“Loved it! Quaint, Comfortable and Convinient”

Twin Gables of Woodstock
Ranked #5 of 8 Woodstock B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Loved it! Quaint, Comfortable and Convinient”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

I stayed at Twin Gables over the Thanksgiving weekend and had a wonderful, relaxing time. When we arrived the fireplace was burning in the living room area. We were welcomed in, shown around and given the key that gave us access to our room as well as the front door for us to come and go as we pleased.
The room itself was adorable, furnished with well kept antiques and delicate floral wallpaper. There were, to my delight, no television sets or telephones. The room also had some wonderful photographs by a local artist that were available for purchase at a very affordable price.
Our room used the shared bathrooms that were right across the hall. The bathrooms were very clean, there were 2 full bathrooms and a toilet so we were usually able to go right in. Eco friendly shampoo, conditioner and soaps were provided as well as clean towels and a hair dryer.
It was very quiet, peaceful and cozy. The place somehow made me feel like a little girl staying at my grandmother's house. The owners and employees were available yet unimposing. We met some like minded guests that we really clicked with and had interesting conversations during breakfast and once in the evening by the fire.
The continental breakfast also exceeded my expectations. They had fresh fruit, including berries (my favorite), juice, yogurt, granola, muffins, coffee and tea. Being a tea lover, I was especially pleased with the tea selection (from a local tea shop), choice of soy milk or creams, and even honey sticks!
The location was perfect, right on the main street alongside many nice shops, art galleries and restaurants. I purchased many lovely hand crafted gifts while there. I found the locals to be friendly and helpful. Some strangers even greeted us like neighbors when we were walking around town.
My travel buddy could only stay one night but I stayed on for another two and even extended my own stay by one night.
I look forward to many happy returns! Thank you Twin Gables and Woodstock!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Isabelle R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

This was a really comfortable place to stay. We had a queen bed in our room and shared bathroom down the hall. There were three bathrooms, two with showers, and one was always available. The room was very spacious for two people. Everyone was very nice, and left us completely to ourselves. Fruit and muffins were available in the mornings, very informal, and guests ate in the living room area on couches- no central table, no sit-down with the owners. B & B is right in the center of town- very convenient.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Rockville Centre, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

I have stayed there for about a week each year for the past three years, and thoroughly enjoy the comfort and pleasant atmosphere both inside and outside the house. There is a screened gazebo in the back yard, and stone benches with lovely bushes to block the street if you sit in the front. Twin Gables is comfortable, clean and the staff are extremely helpful and friendly. And it was a great location as I could walk to everything in town. I recently stayed at Twin Gables with my two daughters to introduce them to Woodstock, and to visit the Farm Sanctuary, which is about a 20 minute drive away. Remember to book early to make sure the room you desire is available!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Patricia A
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

Family was gathering from out of town for a wedding in the area and I was looking for a place where all of us could stay. We booked eight of the ten rooms. It was wonderful to all be together in what felt like a home atmosphere. We hung out in the living room and played games, talked, joked. The staff was friendly.The rooms were lovely. The location was perfect. We could walk to restaurants, stores, swimming holes.
I highly recommend this B and B!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Marcia K
Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

This part of New York can be expensive, so we were happy to find a room at this B&B rather late in the game. Both the room and bathroom were large and clean. I also didn't mind that we had a continental breakfast rather than the hot breakfast many B&Bs offer--sometimes that is kinder to the waistline. I also appreciated the fact that there was parking just behind the building (only four spaces but we always found one open when we returned in the evening), that we were right in the middle of the town, and that coffee was available at all hours with actual milk in the fridge (not just those awful powders full of chemicals). So someone was obviously trying to make the guests happy.

However the decor in the room was really tired. (We were in a front room on the ground floor--I don't know if the other rooms were similar.) I felt like I was visiting a (very nice and very clean) elderly relative who had not updated anything for a long time. I have stayed in a lot of B&Bs over the years, and I enjoy that feeling of being spoiled a bit, like a special guest, and I missed it here. Here there was visible plumbing, painted plywood partitions to create some storage space, kind of cheap curtains over this storage space, badly painted wooden floors visible where the unattractive carpeting left it exposed. Some of these elements are probably compromises that were made to modernize an old building, but they felt jerry-rigged and badly done. This old house has lovely bones and when the owners have the available capital, they would do well to invest in a high-quality upgrade. But until then, it is still a comfortable and convenient place to spend the night.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

It was a pleasure to spend some days in this guest house. The staff is very welcoming and efficient, my room was cozy and the bathroom very clean. I particularly appreciated soy milk in the fridge, muffins, fresh fruits and plenty of towels. The location is on the high street but it's not noisy, I could hear crickets and cicadas all night long! There is air conditioning but I never felt the need the use it. Looking forward to see you next year!

• Stayed August 2013
Castro Valley
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

Twin Gables is a cozy bed and breakfast in the heart of Woodstock. Nice to park the car out front and walk the town for dinner and gallery hopping. We had the shared baths, but they were always available when needed. Nicely decorated, friendly staff, and includes continental breakfast.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stephen B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woodstock
The Woodstock Inn on the Millstream
#1 of 1 in Palenville
Residence Inn Kingston
Residence Inn Kingston
#4 of 10 in Kingston

Been to Twin Gables of Woodstock? Share your experiences!