“Excellent service, ambience.”

Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 6, 2019

We had reservations for my son's birthday, so it was his choice.

The service was above and beyond in attentiveness and genuine friendliness. Ambience was beautiful - though the heating could have been better. We were there on a miserable wet cold past mid-December night. They had both heater on - which was coming from the floor, but a chill from the window above [some sealing could help a lot inexpensively] and there seemed to be a air vent with cool air from above when I moved away from the window. Hopefully they took heed of my comments, and have done some repair.

The food was less than excellent, though very good. Great salad and breads, and the very very light crust pizza my son ordered as appetizer to share - while not at all what I'd want if ordering for a meal - was nice as a pre-meal item.

Son ordered the basic linguini and meatballs, and seemed happy - ate it all.
If memory serves right, my daughter ordered a dish with chicken, potatoes and vegetables, and enjoyed it.
I had the shrimp with linguini in marinara, because I can not eat peppers, and they were accommodating to change it up for me. The shrimp were large and delicious. However, I found the sauce not the best... hard to explain that it was not as light as I'd like - and while I don't like over-seasoned sauces, not seasoned enough for a mid-heavy sauce... seemed to be sweet tomato alone, no garlic [though I'd mentioned garlic was fine. But I was glad it was not salty. I also found the linguini a bit heavy. But since we'd had the pizza, I was satisfied to not eat it all.

Unfortunately we missed out on trying desserts - most of which sounded most appealing - because we had a handmade birthday cake waiting at the house.

For the prices here, I think this place can upgrade on working toward sauces and pasta perfection, being an Italian focused restaurant, everything should be at least a level higher quality than one can make from a jar at home.

Reviewed December 29, 2018

I intend to return to the Cucina on my next visit and hopefully everyone after that.
I know the St Louis MO "Hill" Italian reputation and the Cucina certainly rivals their recognition. The service was exceptional. The food was beyond that. I started with the chicken soup. Very tasty that I could have made a meal of this alone. The chicken parmigiana was truly the best I have ever had. The other members of the family were also positively impressed and agreed we need to keep this in our restaurant on our go to list.

Reviewed December 18, 2018

I came here for an early Christmas celebration with my wife and my mother. I had the pork scallopini with wild mushrooms which was absolutely exceptional. My wife and mother both had the slow-roasted salmon which they said was delicious.

I wasn't as impressed with the service. The server was not particularly friendly. When she initially asked if we wanted to order drinks, I asked for a wine list. A few minutes later a different server came over and asked if we wanted to order drinks - I told her I was waiting for the wine list. A few minutes later, the original server came back with a wine list and I was able to order a bottle of wine. At "fine dining" establishments, I expect the server to check if customers are getting low on wine and re-fill the glasses - that didn't happen.

Reviewed December 18, 2018

I consistently good Italian restaurant with moderate prices and large portions. We have enjoyed brunch, lunch and dinner at Cucina. Service is attentive. Food is, if not NYC gourmet, quite pleasant and varied. Meats are fresh and generally lean cuts. Nice desserts.

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed December 15, 2018

Granted, gluten-free pizza is NOT why you go to an Italian restaurant. BUT, if you're going to offer it, it should match your quality aspirations. No dice. My friend had a regular pizza which purportedly had little flavor (matching my thoughts on the tomato sauce).
I can handle it, but not at the cost. Our bill, two 'personal' pizzas and 2 light drinks: $57 without tip.

Date of visit: November 2018