“Look For Peace & Contentment Here & You Just Might Find It!”

Karma Triyana Dharmachakra Tibetan Buddhist Monastery
Ranked #3 of 19 things to do in Woodstock
More attraction details
Owner description: A beautiful and serene monastery that serves as a retreat and study center and is worth a visit.
Reviewed August 24, 2013

The monastery as at the top of a winding, hilly road outside of Woodstock and at the bottom of Overlook Mountain. The grounds are a bit unkempt, as are what appear to be dormitories,. On the other hand, the inside is beautiful, ornate, calming and offers a good respite, if you allow yourself to sit quietly and take it all in.

2  Thank Clubess1

Reviewed August 22, 2013

It is difficult to review religious places. But it appears that the place was very welcoming and worth visiting if you are in the area. Come and see for yourself. Parking for trailhead to the mountaintop is next to the temple – so you can do both – visiting the site and hike to the mountain as long as you like. The trail is obviously uphill, but it is a dirty road – so walking is easy.

1  Thank cecexo_ny
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I'm not a Buddhist, but I do meditate and am drawn to Buddhist beliefs. So when we planned a trip to the Woodstock area, I found the Monastery and was excited to visit. We took the tour and our guide was great. Very interesting information provided about Buddhism and mindfulness meditation. The Shrine room is beautiful and I enjoyed learning the significance of everything in the room. We were able to stay for a bit after the tour and meditate in the shrine room. The setting of KTD was beautiful and I loved seeing the prayer flags hanging everywhere as we drove closer to the monastery. Lovely experience!!

4  Thank MP_PhD1203
Reviewed July 19, 2013

A lady in a shop told us about this place and we took a drive up the mountain. It was very peaceful and we were welcomed by the people there and invited to go in when we were cautious as we had shorts on. There is a nice prayer trail. It is such a wooded area that you do not get a view from being so high but that didn't matter

1  Thank efoden
Reviewed July 10, 2013

OK, it is really odd to review a religious site. That said, it was quiet and peaceful and very beautiful. Not being Buddhist, although I know about the prostrations, I basically removed my shoes, went in quietly and sat in a folding chair at the back of the sanctuary. Eventually I was emboldened to get up closer and look at the photos of the rinpoche and the prayers on the lamps. I guess it's like visiting a cathedral - even if you aren't a member, you may feel enveloped by the peacefulness. Book store was closed, so no comment on that.

3  Thank JaxAmerican