“Impressive views”

Chimney Bluffs State Park
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Wolcott
Reviewed October 12, 2013

A free state park with easy access, lots of picnic areas, and great natural phenomenon’s. The trails to the bluffs are a little rough to get to, but the walk along the beach is nice, and there some great views of Sodus point. Also, the drive coming from the south goes through some spectacular apple orchards. I can't wait to come back in the spring when the orchards ars in bloom.

All reviews
in 6 reviews
"awesome views"
"tough hike"

Reviewed September 16, 2013

My sister stopped by on a whim on our way back for a long weekend at the Finger Lakes. It was well worth the extra hour in the car. We opted to start at the lesser used entry/parking place. This spot takes you directly to the section with the bluffs. Definitely is the most dramatic scenery of the lake shore!

3  Thank miscmusings
Reviewed September 15, 2013

My wife and I visited today. We parked in the lot at the west side of the park. One reviewer allowed as how that lot was a long walk to the lake. Well you're there for walk by the lake and maybe a picnic, so enjoy the walk. We brought sandwiches and ate them with a view of the water. We then proceeded to the beach toward the parking lot at the east end. Be prepared to climb over some tree trunks--not a big deal. The views were fine. I hope to develop some good photos. Then we walked back on the bluff trail, or tried to. My wife got ahead of me while I took pictures. I made a wrong turn and took a different trail back. We managed to find each other later. The walks were on the whole quite pleasant and scenic. I'm giving it only four stars because the trails are not really marked at all. There are "unofficial" side trails to confuse simple minds like mine. But go and have fun.

It was only Sept. 15 but the water fountain had been turned off. Bring your own if you want a sip.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

My family and I enjoyed a picnic on the beach before taking a short hike up to the bluffs. There is a grassy picnic area which overlooks the water but we enjoyed laying out a blanket atop the smooth round stones of the beach. After putting away our picnic supplies we took a leisurely hike up the trail. The park, the beach, and the trails are all spotless and we enjoyed the day thoroughly.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We visited the state park on Labor Day. We actually paddled to the park from East Bay. The scenery is very different from the typical NYS landscapes and that really made the trip interesting. There are narrow trails along with a rocky beach, both make for a good stroll with the beach being more enjoyable during good weather. It was hot and the water was inviting enough that I took a swim after we took a break from paddling to eat lunch on the beach. Make sure you bring your camera, you will take some great shots. The rocks that come down from the erosion of bluffs are even cool looking.