and atmosphere expected in the 21st century.

I do not know if all rooms have the same amenities. Our room had a warming (electric) fireplace, a kitchenette area with refrigerator/freezer, microwave/convection oven, hot plate, coffee pot (with coffee and tea), sink, pots/pans, dishes/flatware,mugs/glasses - for 2. There is a table for 2 in the room.

The bathroom has an oversize shower with 3 separate nozzles, including: spray, massage and overhead rain showers. Also, there is a whirlpool bath for 2.

The bed is king size and quite comfortable.

A wonderful continental breakfast is available in the dining area adjacent to the motel office from 9:00 AM until 11:00 AM. Fresh fruits are offered along with various cereals, granola, bagels, lox, cream cheese, butter, toast, pastries, coffee, tea, milk & soy milk. In warmer weather, you may gather your breakfast and go out to tables near the millstream and relax to the sound of the water cascading over the rocks below.

Free Wi-Fi is available in all of the rooms.

If you use Sprint as you cell phone service provider, you may have to use another provider's analog service. There is also a real pay telephone on the grounds, as well as a soft drink vending machine.

My wife and I especially enjoy visiting Woodstock in the Fall to enjoy the colors of Autumn while relaxing at this cozy motel. Be warned though - If you plan to visit during busy times, such as the Fall, make your reservations well in advance. There are also special events in Woodstock (art shows, a movie festival, concerts, etc.) that may make reservations difficult.

There are many quaint shops in town and restaurants are nearby too.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Holland Patent, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2010

We've been staying here for 20 + years for 3-4 nights each June. This is a tranqil quiet oasis on a babbling brook that shouldn't be missed if you are going to Woodstock. There are different size accomodations and we have stayed in all of them. Our family is grown, but staying here with our boys was a treat. The millstream is a fascinating place for kids to frolick and the free breakfast is a keeper. Granola, fruit, lox and bagels, oj, coffee...etc.... Karen, the Innkeeper, treats us like family and we have never been disappointed!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
bridgewater, nj
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2010

I don't know where these other people stayed, or perhaps the Innkeeper Karen was having an off week...but there was nothing charming about her demeanor. In fact, she was rude and aloof. The average breakfast was overshadowed by her oppressive mood and slovenly appearance. Ok , so it's Woodstock - but wash and comb her hair if you're serving food.
Paper plates and paper bowls? So much for saving the environment.
The rooms were very neat and clean. The grounds are lovely. Based upon the sour attitude of the Innkeeper, I would never return.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
4 Thank lunarspin
WoodstockInn, Manager at The Woodstock Inn on the Millstream, responded to this review, June 11, 2010
I am sorry that you were so disappointed with my service. I do apologize for having offended you with both my appearance and attitude. In my defense, I can only say that I am human, and I do have an off day on occasion. I will take your feedback as a constructive reminder going forward. I am glad you enjoyed your room and the beautiful grounds, and hope you'll give us another chance in the future.
NE PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2010

Room was a room. Small, but warm with nice heavy blankets. Clean.

Bonnie was delightful. Super helpful and knowledgeable.

Breakfast was continental but kick a**. Good bagels, lox, granola, fruit, yogurt, good coffee, and easy conversation.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
Brussels
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2009

I like the concept of a motel but they are almost always run down, cheap and totally unappealing. But this one is great! The owners did an excellent job remodeling it into a really comfy and cozy motel. I usually prefer high end boutique hotels and enjoyed this motel just as much. The location is in a residential part of Woodstock (close to town) and the stream is pretty and relaxing. The rooms are charming and the beds are warm and comfortable. Plus they've got real (NY) bagels for breakfast.
More people should renovate motels this way!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2009

I've never stayed in a motel. I love them, in movies. And I loved this place, and really, seriously, can't wait to go back.

The setting counted for a lot, and the white sweep of the rooms, against the green lawn where yellow leaves had fallen, was very picturesque. The larger lawn nearby runs to a broad stream, and one can walk along the stream into town. Adirondack chairs are scattered about, for sitting and thinking.

The rooms are small (there are larger ones, but we didn't see them), but impeccably clean, fresh and bright, furnished simply with a bureau for clothes, big comfortable bed with good white linen and quilt, and tiny walk-in closet. There is a Tv suspended from a corner of the ceiling, which was weird but great. We don't have a TV. Too much to do. In the small but retro bathroom (turquoise tiles and white tiles, which actually don't look like a car crash) touches like very fluffy white bath, hand and face towels and delicious- smelling organic lavender hands soap went a long way to making you feel like someone gave a damn. New, wrapped shower soaps are provided every day - oatmeal and lavender.

I loved having porch to sit on, and the shared old fridge at the end for storing one's drinks and ice. There are beautiful trees in the grounds and lots of squirrels and birds to watch.

Breakfast is in a sunny room, and is slightly over-sold and over-rated: I would not call it gourmet, even though smoked salmon makes an appearance. All plates and bowls are paper, and the coffee isn't well...I'm picky about coffee. Otherwise there are bagels of dubious vintage and a fruit bread that we saw out the days before, on the counter, even though Bread Alone has a shop in town. There was yoghurt and fruit, too, and Bonne Maman jams and butter. But it was fine, and we were not unhappy with it. I should travel with my espresso pot.

The place had what I can only call a good feel to it. Something like integrity. Hard to define. And, I think, quite rare. I would go back in a heartbeat and would like to see it and the town and woods nearby, in wintertime.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodstock
Hotel Dylan
Catskill Mountain Lodge
Catskill Mountain Lodge
#1 of 1 in Palenville
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kingston-Ulster

Been to The Woodstock Inn on the Millstream? Share your experiences!