“Woodside Thai--decent, very fast, huge portions”
Review of Suki Thai Shabu - CLOSED

Suki Thai Shabu
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed October 22, 2013

On a whim, I and a vegetarian friend who for many years was a private chef decided to try “Suki Thai Shabu.” The restaurant was small and clean, and could be cozy -- just don't sit directly across from the door. The maître d', who doubled as our waitress, was warm, charming and helpful.

We shared an appetizer of Thai spring rolls (only three for two people—Really?)($5). They were hot and good, the sauce not too hot to the taste. My chef friend remarked that she had never seen glass noodles in spring rolls. Frankly, the outside crust was too thick. It made me reminisce about Le Colonial, and I was wishing we were eating their appetizer rolls; but for an impromptu dinner, these were okay. I wouldn’t order them again, though.

For the entrée, my chef friend had “Non-Fried Pad Thai: A Healthy Version of Pad Thai with Choice of Chicken, Shrimp or Vegetable” ($10). She reported that while it wasn’t the best she had ever had, it was flavorful; and the portion was very generous. To me, it looked like a serving for two. I had a special dish of grilled salmon with yellow peppers and carrots, in a lightly spiced brownish liquid sauce, with jasmine rice ($15). The salmon was very slightly overdone (crunchy on its edges), and the center of the fish was duly cooked through and through. I will eat only well done meats and fish, so I was happy; but some people might have preferred the salmon less well done. Its sauce was delicious—not heavy at all, the consistency of a clear soup, very fragrant, and balanced the salmon well. My friend remarked, “There must be nine ounces of salmon there.” I had to agree--mine, too, was a very large portion. The veggies had been marinating in the sauce for a long time and were almost as good as candy. I wish there had been a few more! The sauce was delicious with the jasmine rice. I finished every morsel.

We didn’t have time for dessert (but we didn’t have room, anyway). I would return – the salmon really was quite good; but I would pass on the spring rolls and try something else.