“Nice meal”

Joshua's
Ranked #5 of 42 Restaurants in Woodstock
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Joshua's is the longest serving restaurant in Woodstock, feeding and delighting patrons with high-quality, healthy, delicious food for 44 years! We strive to use the freshest, locally sourced ingredients we can find. We look forward to being of service.
Reviewed February 23, 2019

This was a lovely place to go for a late lunch. The food was good and the service was attentive. I ordered something with artichoke hearts and the waitress brought it with asparagus instead. I never will send food back as a rule, who knew that asparagus was a great substitute!

Date of visit: February 2019

Reviewed January 27, 2019

The restaurant was pretty from the outside- it calls you in with all the twinkling lights and tree out front. It was my birthday and we were visiting Woodstock for the first time and having a birthday dinner. Joshua's looked very cool so we went in.

Unfortunately the restaurant does not offer gluten free beer on its menu- I asked the waitress about it and she informed me it was not an option. I took a look at the drink menu- I no longer drink wine because of acid reflux (I seem to trigger my acid with wine) and I'm not really big on mixed drinks but I searched the menu and found a mixed drink that had cucumber in it and ordered it. It was very tasty, and I enjoyed the drink.

We finally got around to them bringing the food and I ordered a second drink and the waitress told me that the drink was no longer available because they "closed the bar". It was only about 9pm, the entire restaurant was full of people on a Friday night, and plenty of other people were still drinking. I looked confused at the waitress and she said she did not feel like dealing with a bar so she "closed it". She said if I wanted a drink my only options were now beer and wine, and this was as she was fully aware of my issues with finding a drink. My waitress was the same waitress who cut off the mixed drinks. It seemed bizarre to me, that they would close the bar in the middle of a full, buzzing restaurant.

I felt the proper thing to do should have been to warn me that due to being too busy to keep up with the bar they were closing it early and would I like another drink before they close it. But that didn't happen. I drank water even though I would have preferred to have a second drink- and the drinks were not cheap, either, it was about $10 for the drink.

I wondered if the owner of the restaurant had any clue that my waitress was telling me at 9pm that I could not have another $10 drink. My gut feeling was- no. I also wasn't a fan of the waitress's aloof tone to me as I struggled to find a drink on the menu that my allergies and acid could handle, and it seemed rather lousy that she knew about my issues and closed the bar herself without asking me if I wanted another drink first. Because of this odd treatment about my drink from the waitress, I give 3 stars. Food was good, but I don't think the waitress treated me all that great at my birthday dinner, and it still sticks in my mind all these months later. I'm pretty forgiving- but, something was just off about being told I couldn't have another drink.

If you go to Joshua's, go early so you can drink without them cutting you off in the middle of your dinner.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed January 16, 2019

With most of the buzz in town going to the fancier spots, as a local I want to give a solid thumbs up for Joshua's. Their menu is thoughtfully diverse, the food well-prepared, and the service fast and friendly. That they have a full bar, world cuisine options, and great windows with a view on Tinker Street makes for a reliable, not super expensive experience.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed January 15, 2019

I have been going to this restaurant regularly for about 8 years, and it maintains the quality and variety I like. This place has meat, but it stars as a place to have a vegetarian meal that tastes good and is filling, all for a moderate price. And, there is a good bar service too.

Date of visit: January 2019
Reviewed January 3, 2019

We love the healthy and vegan options at Joshua's. Their food is always fabulous and it allows for options for all. In this case, I went for the vegan ravioli for dinner as it wasn't available for lunch last time I was here. It was fabulous and would be enjoyed by non vegans as well. My husband loved his seafood meal. Wine options are good, and the prices are fair:)

The next day, nothing was open early enough for breakfast, so we went back to Joshua's! I had a fabulous tofu scramble dish (again, vegan, YAY and THANK YOU).

Service was excellent during both meals, by all staff!

The only reason I didn't give this a 5 star was that the decor is very lacking, and if you go during daylight, you think you are at a cafeteria or similar. Nighttime is better, but still, it could be much better. The lack of décor wouldn't stop me from going back, but if they even just upgraded the tables and chairs, that would be nice.

Also, the girls at the bar upstairs were very slow in pulling drink orders together. It could have been a one-time thing, but I think i waited 15 mins for my espresso martini, and there was hardly anyone at the bar. Still, they were all pleasant.

THANKS for such thoughtful, quality food. It means a lot:)

Date of visit: December 2018