“Service excellent”

Woodstock Pizza Theater
Ranked #11 of 39 Restaurants in Woodstock
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Woodstock Pizza Theater is an upscale, casual, restaurant featuring the best wood-fired, brick oven pizza available anywhere.
Reviewed August 3, 2014

The pizzas were good, but a little bland. Salt and pepper solved that. (Just for the record, I rarely use salt.) The individual sized pizzas can actually be shared by two light eaters, especially if you also share a salad or other app. I thought the prices were high. Other reviewers haven't mentioned this, but perhaps that's because they were up from NYC and, thus, used to higher prices? The restaurant was not busy when we were there, so I suspect not many locals eat here. I won't be back. We've had better tasting and cheaper pizzas elsewhere.

RickSofo, Owner at Woodstock Pizza Theater, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2014

Dear PreferCruising,
Thank you so much for your positive review! Re: the use of salt, we trust you will appreciate that (1) in order for our establishment to better cater to the broadest spectrum of customer tastes, and (2) in our interest/desire not to obscure the taste of our ultra-premium grade (hence more costly), fresh, unadulterated/natural and/or local ingredients, Rick's has opted to exercise greater restraint, re: the use of salt than happens to suit your particular preference, guided by the wisdom that it's such a clear/simple fix for the individual diner to add more, but impossible to remove. Moreover, in the interest of absolute fair play, insofar as you have cited, "Just for the record, I rarely use salt," Rick's would like to cite just for the record as well/greater public awareness, that you are the sole individual to ever opine that our pizza was "bland," prior to your addition of salt.

Reviewed July 7, 2014

The pizza was excellent but the waitress (the only one working that night) seemed like she was on another planet. She couldn't tell us how large the pizzas were (how many slices, etc.), making it difficult for us to figure out how many to order. She also should have informed me when I called to confirm my reservation that the restaurant does not have a liquor license. She also forgot to write down one of the three pizzas that we ordered. By the time we realized that she had forgotten it, we were too tired to wait for it to be baked.

RickSofo, Owner at Woodstock Pizza Theater, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

Dear Beth,
Thank you so much for your "Food great" review, but regarding "service could be improved," on behalf of myself and the entire staff of Rick's Wood-Fired, please accept our heartfelt apologies. No excuse, but purely as a matter of explanation, we plain and simply were caught short-handed, i.e, we failed to anticipate such a large turn-out on a Sunday night, and as such, we in fact did only have one server on duty at the time you were here. Rest assured, we will not make that mistake again, as we've now suddenly come to realize that our newly-opened establishment has in fact gained enough notoriety that we must be prepared to accommodate a greater volume of business.
Although we dearly wish it were so, we cannot take away what's already transpired. Please know however, that had your displeasure been conveyed to me at the time you were here, I would have made every attempt at making amends. It remains our sincere hope that you will consider giving us another chance by accepting my personal invitation of DINNER FOR 4 COMPLIMENTS OF THE HOUSE.
Respectfully Yours,
Rick

Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

I was staying at the B&B across the street and was dying to try it earlier in the day but they open at 5pm. So after the movie next door we ventured in - didn't expect it to be so gorgeous inside, the service was great, menu was extensive ... and they say individual size pizza but trust me - totally shareable ... plus the calzones are monstrous ... they don't have liquor license yet - in transition but the pizza was delicious - cute names, play on movie titles. Would definity go back!

1  Thank M K
RickSofo, Owner at Woodstock Pizza Theater, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2015

Thank you so much for taking the time to voice your support. It means so very much to us!

Reviewed June 30, 2014

Ricks opened next to Upstate Films in Woodstock with excellent wood-fired pizza. They are working with Dan Leader from Bread Alone to source great flour and even have gluten-free dough.

They are not cheap, but rate with the best pizza I've ever had.

Reviewed June 21, 2014

We had a delicious grilled eggplant wood fired pizza at Rick's! Very nice waitress and beautiful dining room.