“Beautiful Views of Catskilss & Hudson Valley”
Review of Overlook Mountain

Overlook Mountain
Ranked #1 of 20 things to do in Woodstock
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in the Catskill park region, Overlook Mountain beckons nature lovers with its trails and campgrounds.
Reviewed May 2, 2013

This place is magical. I heard Jimi Hendrix & Bob Dylan used to go up Overlook for inspiration. The views are breathtaking and the hike isn't too bad. It is a steady incline all the way up but totally doable and well worth any struggle! I would highly recommend this to anybody!

All reviews
in 9 reviews
"wide trail"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed April 28, 2013

We did the 2.5 mile hike to the fire tower. Round trip took us three hours. My husband is very fit and I am not so I took the steep uphill very slowly and paced myself. By that night, it was painful to move my legs and the muscle soreness continued into the next day. The steep stony fire path doesn't offer much interest or beauty.

That said, the view from the top is spectacular. The abandoned hotel is really interesting. We spent the morning on the hike and then stopped at the temple on our return before going to lunch in Woodstock. It's worth it and even with the (literal) pain in the butt you feel like you have gotten a worthwhile and free workout with a breathtaking payoff at the top.

1  Thank Melissa H
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Whenever my husband and I are in the area, we'll stop by for the quick hike and then head to town for lunch. You wouldn't expect to be too close to nature while on a fire road, but we've seen a few garden snakes and frogs as well as some pretty wildflowers growing on the side of the path during late spring. If you're looking for some distance, follow the fire road up to the fire tower for the view, then hang a right at the sign near the hotel ruins to continue downhill to Echo Lake (I think the total out-and-back from the parking lot is 10 miles). The trail to the lake is more of a traditional hiking path.

3  Thank spartag00se
Reviewed December 24, 2012

This is not an easy hike, just to let you know. However, I was eight months pregnant and managed to go the whole way! It is worth every minute- bring a camera! There's not much to see at first, but there are gorgeous old ruins, and the view from the top is magnificent! A great day hike. Another plus- the entrance is across the road from the Buddhist Monastery so there is a place to rest and recoup!

1  Thank DCBNY